South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 05:39 AM   #1  

Default Question about a warehouse store...

We often go to Sam's to purchase things in bulk about once a month or so....we are planning to go again this weekend and I was wondering if anyone buys SB friendly items there? Can anyone give me some ideas....we will buy snacks for our kids and other household items but I'm wondering what kinds of things you guys might buy that are doing SB? Thanks for any help or ideas!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

My standards at Sam's are laundry detergent, bacon (real kind, oops), cashews (excellent price there!!), trail mix, Craisins (they are sweetened, but it didn't bother me...I used them in plain yogurt), lean ground beef, and then stuff for the rest of the family (granola bars, etc.).
Old 01-21-2010, 06:25 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

You can get bulk nuts and string cheese for snacks. Lots of good meats and frozen veggies too. Tomato juice, perhaps non fat yogurt. Hummos, canned beans, Laughing cow cheese wedges. Lots of good things to stock up on there.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: maintaining

My husband does all our Costco shopping because he loves that place! He keeps a list on his phone now and goes at least once a week.

I will stick to the food items he buys there that are SB friendly:
Salmon
Frozen chicken breasts
Meats
colored peppers
sugar snap peas
all kinds of fresh fruit
frozen blueberries (I don't like them but he puts them in his oatmeal)
ground flaxseed
nuts (all kinds)
hummus
cheeses
milk (skim and soy)
eggs and egg substitute
yogurt
I also like the rotisserie chicken (I take the skin off) but someone just told me that they inject stuff in it to keep it moist. I need to ask about that.

Don't eat the food samples! That's my downfall.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I've never been to Sam's but Costco is adding healthier products all the time. In addition to items discussed above I've bought organic quinoa, whole wheat pastas, soymilk, almonds, organic olive oil, fresh edamame, turkey sausage and bacon. I usually look through the food aisles every time I go to see what's new. I try to buy my produce and meats locally whenever possible.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love the fresh produce, especially the organic spring mix, the baby spinach, the mini bell peppers (orange, yellow, and red), english cucumbers, snap peas, and haricots verts (very thin green beans), berries. I also like the frozen edamame (I've never seen fresh. I'll have to look). We used to buy cheeses when we were in Illinois, but now we have three cheesemakers within a 40 mile radius, and they make many lower-fat cheeses (better quality, flavor, and price).

There are a lot of healthy bargains, but just because they're selling in huge quantities, doesn't mean you're saving money on everything.

To save money, you really have to be familiar with the cost of similar items from other local sources (farmers, grocery stores, health food stores, dairies...).
Old 01-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #7  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Good question. I just got a 20% off coupon for Big Lots...I'm afraid I'll probably find all kinds of strange things...

I'm hoping for Christmas Clearance.
Closed Thread