South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Hey everyone

Hey everyone, I just came across this forum while looking for recipes. It already seems wonderful! I'm new to SBD. I did WW for a while and then I learned more about SBD and decided I wanted to try and eat cleaner.

Today is day 4 for me, and so far so good. The only time I cheated was yesterday when I put 1/4 tsp of ketchup on my plate and I dipped my fork in it before eating bites of egg... I miss ketchup with eggs and I can't seem to find a SBD friendly ketchup anywhere.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to following all of your journeys!
Princesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Hello and welcome! I am glad you are joining us.

I am not on the SBD plan, but there are many here who are doing it very successfully.

I wish you the best with your weight loss journey!

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

Glad to have you here. I will admit to using regular ketchup too - and it never messes me up. But don't tell anyone.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:04 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Default Please try low-sugar or sugar-free ketchups!

Princesque! Congrats on eating cleaner!

Oh wow, chicas! Ketchup (Catsup) is a really bad idea. Honestly. The regular stuff is not only almost the same as eating pure sugar, but it's usually made with high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS). The jury's still out (kind of) on HFCS, but many studies show that our bodies don't process it well. At best, it's as bad as sugar, but cheaper, so very prevalent in our foods. At worst, it's the major reason for so much weight gain in our country and is a real issue for those of us who are sugar-sensitive.

So, if you love ketchup, please, pleeeease check into low-sugar and sugar-free alternatives. Here are some to look for:

If you want to give making your own ketchup a try, check out the recipes I posted in the recipe forum, under Phase 1 Misc.: Ketchup (Catsup) Recipes

Last edited by beachgal; 01-16-2010 at 11:06 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:06 AM   #5  

^ Thanks for the heads up... I knew it was "cheating" which is why I literally only used 1/4 tsp just to dip the ends of my fork in it. But I'll be honest, after I ate it, it left this lingering coating in my mouth- maybe that was the SBD gods way of telling me not to do it again, and you just reaffirmed it... I'll stay away from the ketchup after reading your post, so thanks again!
Old 01-17-2010, 05:48 AM   #6  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

How about some salsa on the eggs?

You can put some spinach or other veggies in the bottom of a bowl, eggs on top of that and then put some salsa on top (just watch your brand doesn't have sugar!) and voila...yum. A little mozzarella on top and fresh herbs are good too.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks Cat, now you have my mouth watering!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

, Princesque! I'm glad you decided to join us here on The Beach!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #9  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I also prefer salsa on eggs, lots with refried beans and sauteed veggies We buy Westbrae ketchup, http://www.westbrae.com/products/condiments/uu.php, no sweetener at all. I can't tell the difference on veggie burgers.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #10  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

You know what else is great on eggs? bruschetta.
I got some the other day that is mostly peppers...red and yellow..talk about yum! Adding stuff like that to eggs, fish, chicken etc makes it a lot "fancier"...
like you are eating at a fine dining place....makes life a little more "rich".
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #11  

Thanks everyone for the tips, I'll have to try salsa because I really like onions and peppers as it is.

I'm on day 5 today and I think it's really catching on.
Generally for breakfast, I'll eat a couple of eggs and I'll eat a whole cucumber like it's an apple, just peal and eat. Today I decided to try and "spice" it up a bit and I was going to dip it in fat free italian dressing, which I've had around forever. Thanks to good old SBD, I checked the ingredients first and the very first ingredient is high fructose corn syrup... I was like GRRRRR. So I just ate it plain.

For anyone who may be reading this- I have one other question:

I read you should limit diet soda, etc to 2 cans a day. I don't really like diet soda anymore, but I love sugar free redbull (it's not better than soda, I know.) Is it fine to have one or two of these, since they're sugar free and essentially soda in a different form?