Old 01-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/244/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Totally discouraged today

Well I weighed myself this morning and I only maybe lost 1lb. I was 256 on my scale last thursday and this morning it was 255. I was 255/253 on weight watchers scale. I lost 10lbs my first week on my coworkers plan, but changed to weight watchers cuz it was more convienent. And now I only lost 1lb. I'm so upset. I just wanted to cry this morning. I stayed well within my point range. I weigh in tonight at weight watchers and I'm terrified of what it is going to say. I'm just so upset. I realistically can't follow my co workers plan day in and out... I just don't know what to do. I know I'll quit if I only lose 1lb a week.
moveforward73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #2  

Height: 5'10"

Was your first week on the coworker's plan your first week of dieting period? I know I always lose a big number the first week cause it's water weight. 1-2 lbs a week is a normal and healthy loss. Maybe just make sure you stay at the low end of your points range, you may lose a bit faster by doing that.
jewelrymaker81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

1-2 lbs is normal and healthy and safe. Experts say that the faster you lose, the more likely you are to gain it back.

If you quit because you ONLY lose 1 lb a week (this week, I lost .1, so I would have loved to see a whole pound!--but I was thrilled to see a lose, at least!) then you won't lose ANY lbs a week. In fact, if you're anything like me, you'll GAIN weight every week.

Keep with it! It's a healthy lifestyle you're starting, not a temporary diet that you'll be abel to ditch once you get to your goal. So it doesn't matter how slowly it goes, because you'll be doing this the rest of your life.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #4  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

1 pound is nothing to be upset about! As the PP said, 1-2lbs a week is healthy. Remember that this weight didn't magically appear in one week, so expecting it to disappear in one week isn't realistic.

Stay focused and work on a better YOU. This is a lifestyle change and it takes time. Give it all you've got and be proud that you're one pound closer to your goal. Drink plenty of water and eat healthy.
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

moveforward, don't you be discouraged! Weightloss takes some tinkering around with for many of us! Don't you quit! You can do this. I applaud you for trying to find something that is realistic and doable day in and day out forever. YAY you! The time ahead of you will pass regardless. If you lose one pound a week for the next year you will lose more than 50 pounds! OMGosh--50 pounds! That is nothing to be upset about! If you stay your course and start experimenting with food intake and activity I would bet that number would even go up! Congrats on your success thus far.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #6  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Don't be ready to throw in the towel just yet. I agree about the first week -- in the first two weeks I lost almost 12 pounds. But it has definitely slowed this week. And the scale was just stuck for days. I find it's not unusual to have a big whoosh all at once one day after seemingly little progress.

I remember you writing about your co-worker. And that plan didn't seem to great. It sounds - although I don't think you've said it - like a restrictive fad diet.

You are much better off sticking with WW and a lifestyle change and just figuring out what works for you.

If you're really concerned, I would look at things like my salt and water intake, which can also affect the scale.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
I know I'll quit if I only lose 1lb a week.
What are your options?

If you lose 1 pound a week, a year from now you will be just about to slide under 200 pounds. If you quit, what do you think you will weigh a year from now? If you are like me, you will weigh more than you do now.

As the others have said, weight loss fluctuates. If you had stayed on your coworkers plan, odds are that you would not have lost 10 pounds the second week. You said that realistically can't follow my co workers plan day in and out. You need to find a plan that you can follow forever!
I suggest that you give WW a little more time. If your loss is still too slow for you, you can tweak WW too by dropping your points a little.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #8  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I haven't lost any weight since October. Not a single ounce. I guess I could have given up, but then what? Go back to being 90 pounds heavier and miserable? No thanks.

Think of it this way: If you give up because you're 'only' losing a pound a week, then where will you be? Right back at your starting weight, or maybe even heavier, and you'll maybe feel like a quitter too. That's no solution.

Losing a pound a week may seem slow, but the fact is that it will add up quickly. There's no way you could lose ten pounds a week every week, unless you're doing an extreme program like they do on The Biggest Loser, and even then most of the women only lose five or six pounds a 'week' (their weeks are actually closer to twelve days.)

Some weeks you will lose two pounds, even three. Some weeks you might not lose at all. You're going to have to adjust your expectations in order to be successful, that's all there is to it. But the great part is that you're *losing*, and it's going to make a huge difference in your health and how you feel. That's totally worth it, no matter how long it takes. I promise.

Last edited by thistoo; 01-21-2010 at 09:42 AM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #9  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

I'll probably repeat most of what has been said, but here goes. You better not give up! You will be right back at your starting weight and then some in no time flat. It's prefectly fine and acceptable to lose 1 # a week. I know that the loss the first week(s) gives us a false sense of hope....we think we should be able to lose that every week. But, that is not going to happen. Even if you lose a 1/2 a pound a week, in a years time, you are down 25 pounds! Well, that's a **** of a lot better than gaining 25 more pounds. It comes off a lot slower than it goes on, I will tell you that. Keep plugging away, you can so do this, we can all do this....there's gobs and gobs of proof on here with all the people that have lost tremenedous amounts of weight.

And here is a quote for you to think about (courtesey of someone on here...sorry if it is not exact):
Being Fat is Hard, Losing is Hard, Maintaining is Hard......CHOOSE YOUR HARD!
I am choosing the middle one right now!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Just chiming in to add that I agree 100%.

When we start out, we tend to be so black and white... we tend to focus on the end result without thinking about the journey.

You will be THRILLED with your progress MUCH sooner than you think! You do not have to get all the way to goal to change your life for the better.

Why don't you divide your first week loss with your second week loss? That gives you 5.5 lbs per week, which is pretty darn awesome!!!

Are you using a program to track your weight loss? Fitday will make a graph for you that lets you set your goal date and then show how you are progressing toward it. My rate of loss has been faster than necessary since the day I started, even though I've had lots of low loss or no loss weeks....

When you're starting out-- that's the hard part. You have to work harder at staying on plan because you are not used to it, and at the same time, it's too soon to really see the benefits.

But if you stop thinking long term and try to just get through one day at a time, before you know it, you'll see HUGE benefits and you won't even recognize yourself!!!

You can do this GIRLY. You DO NOT want to give up! If you did, you wouldn't be here.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

You have gotten some great advice/insight above; I agree with it all.

Some weeks you will lose more than a pound and some weeks you will lose less (or not lose at all). I have had weeks were I didn't lose a thing. Other weeks, despite being 100% on plan, I only lost .2 pounds. Then, once in awhile, I have lost more in a week than I expected. For me, weight loss is not a race, it is a marathon.

In a previous post, you stated that your co-worker's plan was untenable for you and you were switching to WW. I commented that I think that was a good move because you have to be on a plan that you can live with. The weight loss journey for most of us is a long one, and in my experience, a plan that is too restrictive or doesn't fit with your lifestyle is nearly impossible to sustain for a long period of time.

Don't give up. Figure out what works for you and keep pushing forward; it is the only way to get to your goal.

J

Last edited by LotusMama; 01-21-2010 at 10:14 AM.
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #12  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Don't be discouraged; one pound a week is great. They add up quickly!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #13  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

1lb a week! That's great! It means it's working!! There is a post and a thread here somewhere on 3FC about the scale and what it's actually weighing. Very informative. The main idea is that it is only really possible to lose 1-2lbs per week of actual fat. Most people lose quite a bit the first week they begin weight loss. You lost water weight, food weight (yes, it's gross, but true), a little muscle and a little fat that first week. Since you ate more the second week, you probably added back in some of the food weight, hopefully kept off the excess water weight and lost more fat and less muscle (since you ate a healthy amount of calories). That is awesome!!

I agree with previous posters, quitting doesn't get you anywhere. I felt very overwhelmed at the idea of trying to lose 100lbs. I thought, geez, when I've lost 50, I'll still be fat. But even after a bit over 10, I feel amazing! My clothes fit better, I have more energy, my feet don't hurt as much, skin glows from the water and healthy foods, I have so much confidence. I am off of the sugar cycle. I have more energy.

Get through these first few weeks just focusing on eating foods that are healthy for your body, drinking water and moving more. Regardless of what the scale does, that is good for your health and will make you feel better. Do the right things and the weight will take care of itself in it's own time.

You can do this!! Look around on 3FC, there are people who are accomplishing amazing things that are just like you and started just where you are. It's the real deal.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Do not consider 1 lb a failure, by any stretch of the imagination. Get "only" out of your vocabulary completely.

I've been dieting since I was 5 (38 years ago), and in all those decades of dieting, I spent more years than not, thinking that anything less than a pound per week "didn't count" - I was a fool.

I can't lose much per week any more. Borderline low thyroid, insulin resistance, and a less active lifestyle because of health problems all contribute, but even if I only lose 1 lb a month - I still will eventually get to my goal weight.

Unlike the younger me (who lost a lot in the beginning and less as the diet progressed), I suspect that my weight loss will gather momentum and speed as my metabolism repairs and I become healthier and more able to be more active, but even if it doesn't I will eventually get to my goal weight, as long as I don't give up.

I firmly believe that most people do not abandon a weight loss attempt because they are failing, but because they aren't satisfied with the success they are acheiving and are interpreting that success as failure. Most people (regardless of their starting weight) do not lose a single pound, because they give up.

You know that if you give up, you're going to regain not only that pound, but the 10 you've already lost (and likely as not, a few extra pounds - just because that's the way, it always seems to work). If you lose 1 lb a week, you'll reach goal in two years. Two years seems like an eternity, but if you give up, where will you be in two years?

It's taken me a couple years to lose the 80 lbs I've lost, and despite it being slow (for a lot of reasons) I'm only here because I didn't give up. I averaged a loss less than 1 lb per week, and I've got 80 lbs gone to show for it. If I saw those small losses as failures, who knows what I'd weigh now (since I always seem to gain 10 to 20 lbs after abandoning a diet, I know I would be over 400 lbs).

Even if I don't lose another pound, I can't afford to give up. If I have to struggle just to maintain the loss I've already acheived, I'm willing to do that, because I don't want to gain 100 lbs. I'm only about one size smaller than when I started. I don't see any difference in the mirror, but I can shower without a shower chair (except when I'm having a bad flare of the fibro or like last week had a flu and didn't trust my balance), I no longer have sleep apnea (and I don't want to go back to being hooked up to the CPAP breathing machine at night), I can lift my arms over my head without excrutiating pain, can shop in very large stores without having to use a motorized cart, and probably a dozen more improvements in my health and mobility that I can't even think of right now.

Every pound lost counts, no matter how long it takes you to achieve that pound - as does every pound gained. I once read that every pound lost takes 4 lbs of pressure off of you knees when you're walking. When you look at it that way, you've already taken 44 lbs of pressure off of your knees. That's a big health acheivement.

Hang in there.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 264/244/130

It's just so dang stressful to figure out all the foods. I haven't given up yet, but I'm just so sad today. I'm sure it's not just the weight loss, my life is a mess on top of it. Sometimes I just can't figure out a way to coop, and the bad foods make me feel better. I have no real friends to go to. I have yet to find a message board/forum that deals with just everyday life where you can vent and whine and complain. I'm just so over whelmed today. I want so bad to have a hot dog, or gyro... ugggg.
moveforward73 is offline   Reply With Quote