Old 01-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default The Power of Habit

I swim 4-5 nights a week at the same time.

Tonight, at my usual time, I did not feel like going I was tired from running and lifting last night and I was a little cold.

But, I ended up going because it's such a habit. For the first ten minutes I was kind of tired, but then I forgot about it and ended up with a nice workout.

I used to struggle to fit in exercise, because each time, it was a decision-- do I want to go or not, am I tired, do I have time.

Now, I tend to go on auto-pilot, even though I don't really feel like it, and I noticed that I'm that way about food most of the time now.

it's so much EASIER.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #2  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Ubergirl for working out when you don't feel like it. I use to run a very long time ago when I wasn't obese and I use to go after work and felt better after I ran. Lot's of people say they are to tired to workout after work. But if I would have kept up with the running I probably wouldn't have the weight problem I do today.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #3  
I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 265/250/120

Height: 5'3"

Good for you! I know how hard that is!
Ophelia31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

I find making these changes into habits really difficult. Thanks for reminding me that it can be done!
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:37 AM   #5  
299lbs.wordpress.com

S/C/G: 299/285/145

Height: 5'9''

Agreed - it's hard, but it's nice to know it can be done!
299lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #6  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Well done on going when you didn't feel like it!
I'm just the same as you now, quite often I don't feel like going to the gym, but I just go, like the Nike advert lol, I just do it, and by the time I'm halfway through my workout I almost always feel better.
The same with the food, just got back from a meeting at the local school and there was coffee and biscuits (chocolate). I looked at them and thought, yuck, too early! Rotfpml, I used to eat chocolate at ANY time of the day or night, but today there was not even a hint of a craving.
Habits really are the best thing to get us through this, work on forming them and then just let them have a life of their own.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I agree about the habits. I've definitely found that I build up momentum and it's much easier to keep going. Great job!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

When I was in school, Sister Veronica said "The only way to get rid of a bad habit is to replace it with a good habit." Well that sounds like a plan, but it isn't easy to do . We still need to have the desire to overcome the barriers and inertia and the old tapes that play in our heads. You did it. Congratulations on another battle won !
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 AM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

That's wonderful! I remember that feeling. When I went to the gym routinely I started out by forcing myself just to go. There was one morning I recall I was so sick I called off work, but I still went to the gym. I didn't actually work out. I literally went to the gym, walked into the locker room, turned around and went back home. But it was important to me to go without any excuses.

Good for you!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I rely heavily on habits. It's a wonderful thing! This healthy lifestyle is ingrained in me, it's automatic. In the olden days it was my UNhealthy lifestyle that was habit. It takes some time, but without a doubt, once established, new (and good) habits are just as hard to break as old (and bad) ones.

Congrats, because this is good news!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Habits can be good...yay! I am so happy you just did it because you usually do it.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #12  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

That is such great news!!! Congrats on sticking to your plan and making it a part of your everday life!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #13  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Way to go! Sounds like this healthy lifestyle is definitely becoming ingrained in you.
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #14  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I was thinking about this thread last night in regard to my blog. I really haven't been posting much because I do the same thing every day and week to week. That's not exciting to read (or write!) on a daily basis. Yup, Anne had her egg white english muffin again for breakfast and rode her bike for an hour and did her strength training again and again and again. Boooring. The stuff that's not boring are the NSVs and progress!

Once I got those habits in my routine, they are really stuck! I am a planner and once something is in my schedule it's as good as done. Getting it there was the challenge, but now I just run on auto-pilot.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBreeze2010 View Post
I was thinking about this thread last night in regard to my blog. I really haven't been posting much because I do the same thing every day and week to week. That's not exciting to read (or write!) on a daily basis. Yup, Anne had her egg white english muffin again for breakfast and rode her bike for an hour and did her strength training again and again and again. Boooring. The stuff that's not boring are the NSVs and progress!

Once I got those habits in my routine, they are really stuck! I am a planner and once something is in my schedule it's as good as done. Getting it there was the challenge, but now I just run on auto-pilot.
That's awesome! And will really help you in the long run. I tend to be kind of naturally scattered... I never know what day it is, barely keep a calendar... I'm kind of the opposite of what you're describing. But I've noticed how much it HELPS me if I stick with something long enough that it becomes a habit.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote