Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 01-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #1  

Question When does plus sized clothing actually start?

Hi all. There's something I've been wondering about for the longest time. When exactly does plus sized clothing start? Does it start at 16? 18? I always thought it started at 18 but then I read someone mentioning it starts at 14!

Also, what exactly is the difference between sizes that say women's and misses? How are they different from plus sizes? Or is one of them a plus size? Is a size 18 in jeans different than one that's labeled 18W?

There are so many conflicting opinions out there on the net about sizes.
Lucky Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #2  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

The 18 & 18W Are definetly different. 18W is about a size larger than a regular size 18.

Misses is smaller Than womens.

I do think that 14 & up is plus size ~thats what I have always read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus-size_clothing ~Click on this link to read more.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #3  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

Im pretty sure that plus sizes start at size 14. I know Lane Bryant starts at 14 so thats just what I think.

I think the only difference between misses and womens would be the woman its geared toward fitting. Misses are usually for younger adults and Im pretty sure tend to be a little more form fitting than women's clothing which is more geared toward a fuller figured woman that doesnt like tighter clothes. Plus sized is for larger sizes I guess 14 & up. lol. The difference between the 18 and the 18W is just that the 18W is slightly bigger than the plain 18 but not quite a 20.

Its just what Ive always thought. My understanding may be wrong! They shouldnt make it so confusing!!
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #4  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

It's confusing isn't it! This is how I understand it...

One point of confusion is that plus sized models are a misses size 12 and up. I'd love to be that kind of plus sized!

In stores, traditional misses sizes are 0-14. Plus sizes are indicated with a W after the number. So a 14W-24W and up or 1X, 2X, 3X are all plus sized.

Plus sized clothes are cut more generously - bigger in the hips/rear/chest etc. A 14W is generally equivalent to a misses sized 16. A 16W is generally comparable to a misses sized 18. Of course, the fact that every clothing company seems to come up with their own definition of what dimensions their sizes will fit makes it all the more challenging.

Personally, I think the emergence of 16s and 18s in the "regular" departments in the last several years is because stores are trying to cater to an ever expanding clientele - and by expanding I mean waistlines. There is also a stigma attached to plus sized clothes and those on the border between plus and misses probably would rather shop in the misses department. It's psychological more than anything.

Now all of this only applies to the US. UK sizing is different. Their size 18 is more like a 16 here.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #5  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

it starts at 14. i've always been fat and when i was 12 and in a size 14 i caught heck trying to find clothes for my age group. i always wound up in the large women section....enough crappy childhood recollections, plus size starts at 14.
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's important to understand that sizing is not well-standardized, and for the most part never has been (though attempts have been made, starting around 60 years ago, to universalize sizing, it never worked quite as well as hoped).

Sizes continue to vary tremendously from manufacturer to manufacturer, and so where standard, plus-sizes, and "extended plus sizes" begin and end (as well as the measurements that determine each size) often depends upon whom you're asking.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-23-2010 at 12:48 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #7  

Aww... well thanks girls. I was psyching myself up for size 16 thinking, yay, I won't be in plus sizes anymore! Oh well. Each size down is still a reason to celebrate.
Lucky Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #8  

Height: 6-1.5

It's all totally funny to me. At 6-1 and 1/2 I am virtually skin and bones at size 14 and yet I have to wear "plus-sized" clothes. Go figure.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 241/223/160

Height: 5'4"

I've always thought plus started at size 14, even though dept stores usually have some 16's and 18's on the misses racks. But some exclusive stores don't stock larger than a 10 and call everything above 10 "plus".

I do find that the 16 - 18s and even size 20s that I find on misses racks are cut and proportioned very differently than the 16 - 18 - 20 I find in women's or "plus" stores.

The true "plus" tops are longer, the "plus" pant legs are much wider with a longer rise (which is something I don't need, so it's really frustrating when I get a waist/hip that fits well and legs that look like clown pants).
Mariella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post
Personally, I think the emergence of 16s and 18s in the "regular" departments in the last several years is because stores are trying to cater to an ever expanding clientele - and by expanding I mean waistlines. There is also a stigma attached to plus sized clothes and those on the border between plus and misses probably would rather shop in the misses department. It's psychological more than anything.
It's funny that you said that--I've been overweight all my life and when I was a teenager (early 70s) I could find size 16 and 18 in regular stores. I don't know when they stopped carrying those sizes because I rushed on up and out of them as a young adult, but when I did lose weight again and got down to a size 16 I was surpised to no longer be able to find that size in "regular" clothes--and a lot of stores didn't even have 14.

Must be one of those cycles everything goes through!

Jane

Last edited by Alajane; 02-10-2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Alajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:47 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Torrid starts as low as size 12. But I think most places start at 14.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:50 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post

I've often wondered why major clothing stores ( JC Penny, Sears, etc ) don't have all clothing combined. It kind of irks me that they separate them like they do.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Keep in mind it's been relatively recently that stores have started carrying 18s (and sometimes even 20s) in the regular section. When I was a kid, The Gap was the only normal store that carried 16s. I bought all my clothes there until the dreaded day that I had to start shopping in the plus size stores. At that time, Gap 16 was pretty equal to Lane Bryant 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post
I've often wondered why major clothing stores ( JC Penny, Sears, etc ) don't have all clothing combined. It kind of irks me that they separate them like they do.
Well if they actually carried the same clothes in both sections than I'd be okay with combining them. But it makes no sense to combine them when the selections are so completely different. As it is, I find it crushing to see a really cute shirt in the plus size section, only to find it's a mis-placed top from the regular section. If they combined the plus and regular sections I'd be running desparately from rack to rack only to be repeatedly disapointed that none of the stuff I like goes up to my size.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 02-21-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #14  

I know Torrid starts at a size twelve, and I think Lane Bryant might start at a fourteen or a sixteen. I'm not sure about Avenue (I want to say fourteen), but I know Forever 21's "Faith 21" line starts at a thirteen/fourteen and has some eleven/twelve pieces. Old Navy's plus-sized section begins at a sixteen, but Old Navy is all over the place in terms of sizing.
FiatLux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/120????

Height: 5'2"

I always thought that plus sizes started at size 12. I didn't know Torrid had standard sizes. I went into the store and everything was labeled 0,1,2,3 etc... very confusing. I tried on a zero but it was too big but I don't really understand why they would size like that. Maybe because its slightly less embarrassing to shout i need a size two instead of can you hand me a size 18.
mrsmoore is offline   Reply With Quote