Old 01-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default Did it take time to get the "right" leader for you?

I have been to a Wednesday morning meeting, a couple Thursday night meetings and just yesterday, a Saturday morning meeting.

I was amazed at how differently the leaders conducted their meetings. They each had their own styles and personalities. One was very subdued and almost acted bored. While another was almost too upbeat, "We can do it. Yes we can!!!"

I didn't think that each meeting would be so different; the entire group of people that attended each had their own "vibes".

Last night I was talking to a woman who has been on WW for several years and she mentioned that it took her about 2 months to find that "perfect fit". I didn't really think about that.

I am going to go to the Saturday morning meeting again because so far, this is the group/leader I felt the most comfortable with.

Did it take anyone here a while to find that "fit"?

Marie
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #2  
Warning 3FC Addict

S/C/G: 256.6/225.2/155-ish

Height: 5'11"

Default ...

I lucked out. My first meeting seemed good to me so I've stayed. I haven't went to any of the other meetings, but I'm glad this one stuck.

I get the vibes thing too. I'm not a hundred percent content with some of the ladies in the meeting, but the leader was alright in my opinion, and I made meeting-friends with two ladies so far, so I'll stick to it.
zanheltangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #3  
So Ready

I also lucked out on my first meeting. I love the leader; she's hilarious and motivating, and her meeting is peppered with enough humor to keep things lively without seeming like she's not genuine or earnest in her quest to help us.

The one thing my husband wasn't too sure about was that the leader is a little heavy. I guess he expected it would be someone who'd experienced more success on the plan. I figure even leaders have their struggles.
traceriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/270/135

Height: 5'6"

I've been doing WW on and off for 5 years. In that time, 50% of the reason that I end up not going to meetings and eventually quitting the program altogether is because I don't like the leader or group. Same thing happened last Tuesday when I went to a meeting, I didn't like my leader. I decided to try another one on Friday and lucked out, this woman was fantastic. It was a total change from the other meeting. It was a small group with only 8-9 people and she was energetic and was able to get people to come out of their shells and participate. It was refreshing to have such a good meeting.
Jaimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I was going to the Saturday meetings closest to my apt for a while and the group/leader was a hooooorrible fit with me. Our meetings were so depressing, everyone just sat around and b**ched about how awful their lives were. I ended up switching to my old leader from back in high school; I have to drive an extra 15 min but it's worth it! I'm actually moving to TN in a few month and nervous about having to find the right group again.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 166/160/140

Height: 5'4"

I've just been with WW for 2 weeks. I've tried 2 different group times in my local center. The first -- our Sunday AM group -- is pretty good. The leader is upbeat and fun and the group is large and kind of rowdy. It's a bit like an old time revival meeting when the folks start getting up for their "awards". The second meeting was run by a guy who seemed to think he was Henny Youngman ("take my wife...please" kind of humor). Not so appealing to me. I'll probably check out a couple of other meetings, but I think I'll stick to Sunday morning as my main one.
threegreygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #7  

I am glad that WW has so many different days/times that we can all get that "right fit". Today was my second meeting with the Saturday morning leader and she is great!

I can only imagine how someone who didn't feel that "right fit" with the group and/or leader would be unmotivated to continue.

The gal from work who started with me was unsure about trying different days/times and this morning she commented how she "really like this group and its leader much better than any of the others".
Old 02-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #8  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

You know, try even going to a different area. Because the same thing happened with me.

I went with my cousin one time and LOVED the leader. I have to drive 25-30 mins to get to the meeting I go to, but it's worth it. She's an awesome lady.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #9  
Warning 3FC Addict

I was content with my current leader until we had a sub. Wow, the substitute was so much more energetic and positive, a great speaker! I think I'll stay with my current leader for another two weeks though, I'll be too far away after that to keep heading down, so I'll be hunting for a new leader myself further north!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am not a formal WW. But, I follow most of the principles and have a respect for the program. I went to ONE meeting--the free one. Our facilitator was so horrifically BAD that I decided I could not sign up. She actually called me down in the meeting to start asking me questions! Then, she proceeded to ask the entire group why I was wrong! OMG! Crazy lady. It's a good thing I didn't see her in the parking lot afterwards. I called the center to ask if I could attend another facilitators meeting and was refused. So, I have gone down the road alone--well, actually I joined 3FC so I am hardly alone! LOL.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #11  
Warning 3FC Addict

Wow! That was harsh! Definitely not the leader for me either. I'd get too upset to keep going to that meeting, I didn't join WW to be embarrassed or put on the spot like that!

Glad to hear that you've been just fine on your own! Great work,
Old 02-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #12  

Thank you. Much of the information from WW can be found free online. I like the support of the 3FC--I think that's what I was looking for when I attended the meeting. I will never put down WW though--too closely aligned to what has worked for me.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #13  

WOW TBG -

See that unfortunately is the preconceived impression of HOW an actual meeting will go and that's why there are people who avoid going to a WW meeting!

I am one of those "fix it" people and I would probably contact WW directly and let them know how disappointed you were in this particular leader and that she is the reason you won't attend.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #14  

Yep, see I am one of those "fix-it" people too and DID contact the center and WW directly after being refused by the center. I did do it online but nope, never heard a thing.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #15  

Good for you! But what a shame