Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #1  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

Question Metabolism Question

How do you know if your metabolism kicks up a gear?

I have been doing well on plan, I eat six meals a day totaling 1500 cals which I started day before yesterday. My first two weeks I was eating six meals a day totaling 1200 calories. I wasn't hungry the first two weeks but yesterday and today I get hungry right at two hours and I have increased my caloric intake.

Does anyone know what that means? I don't want to start eating out of control.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/160/145

Height: 5'6

I had a very similar problem, and my physician friends told me that it was in fact my metabolism speeding up! Have you bumped up your activity level too?
slai78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh, how cool!! Yes, I'd say that's your metabolism speeding up! It's just a guess, but I find that when I'm hungry and power through I lose weight, whereas when I'm not hungry the scale doesn't move. That's assuming I'm on plan, of course.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #4  

IF you are eating healthy foods for your calories, I would totally view that hunger as a good sign. Just be sure to deal with it properly!
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #5  
No more +sizes

Talking

I got mad love for you all. Time for a happy dance!!!

I have been eating healthy and working out regularly. I am planning to bump up my work out, I'm starting 30 day shred tonight after work. I promise to stay on plan and not overeat.

It is amazing, now I am paying such close attention to what I eat and my workout I hear my body talking to me. HOW COOL IS THAT??!!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Way cool, that's how cool!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Any time you're talking about changes over that short of a time range - you have to include TOM as a possibility. A great many of us have times in the month when we are much hungrier, regardless of what we eat.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #8  
No more +sizes

So what does TOM mean? Are you referring to my cycle?

Last edited by jigglefree; 01-20-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #9  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

TOM = "Time of Month" Good ol' Aunt Flo. I tell ya, there are some times when she is coming that I could just eat non stop. It's like the hunger never goes away - then my period comes and I am back to normal.

I don't quite understand the whole metabolism thing. The more I read, the more confusing it gets. As far as I can tell it is important to do interval-type exercises to keep it going. Especially while we are decreasing the amount of calories we are eating.

Some days I am more hungrier than others and I can't figure out why... I think on those days, it is important to eat more veggies! Veggies are a good way to fill up on minimal calories and maxium nutrition.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #10  
No more +sizes

Well I just came back from lunch with coworkers at the campus cafeteria...on fried chicken day. I ate a small piece of baked chicken breast, about a cup of collard greens with hot sauce, romaine leaf salad with cherry tomatoes and 1/4 of baked sweet potato. I drank water only.

There was a time I would eat three pieces of fried chicken, collard greens, two pieces of cornbread, black eyed peas and a big bowl of peach cobbler. I drank lemonade. One sitting at lunch.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #11  
Getting there lbs by lbs

S/C/G: 346/260/184

Height: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglefree View Post
I got mad love for you all. Time for a happy dance!!!

I have been eating healthy and working out regularly. I am planning to bump up my work out, I'm starting 30 day shred tonight after work. I promise to stay on plan and not overeat.

It is amazing, now I am paying such close attention to what I eat and my workout I hear my body talking to me. HOW COOL IS THAT??!!
I've noticed that too. Especially if I work out in the morning oppose to in the evening. I'm EXTREMELY hungry, however I usually snack on celery it works some times however not all.

The diet that I'm on doesn't allow for me to eat in between meals aside from the two snacks.

I try to drink plenty of water to alleviate the hungry pangs, it usually last for a few minutes and then go away.

I think it's a good indication that your metabolism is increasing!
tryinghardtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:09 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/184/130ish - 33 y.o.

Height: 5'2"

i think the best thing is that you are listening to your body and hearing what its sayin'. have a plan for what you will snack on, keep a healthy snack or two with you so that you're ready. yea, sometimes a glass of water will do the trick, but there are indeed times when your body is screamin for energy. the way to go is to have an action plan.

and btw, way to go on making good group eating food choices, those are always the hardest situation for me!
jlady is offline   Reply With Quote