Old 01-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #1  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Default Help with breakfast, new t2 diabetic

Hello everyone,
I am new here and I am enjoying this forum. There are so many things to read! Please forgive me if this has been brought up many times but I am looking for some advice regarding breakfast. I am a fairly new type 2 diabetic on 50 mg Glucobay (Acarbose) at each meal. It converts fast carbs into slower carbs. I have found it helpful and my sugars now under better control. I find after breakfast is the hardest time to keep my sugar level. Before I was diagnosed, I never ate breakfast but I really make an effort to eat it every morning now even though I am not usually hungry before 10am. My breakfast consists of two small pieces of weight watchers wheat bread (100 cal) with 1 tbsp natural peanut butter (90 cal) and a black tea sweetened with Splenda. I occasionally have an Egg Beater omelet when I actually have an appetite. I find if I eat any more than this, my sugar spikes and I feel so tired and lethargic. There is a lot of dieting advice out there and most say that breakfast should be a large meal to help boost metabolism. My metabolism is very sluggish, I am not usually very hungry even on a 1200 - 1400 cal diet. It is especially slow since I quit smoking three weeks ago and I am looking for ways to boost it.

Anyway, I was wondering what other t2 diabetics eat for breakfast and do you have any suggestions on what I should be eating (400 cals or less) that won't spike my sugar too high.

Thanks in advance for the help
Amanda
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

you toast with peanut butter is actually not a bad start, you get protein, fat and if it is whole grain bread, you get a slower burn carb.
What type of peanut butter do you use? So many brands have added sugar, so I would suggest craft no added sugar if you want a smooth homogenized peanut butter, or a natural (with oil on top) if that is ok. be a careful label reader.
A sprouted grain bread might also give you slower burning carbs.
As a alternative, I make steel cut oatmeal, cooking the oats in milk or unsweetened soy milk instead of water. I make several servings at a time since it takes a while to cook, then divide them up and reheat on mornings when I am more hurried.
Fibre one mixed with yoghurt (I used non-fat source vanilla yoghurt) is also good.
Today I made a miller sandwich, a fried egg, slice of low fat havarti cheese and slice of low-fat chicken breast on sprouted grain bread, a little mayo.

my husband is also someone who can't eat first thing. He has gotten into the habit of having a glass of soy milk shortly after waking up, then he is ready for a good meal an hour later.
welcome to our group, Amanda, and best wishes
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #3  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

At just over 200 calories, each morning I have a protein smoothie. Through trial and error, I found that 3 whole frozen strawberries added to the mix won't cause a spike. I have been eating a liquid breakfast since 09/02/09. There are the rare occasions when I will have something more typical, like an egg sandwich, or a carb friendly breakfast burrito. But in the main, I stick with a smoothie for breakfast. My new cat has recently associated the sound of the blender with breakfast and will impatiently meow for his morning feeding.

My advice for you at this point in your journey would be to eat according to your meter. Test before your meal and test after your meal (2hrs afterwards). We are all unique and respond differently to different foods. Good luck and best wishes. By the way, good job on quitting smoking.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

-- oatmeal with natural bran w/skim milk & splenda
-- ww english muffin/140 + egg/80 + lf chz/30 = 250
-- natural cream of wheat w/skim milk & splenda
-- fried egg sandwich/100/80/lf chz/30 = 220
-- med ww bagel/220 + PB/90 + tsp honey/20 = 330
-- veggie/pizza/western omelette + chz + tst/50 = < 200 cals
-- grilled cheese & ketchup = 180 (use low fat cheese)
-- toasted fried ham & cheese sandwich = 230 or <
-- ww english muffin with PB or Cheese = < 250 cals
-- lf/sf bran or other whole grain muffin(s) = 200 or <
-- whole grain or bran cereal w/skim milk = < 200 cals
-- bacon & 1.5 eggs + tst/50 = about 300 cals
-- mini raisin toast/120 with PB = < 300 cals
-- French raisin toast + SF Maple Syrup/30 = 230

NOTE: using WW low cal whole grain bread gives you more leeway; but you can have these with regular whole grain tst too; they vary in the calories so sometimes I just have one slice and cut it in half (looks like two slices). I have found more breads like HOLLYWOOD and a Mealtyme Cinnamon-Raisin bread that are also around 50-60 calories each.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-18-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #5  
Madeleine

such good ideas in this forum. z: I wonder if you ever add a pre-biotic inulin fibre to your smoothies, can slow down any spikes.
My husband just bought a new blender and is experimenting with smoothies. Might be a good way to go for me too.
thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/153/138

I saute' one zucchini, 3 mushrooms and some other leftover veggie if available in PAM, and bit of canola oil. Add 1/2 cup egg substitute. Flaxmeal and minced garlic. 2 tblsp. grated parmasan ontop when done. Black coffee. Have that for breakfast every day we are home. Also do over an hour on the exercise bike first thing in the morning, right after I serve hubby his breakfast. That breakfast keeps me satisfied and also keeps me from over eating the rest of the day. No spikes. If I have whole grain anything there are spikes, doesn't matter how wonderful and nutritious it's supposed to be, cereal in particular does me in, always has. Just a suggestion of course.
results not typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #7  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

fatmad - I've only added fiber to my smoothies when I get backed up. This usually happens when I have a carnivorous feeding frenzy and forget to eat some roughage.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #8  

Hi. I was just diagnosed too. I eat 3/4 cup of Kashi Heart Healthy cinnamon cereal w/milk and a string cheese.

I don't know how many calories, but not too many. I eat it at 8:15 and it holds me until noon, no problem.

Good luck. I first hand how hard this diagnosis is.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #9  
Madeleine

I have gone lower carb (about 30g/day) to boost my weight loss, (yes its working great and the sugars are great too) and following z's advice of having smoothies. I use a cup of soy milk, 2 tbsp yoghurt, some protein whey powder, and a bit of fruit, (whatever is on hand) with some benefibre thrown in. I don't need it sweet, so don't add any sweetener, but thats a possibility if you want to.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Smoothies! I'd forgotten about them. I must put whey powder on my list.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I agree -- keep a food log and add the meter readings to it for before eating the thing and 2 hours after eating the thing. You will learn what spikes you.

For me, I try to just skip most "breakfast food" which tends to be carb heavy (cereals, toast, etc) and just have lunch or dinner food from the day before.

Oatmeal, eggs are about the only "traditional" breakfast foods that don't spike me. Doesn't stop me from having cold cereal once in a while, but it is no longer my "go to" breakfast.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #12  

Yes, my dh and I use eggs or egg substitutes for breakfast. I eat one zucchini, several mushrooms and some leftover veggies like cauliflower or brussel sprouts sauteed in a pan with PAM and bit of canola oil, let it brown a tad, then add 1/2 cup of egg subs. or egg whites (you can buy them) in, then add 2 tblsp. flaxmeal and minced garlic, then grated Parmasan when done, on top. Have eaten this for almost 5 years for my breakfast when at home. My dh eats some cereal for a snack, dry now and then, but has to be very careful which cereal it is, none of those 40 carb gr. ones for sure. Even oatmeal does him no favors, but oat bran cooked is ok. I have been doing the "DTour" plan for awhile, have lost 24 pounds so far. Can have very dark chocolate so that helps me stay on plan, since I'm a chocolate lover.

Take care folks.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 258/236/175

There is a recipe for 'protein pancakes' that was posted by meowee. I ate them every weekend until I had really good control of my blood glucose. They are absolutely delicious and never spiked me.

doggirl
doggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #14  

Thanks, I will look for that recipe right away!!

Doris