Old 01-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #1  
Addicted to potato salad!

Default new to calorie counting

Hi everyone. I am brand spankin new to calorie counting. I was inspired by a health project I helped my daughter with on it and realized it really makes sense and is easier than it seemed, so I'm giving it a whirl. I'm a firm believer in the Sugar Busters plan, so I am devising an SB hybrid that involves counting calories as well...in other words, counting calories with SB legal fare.

I'm starting with a 1400 per day goal, but realize I have to add in calories from everything. Yesterday, I counted about 1200 calories, but forgot to add the half n half in my coffee and the splenda and so it probably was closer to 1400.

I'm started doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, but find its a little too intense for me and I find I avoid it. So, I started last week with Leslie Sansone's new walking video. Yesterday I tried the 2 mile walk and was pleasantly surprised with how hard it pushed me without making me feel like I was going to pop my eyes out of my head or blow a gasket. I sweat like crazy. So, I am going to try and do this every day.

A couple of years ago I lost almost 30 lbs on Sugar Busters. I found it easy to follow and it seemed to work for me. I hit a plateau and became frustrated and, of course, started to be lenient, which eventually led to a complete abandonment of the plan. I ended up gaining it all back and then some. A couple of weeks ago, I went to the doctor for a check up and I was exactly one pound less than I was when I was in labor with my son nine years ago. The doctor asked me to lose 15 pounds by the time I have my next pap smear, which is on March 15. So, i have upped that to make it 25. I know i can do it because those first few pounds seem to come off easily.

Anyhow...i like the idea of counting calories with sugar busters fare. I tend to say, "Hey, Triscuits are legal!"...but half the box is not. Counting calories will help me to stick to the serving sizes. I hope.

This morning, my breakfast was as follows:

Kashi Go lean crunch, 1 cup 190
1/2 gigantic green-tipped banana 60
milk, 1 cup 100
Orange juice, 8 oz. 120

total for breakfast is 470. Is this good? My moderator on the SB thread says that a guideline is you should eat like a king for breakfast, a commoner for lunch and a pauper for dinner. i like this. Breakfast is my favorite meal.

Thanks...you'll be seeing me around here!

Kris
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

techwife,

I would have skipped the juice personally and eaten a piece of fruit as snack later in the day. I would also try to get heavy protein into your breakfast--personally I like egg whites. At 17 calories each, you cannot go wrong. You will probably find like most of us that lots of protein help you to be satiated through the day. You will hear differing advice on the king/pauper thing. In my opinion, as long as you are under your calorie goals daily, you are going to be okay. It matters WHAT you eat, not when you eat. Welcome to calories counting. I love it and it's doable for me.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #3  
Artsy Fartsy Girl

S/C/G: 268/226/185

Height: 5'6"

Don't forget Sugar Busters lets you eat good fats! Fat makes me feel full, if I ate all whole grain carbs I'd still be starving and feel like crud.
dolphinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #4  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I tend to keep my breakfast high in protein and low in calories. Most of my breakfasts are under 250 calories.

egg subsiture (costco real eggs)
100 calorie english muffins
low fat ham
laughing cow cheese

I too would have skip the juice in favor of whole fruit, I frankly never drink anything with calories and I never count the calories in my coffee, it is JUST a given!

I count and weigh and measure everything.

I tend to use most of my calories for dinner because that is my family meal.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #5  

The juice is no sugar added juice...just the juice. The kashi cereal has 9 grams of protien. Is this a good amount? it really keeps me happy till lunch.

Okay...off to walk with Leslie (Sansone). Two miles!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #6  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

the best part about calorie counting is you get to do what works for YOU!
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #7  
Oh buddy, it's on!

techwife I have Kashi GoLean cereal practiaclly every morning for breakfast. It's delicious and satisfying. I personally don't have the luxury of making breakfast in the morning due to my schedule and Kashi cereal is not only quick and easy but also healthy. It's also a really good source for fiber and protein, two things I sometimes lack in my diet. As another poster mentioned, I also try my hardest not to drink my calories. So, I personally would substitute the juice for a piece of fruit or maybe even a boiled egg. But of course, the beauty of CC is figuring out what works for you!. Best of luck!
Katy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #8  

Okay...I hope you don't mind if i post my food I eat and see if I'm doing it right.

Lunch today was:

2 eggs - 140
tbsp margarine - 80
3 mushrooms - 7
green pepper - 50 (ish)
1 medium apple - 130
raw baby carrots - 35
and a big glass of water.

My total for lunch was 442. Breakfast ws 470. This leaves me with almost 500 calories for dinner and a snack.

Am I doing it right?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #9  

techwife....do you know about how many calories the walk tape burns?
Thanks!
L.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #10  

The best I could come up with is a calorie burning counter website and at my weight (195 - if i can't be honest here, where can I be honest, right? LOL), aerobic exercise for a half hour burns 265 calories. That sounds about right to me. What do you think?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #11  

Thank you. I went to a few sites myself, but the average seemed to be about 100 cals burned for 1 mile, so I'm thinking her 2 miles has to be 200, right
They didn't specify weight, height, age etc.
The good thing is, it'll do your body good!
Thanks for getting back so quickly, and good luck to you.
L.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #12  

They say the more you weigh, the more calories you lose during exercise.