Old 01-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default I must break this habit...

It seems like it's forever that the night of my weekly weigh in I overeat. I did it way back in the 80's when I started WW.

I know it's a matter of committment and using tools.

I can't go to weighing daily - doesn;t work for me

Any ideas to help me break this habit.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 01-20-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You've just got to suck it up and push through it. Maybe reward yourself. If you stay on plan you buy yourself a new scarf, a lipstick, a something. Change your routine. Get out of the house. Keep busy. Map out every minute of the day with food AND activities. Make a vow, a pledge an iron clad commitment to get through it - no matter what. Use lots of self talk. Psych yourself into it. Tell yourself over and over again that you WILL stay on plan. You WILL stay on plan. You WILL stay on plan. WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO. Get through it this one time - and than you will know that you CAN do it. Because of COURSE you CAN do it. It's a doable thing. You have the ability to do this. You're a grown up. You can make reasonable, rational decisions. Master a new skill. Conquer something new. Grow. Push yourself. Challenge yourself. DO IT!!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

Robin, it's such a delight to start reading a thread and see your comments under it. You are SUCH an inspiration!

I just wanted to add one thing, Beverlyjoy. You've conquered so much of the battle by recognizing the habit and looking for strategies to overcome it. I think most of my struggle comes from refusing to acknowledge my issues so that I don't have to do anything about them. Good for you! As for the rest, yeah - what Robin said!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

How about planning a great meal for the night of your weigh-in? Something you really like that you don't usually go to the trouble of making but it still well within your plan. I love, love, love baked sweet potatoes and carmelized cabbage but they both take an hour to make and I just don't have that much time everyday. The night before weight-in would be a great night for me to take the time to make those things. Added bonus - cabbage will fill you up but you can eat a ton of it for a little tiny bit of calories!
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Perhaps change your weigh in day? Is that factor? For instance, maybe Saturday or Sunday are not the best days because you're indulging because it's Friday or Saturday night? In such a case, maybe Friday morning would be better to weigh in on?

Maybe exchange one habit for another. Maybe your new routine is that you drink a cup of tea or coffee the night before your weigh in. I find that filling so it curbs my appetite. Or maybe your new routine is to take a walk before weigh in day?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #6  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

Everyone has some great advice. The only other thing I can think to add is to have a meal pre-made, pre-portioned of something you like set aside in the fridge so you can just microwave it and enjoy right after weigh in. Then you can't use the excuse of lack of time to cook to eat what is available but not on plan or in a reasonable quantity. If the eating was a reward for losing then maybe change the reward to something like a lipstick as Robin suggested or if that is too pricy use a token system so 4 weigh INS without overeating afterwards=a new lipstick.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #7  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

omg, I've done this, more than once! isn't that crazy? I think for me it was/is a matter of pushing through it. sometimes I talk to bf and say outloud, I want tomorrow's weigh in to be good, so I don't want to go off plan tonight. that sets it firmly in my mind. I'll do a little exercise in the evening, that helps too (it's the opposite of oversnacking, you know? and puts me in a positive frame of mind)

I agree, finding a way to busy yourself in the key period of time when you feel vulnerable would be a good idea too. something that will occupy your mind and still relax you.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #8  

Thanks to everyone. These are some very good ideas. Next week....I WILLL get through it!!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #9  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I will make a prediction - once you avoid it the first time it will be 100% easier to avoid it the second. It's all mental. You just need to change your focus. When the thought of eating after weigh-in comes in, catch it, confront it, interrupt it and redirect to something else. "I know I used to do that, but I'm not anymore. I am done even thinking about it. Now, I wonder what my friend XYZ is doing. I'll give her a call."
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I agree with making sure the weigh-in day isn't affecting you and keeping yourself uberbusy the day of the weigh in! If I sit around, I will eat mindlessly. Go for an extra walk or even just see if there is a friend you can call on that day as much as needed, everytime you feel like eating. You can get through this!!
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #11  

I always do my weigh-in first thing in the morning. It's usually Tuesday or Wednesday. I am going to use many of your suggestions. This is an important habit to break if I ever really want to have a sane relationship with food.

Thanks again, to all.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 257/130/130

I have this problem too! It seems like the evenings of the actual day of my weigh ins (Friday) I always "treat" myself to something...almost always a dessert of some sort. Especially if I did particularly "well" with my progress. I realize this isn't necessarily a big deal in and of itself, and I always told myself I will let myself have something if I am truly craving it....but the thing is I want to get away from associating food as a reward. Funny thing is, I never used to crave sweets this way.

I think Eliana had a great idea, changing weigh in days. I think we (I know I do) tend to equate weekends to letting our hair down so to speak and relaxing.

I also think that the idea that once you/we combat this one week it will boost our chances of success in the same way the next week and the next etc.

Last edited by summer91; 01-20-2010 at 09:34 PM.
summer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #13  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

All great ideas.

I got my haircut yesterday at the local beauty college and was looking at the list of services they offer. I can get a facial for $7! For under $20 I can get a facial and a pedicure! How about treating yourself to some calorie free pampering on those nights?
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #14  

Height: 5'10"

Ah, the Twilight Zone! I know it well! haha I think what we have to do is not think of that as the end of our diet week, but as the beginning of a new one. Once you weigh, instead of being like "ah, I'm done. Let's eat before tomorrow," it's gotta be, "Alright good week, time to start a new one." Whether you weigh at 6 am or 7pm, that's the start of your new week. At least that what I'm going to do!
jewelrymaker81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #15  

Well it's a week later - I weighed today and I will NOT overeat or binge! I've planned a good healthy yummy food day. I will get myself a new lipstick tomorrow as my reward!! I KNOW I can make it.

Like you said - once I do this - it should become a bit easier. I'll let you know tomorrow.