Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 223.8/193/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Considering WLS-BMI about 38

Hi,

I am considering WLS, have an app't 2-1 with a surgeon. Currently I weight about 217, am 5'3" and would like to get down to 130-135#. I have been on every diet out there with no results. I have battled weight my whole life (I'm 52).

I recently had a "scare" with irregular heart rate (atrial fib) and am having a sleep apnea test tonight. I also have hypothyroid, plantar fascitis(sp?) and a lot of joint pain.

I am considering WLS to finally be able to get my weight under control. I realize I will have to make a lot of changes, hoping that the surgery will get me started.

My doctor does not do DS, at first I thought lapband, but really don't like the idea of "fills" so I am leaning towards GS but probably RNY (of course it depends upon my surgeon's suggestion).

Any words of advice would be appreciated. I am just upset that I have not been able to stick to anything, so am kinda scared to have surgery and not succeed with that.

Thanks!

Lynn

Last edited by basketsbears; 01-19-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: add comment
basketsbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #2  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I'm early out but I love my RNY and so does my hubby (he had it 22 weeks ago wow)...

does your insurance cover it?
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #3  

The insurance will cover if I have co-mobidities, which I think I do, but will know after my dr's appt and they submit to insurance. I have Fed employee BCBS.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

oh yes it will. I have FEP. I was over a 40 BMI so I was easily covered. but with 2 comorbidities you are covered. such as: sleep apnea, HBP, high cholesterol.. diabetes....
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #5  

Well - like I said I am being treated for atrial fib, am having sleep apnea test tonight, so will see if I have that as well. I am not diabetic, nor do I have HTN, although on my discharge papers cardiologist wrote HTN on paperwork - so not sure about that. I also have joint pain and the plantar fascities is horrible at times. I also have migraines, etc, but not sure if they play into that.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

my docs said that my afib was NOT related to my weight. HOWEVER, it CAN be related to sleep apnea - so go get your sleep test. [it's a PIA, but well worth it].

and if it turns out that you do have apnea, be sure to use your CPAP - it makes a HUGE difference in so many ways. we'll talk more about it after you see your doc.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #7  

I am just trying not to get my hopes up about surgery. I think it would be great and help me to use it as a tool to get the weight off and keep it off.

I am just worried that I will be denied.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

So, baskets - how did the sleep study go??

i ran your stats through a BMI calculator, using the 217 in your first post, and your BMI is 38.4 - just squeaked over the 38 + comorbid conditions cutoff. so, you qualify. but there's no telling what your insurance company will say or make you do.

it you, your doc, and your surgeon decide this is the best choice for you, don't let anything get in your way!

Last edited by jiffypop; 01-20-2010 at 09:43 AM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #9  

Sleep study did fine - not sure if I have sleep apnea or not. I will know results in about one week.

Thanks!

Lynn
Old 01-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #10  

If you have a lot of joint pain related to arthritis, also consider the VSG.
*stefani* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #11  

Hi,

I do have a lot of joint pain at times. I have not been diagnosed with arthritis. So, you are suggesting the gastric sleeve? (Sorry I'm new not sure of all the abbreviations yet!). I have been thinking more about that as opposed to the RNY just because of the malabsorption issues.

Thanks!

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #12  

Height: 5'2"

I'm having the sleeve in just under a month. I did a lot of research and it seems to me that although it's new(ish), it seems to have far fewer complications than the other WLS procedures. You might want to take a look at the boards at obesity help dot com -- they have a ton of info about the various surgeries, and I have yet to hear from anybody who has had a truly bad experience with the sleeve.
mlk58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 265/263/140

Height: 5'2

Have you considered the Lap Sleeve, also called the gastric sleeve? It is similar to the lap-band but there are no fills and less chance of stomach stretchy.
gipsprettyface is offline   Reply With Quote