Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 01-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #1  

Default Vitamin D

I posted this in the general diet thread but no one responded. My doctor put me on Vitamin D at the start of last year and I have gotten my levels up to 50 (from 23). Almost everyone I know, and a few posts here indicated that others went on it as well.

I am wondering if anyone noticed that it works for weight loss or otherwise?

There has been ONE clinical study that says it does...http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-swl061009.php.

I myself haven't noticed any direct link because I wasn't dieting. However, I do have to factual things that have changed since going on it.

(1) from August 2008 to January 2009 when I ate more -- but did not pig out. I gained about 15 lbs. From January 2009 to December 2009 eating the same, I gained 5 lbs. From June 2009 to January 2010 I gained 2 of the 5 and there were a few slips there with the passing of my father. These weights are based on the doctor's office records. Conclusion: weight gain is slowing - but why is the question.

(2) my body temperature has come up and my cold sensitivity is gone. 2008 every body temperature at the doctor was 98 or below(at least 5 visits); 2009 (and my recent 2010 physical) 98.4 to 98.8. All numbers are from my doctor's office. Even my doctor noticed it. Nothing has changed with regard to my thyroid.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this, or anything, if you are taking Vitamin D? Tx.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #2  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

The only side effect I noted while on Vit D supplementation is it acted a little too aggresively on my kidneys. When I would exercise, particularly swimming laps, I would not be able to go as long because would have to stop to pee. I cut back my daily amount and problem was gone.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #3  

Ha! I also noticed the kidney issue but didn't think of it being Vitamin D. I never had a problem until I increased my water intake.

However I lost 5.5. in 4 weeks this time. In 2006 /7 when I got down to 164, my records show that I lost 8 lbs in 8 weeks. In 2006 I also started 20 lbs heavier than I did this time. So presumably I should have lost more.

So I am clearly doing better. Also via my doctor testing me in error I know that my level has gone up from 23 (early 2009 ) to 60 (now). Vitamin d? Don't know. I am also taking some calcium but not the RDA.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote