Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #1  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Default Tip for making a quick and healthier soup

Hello, I am still fairly new here and I love the forum
I came up with a good idea for a healthier lunch this week. My usual lunch consists of half a can of soup and some plain tuna on Wasa bread (thin hard multi-grain wafers). My usual Campbells ready made herb chicken soup has 100 cals in a serving but it has very little nutrition and isn't very filling. I decided to improve my can of soup by loading it with veggies. I added two cups on frozen California veggie mix (broccoli, cauliflower, carrot) a serving of frozen asparagus and one serving of frozen precooked chicken strips. I also added a cup of water and lots of spicy Mrs. Dash. I just boiled the soup for five minutes and stored half in the fridge for the next day. It's even better the second day too.
I ended up with two servings of spicy soup that was very filling and stuck with me. Half the recipe is about 280 calories, 2.8 grams of fat and 25 grams of protein. If you are having something with it, you can easily divide it into three smaller servings instead. Granted the sodium is still a little high but it's not terrible if you don't add any extra salt. I hope this tip is useful to others who want to make their canned soup healthier in a pinch

Amanda
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote