Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-21-2010, 12:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 299/240/170

Default What was your recovery time with RNY?

Hello to all!

I have just started all my paperwork to have the RNY done. I cannot have the surgery until April so I have some time. I am concerned with the recovery time (laproscopic proc.). I have 2 little ones (ages 2 and 4) and I am the sole provider for my family right now. I need to be able to go back to work ASAP. Just wondering how everyone recoved and how much time ya'll lost from work. Thanks
ROMANS828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #2  
Call me Finki =)

S/C/G: 400/300/155

Height: 5'6"

All I can add is this.....my gallbladder removal TOPS my list for surgery pain and recovery time. I had LAP RNY weighing 400# and thought it would the worst. I actually can say it was for me, one of the best surgeries I have had. Don't be afraid of the pain meds in the hospital. Pain is ALL about CONTROL. Take your pain med, or ASK for it every 4 hours. You will not get addicted and you will be able to function so much better. You can back off and take what you need when you feel the need later. Remember though, if you TOUGH it out, is when you will get into trouble. Like I said it's all about control. Take your pain meds every 4 hr. even if you feel OK, when you let your self get in pain, it just takes ALL that much longer to get out of pain. Sorry for the long rant. When I had my RNY I was rooming with a lady who had a LAP Band and was in sooooooo much pain(because she refused the pain meds) that she was not even able to get up and function. I with my little medical training, finally convinced her to take something and "get on top" of the pain. She was much better and could at least function after doing so.

So sorry, I just remembered your question was on the recovery time. I did not have children at the time, but for me like I said it was probably the easiest of my 5 surgeries. I had another source of income and LOTS of family to help where needed also, if memory serves me though(6 yr. post op) it was my first and easiest surgery. Hope this helps.
Gelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #3  

THANKS GELENE...
I have had 2 c-sections so i am not concerned about pain, just basically work clearance. Just wanting everyone's info...
Old 01-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

The sections were worse than the RNY! I had LAP RNY and could have gone back to my desk job at day 6 if I had needed to. I had a bad allergic reaction to steri strip adhesive but other than that recovery was easy.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

Romans - recovery time varies. i was quite sick going in, so my surgeon put me on 6 weeks of disability, and i needed that time.

some folks who had desk jobs were back at work after 7-10 days. From a post of yours, you said that you were on your feet for 12-hour shifts - umm. talk to your doc about that.

a warning, though: we're ALL told that we can't lift anything more than about 15 pounds [weight limit varies by surgeon!] for about a week or so. That includes TODDLERS!!!! so, my best suggestion would be to have someone with you to help with the children.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I was off work for 2 weeks, and needed the whole time. mostly because i was so dizzy for the first month or so. I also was not allowed to lift anything over 20 pounds for a month.
i did not start to feel normal for about a month.
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 341/209.1/160

Height: 5'8"

I had lap RNY and spent one night in the hospital and was going to be released the next day but developed a complication..had to have a second surgery which was open and then I spent 8 more days in the hospital. I got released, spent 5 days at home and then went back to work. I was in some pain at work but nothing serious..just noticed I got really really tired very easily. So just keep that in mind. You could probably go back to work after a week from being released from the hospital if you have a desk job (that's what I have)...if you have to be on your feet all day..I'd give yourself another week.
kerbear879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #8  
fabulous by 40

S/C/G: 240

Height: 5'04

I went back 12 days after surgery, but probably could have gone back on day 9.
sindurella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5.5"

My Dr. only allowed 2 weeks off from work but since I didn't have that much time to take off I went to back to work on day 10.
I do work a desk job but I will admit I was quite tired when I went back to work.
My coworkers were shocked that I was already back at the office.
mgf~
MyGirlFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:29 AM   #10  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Height: 5'2"

What's the worst part of the recovery, walking/moving around, or fatigue/pain? I have the option of working from my home through the computer if I have the surgery, so if sitting upright isn't too bad, I might be able to avoid taking too much leave. Was anyone able to do something like that?
Just kinda wondering out loud here, don't mind me... lol.
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:27 AM   #11  

I appreciate all the info. With both of my c-sections I was back at work in 6 weeks so I hope I can be back to work in 10 days or so after the lap rny. I just want to budget accordingly. My ins has a pretty high copay so money is on the mind right now. I will only have about 1 wk paid vacation. I wish I didn't have to wait till april to get ins approval. It seems like a long time away.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #12  
ONEderland here I come!

can you work comp time to earn time to take more time off?
Old 01-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #13  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30and300 View Post
What's the worst part of the recovery, walking/moving around, or fatigue/pain? I have the option of working from my home through the computer if I have the surgery, so if sitting upright isn't too bad, I might be able to avoid taking too much leave. Was anyone able to do something like that?
Just kinda wondering out loud here, don't mind me... lol.
you should be able to work from home. esp if you can brek it up and do a few hours and rest then do a few more...
Old 01-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 341/209.1/160

Height: 5'8"

The fatigue was the worst part for me. I felt so very tired for awhile!
kerbear879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #15  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Height: 5'2"

A friend of my father had RNY last year, so I asked him about his recovery. He said his starting weight was about 400, there were no complications during surgery which lasted about 2 hours on a Monday. He stayed home from work til the following Monday, and then he was at part-time for 2-3 weeks after that because he was pretty tired. But he said he felt good otherwise and was ok to go back to work by the end of the weekend.

Sorry it's not my personal story, but thought i'd throw it in there. =) Good luck with your surgery!
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote