Old 01-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Unhappy I'm exhausted all the time....

I started water aerobics at the end of December. I am exhausted all the time. I know I'm out of shape but geez o pete, it's only a 45 minute class 3x a week!!!!

I have upped my calories (after calculating on a web site I can't remember, but someone here recommended it) based on my current weight and activity level--It says I should be eating 1800 calories to continue to lose wt (1# per week). My weight loss is at a steady 1# per week. I'm not hungry and I'm losing weight, so that's all good.

Is this normal? Do I just have to suck it up and it will get better? 'Cause I can do that but it sure would feel good to hear that it will get better.

I have never been a active person, I haven't ever gotten 'high' from physical activity. I'm okay with that, but the exhaustion is really dragging me down. I'm having a good time with the class itself, I really enjoy being in the water. But, afterwards, I'm just beat. And, the next day I'm still tired. I'm tired all the time. I'm crabby because some days I ache, but I know that's normal because I haven't used those muscles in a long time.

Any and all advice, encouragement, etc would really be appreciated! Thanks friends
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #2  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

It is normal to a point. When I used to swim for exercise it tired me out a lot more than other exercise -- something about your body having to work harder to keep you warm in the water, maybe? -- but eventually I got strong enough that it didn't completely zap my energy every time.

I'd say give it a little while yet, and if it doesn't get any better talk to your doctor.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #3  
Finally Taking Care of ME

S/C/G: 283/ticker/183

Height: 5'9"

First off congrats on losing over 50 pounds, that's amazing!

Secondly with your calories and excercise I think you should feel great, maybe time to make a doctor's appointment and see if anything is going on?

I hope it gets better.

Angie
LesliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Is this something that has only started with the exercise? Give it a few weeks, see how you do. Make sure you are taking a multivitamin and that you are getting enough Iron and B vitamins as well. Also make sure you aren't dehydrating yourself. Get at least 7 hours of sleep a night and give it time. If it still feels this way after about 3 weeks, I would see a doctor and make sure there isn't something else going on.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #5  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

What kinds of snacks are you eating?

Snacks that have a decent amount of carbs and protein should help. The carbs will give you the energy boost (just dont' over do it!) and the protein will keep you from crashing. Some examples are yogurt (Breyers Light is only 80cals), light string cheese paired with celery w/peanut butter.

Overall I have days where I'm dragging my butt around and other days where I'm chipper and full of energy. I try to work out until those lovely endorphins kick in, but sometimes they just don't and it ends up being a rough day.
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Definitly a good idea. Carbs for energy before work out and protein after to help rebuild those muscles.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #7  

You should definitely see your doctor. Your lethargy could be due to an iron deficiency. A couple of years ago, I was literally dragging my butt around all day long no matter how much sleep/exercise/good food I got. I went to the doctor, had some blood tests done and my iron level was down to 9 - my dr said that 24 or 25 is considered low, so I was really low. I started taking iron supplements every day and it's made a huge difference.
2annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

If it's that bad I agree to see a doctor- you may have something you don't know about causing you fatigue. I went with almost a whole YEAR of constant fatigue before I finally figured out that I had sleep apnea!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I'm going to agree with what everyone else has said - primarily make sure you are properly hydrated (I'm also in CO, so I know how dry it is here!) and also checking in with your doctor. There are some medical things it could be and best to get those ruled out.

But great that you are keeping up with these classes and losing weight, despite feeling so tired. Now you just need to figure what's going on so you can feel great too!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #10  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I recently seem to have fixed my fatigue problem. I was eating Slim Fast, protein bars and Lean Cuisines. I was a bit on the constipated side. Since cutting out those foods and eating only "real" foods, my energy has sky rocketed and I'm no longer constipated. I bring this up just in case any of that sounds familiar. I thought my fatigue was from low calories, but it wasn't.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #11  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

Good for you! That's great news!
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I agree that a check up is in order. You should have MORE energy from exercising and losing all the weight. There are a number of things that can cause fatigue that you should look into. And I agree that you need to really check your hydration.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

This happened to me during my weight loss when I wasn't getting enough protein in my diet. Try aiming for 100 grams a day and see if you feel better.

And it's always good to get checked for anemia, etc., with your doctor. I thought that might be the problem, but it wasn't.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:30 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

In my case, the severe fatigue is Seasonal Affective Disorder. Has it just started during the winter months? Getting less sunshine/daylight? For me, every year around Dec/Jan I feel like hibernating and lose my energy. Not sure if this might be an issue for you but thought I'd mention it. I am dealing with it by taking multivitamins, extra D3, and sitting in front of a light therapy box 20 minutes each morning. It does help.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

The fatigue started right after I started the classes. Before the classes I felt 'normal'. I've never been a high energy person but I wasn't tired like I am now. I am thinking I will give it until the end of the month and if I'm not feeling better I will go to my doctor.

Thanks for the suggestions on snacking and how to eat before/after the workout. I will see if that helps out any. I think I'm doing okay in the protein area but I will double check that over the next week or so. Water has always been my go to drink of choice so I'm pretty sure I'm well hydrated. With the exception of my morning coffee water is all I drink. I try to get in 16 oz before the workout and I will drink another 16 oz after the workout. Of course I'm drinking water throughout the day too but I will double check on how much to make sure that isn't the issue either.

Thanks for all the help and advice!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote