Old 01-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #1  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

Default Craving... HELP!

Ugh, I woke up this morning c-r-a-v-i-n-g a cheeseburger from Wendys. The burger, the cheese, the lettuce, the mayo mixed with ketchup.... AGH! Please make it go away. I'm sitting here and can almost taste it. This is the first time I've had a craving for greasy fast food. It was bound to happen but why nnnooowww?
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Just an idea...For dinner, why not get some lean ground beef patties, and broil one , and put it on a whole grain roll with some lettuce and tomato,low fat cheese, and a little low fat mayo, and ketchup ? You could even do some oven fries to go with it.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:08 AM   #3  

Height: 5'5.5"

I read this advice on the Yahoo diet page and I thought it was great. Your willpower is like a muscle. The more you exercise willpower the stronger your willpower gets and the easier it gets to resist cravings, go do your workout or whatever is required for healthy living. Right now it is new to many of us so it is harder to resist the craving but if you get through it you are making yourself stronger for the future.

Drive right on by that Wendy's. We know you can do it!
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

I buy Yves veggie burgers ( and I am NOT a vegetarian, lol). I have even convinced my friend to start buying them, lol. 120 cals...3.5 gms of fat.

You can barely tell there is a difference when you add your ketchup, mayo, lettuce etc.

I was soo craving mcd's the other night that i had a veggie burger and sweet potatoe fries. I was full for HOURS!

Good luck!
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #5  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

You could make a home version of it controlling the type and amount of beef, cheese and mayo. You could also pick a more whole grain bun or even go bunless.

If you really really want it I suppose you could have one and count for it in your calorie range unless you think it may perpetuate and extend the cravings.

Edited to add that sometimes I calculate the item I want into my counter program as if I already ate it to see visually how little I could have the rest of the day and that was enough to stop the wanting right in it's tracks. I then delete the item from my food log and my mind. Sometimes I find it isn't as bad as I thought and eat it anyway.

Last edited by lovemyboy; 01-16-2010 at 11:06 AM.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #6  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Homemade burgers are sooo much better anyway. Just plan healthy burgers for tonights dinner. I can't go bunless myself. I use either some healthy buns or portabellas instead of a bun.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

You have some great advice already. I would make a version at home or if I really really wanted it, I would add it into my plan and see what the results are. Like lovemyboy said, it's usually enough to deter me. I've also noticed that when I get all that crap out of my system and then try to eat it again, I get REALLY sick to my stomach. It's just not worth it. You could make a much healthier version at home.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #8  
Jolly rancherette

S/C/G: 286/275/262 = 43.5/41.8/39.5

Height: 5'8''

Chime! with the posts above. How are you doing, SNMom? I hope the craving passed.

And Sash - that happened to me 2 nights ago, I was desperate for a Chinese and worked it into my daily plan, but within half an hour of eating it I felt horrible. Lesson totally learned. My homemade stirfries beat Mr Poon's any day
Bellsybells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I have some great recipes for fried rice and eggrolls. They aren't the best weightloss wise but they sure as heck beat what you are going to get from a fast food place in nutrition!
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 350/ticker/164

Height: 5'8

Well, if it were me, I'd go to Wendy's, order a Jr. Cheeseburger Deluxe (300 cal), bring it home and pair it with a ton of broccoli cooked with chicken broth and garlic or a steamed zucchini or a bunch of green beans and call it a good lunch. With that said, fast food is not a trigger for me. I could do it every day and have no problem with wanting to over eat (I don't do that, but you kwim). My triggers are things like cookies and cheesecake, those are my even having 1 could trigger a binge type things. So, if you think it won't trigger a desire to go off plan, then have it. If it will be a problem, now is the time to exercise willpower
HeidiNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I'd probably go to Wendys, get the Jr. Burger with whatever sounds good on it, cut it in four parts, eat one at a time. Might surprise yourself and only want part of it. I find if I don't eat something that I'm truly craving I'll eat everything else in sight trying to avoid it.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #12  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Wow u woke up with this...dang that hurts! Sorry! Here is some: if that helps. But I am like folks here...I would eat a hamburger of some sort. Lots of great advise here...make yourself one, order a junior one or heck order one and eat 1/2 of it...isn't it grand to have options!!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #13  

Height: 5'5"

My experience is similar to Traci's. If I am desperately craving something, I will just have it. I promise you - one of anything will not make you gain ten pounds. I say that, however, with two caveats. 1 - It has to be an overwhelming craving that doesn't go away. I won't have it until after I work out at least once, look in my closet and see the clothes that I want to wear (and the clothes I used to wear and never want to wear again) and wait at least a day or two. That way, I'm sure that I want it. 2 - I really enjoy the food. I won't eat it when I'm completely starving (which I try not to ever be anyway), and I will savor every bite.

This is a lifelong process. You will eat something you shouldn't. (In fact, lots of successful longterm maintainers have a regular "cheat meal.") Just know that you are the person who takes care of her body and is learning how to manage her weight. You are not the person who eats Wendy's hamburgers mindlessly and endlessly. So, eat the food if you decide that you really want it, pay the price for it (whether in reducing calories for your other meals or doing an extra hour of exercise or even just accepting that today will be one of the occasional "off" days you will have on your lifelong journey) and be grateful for it.

The one way to get thin is to re-establish a purpose in life. ~Cyril Connolly, The Unquiet Grave
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #14  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

Thanks everyone!

I managed to avoid it today, but am debating about having it.. or something similar but healthier.. for lunch tomorrow. The big deterrent is tomorrow is weigh in and I don't want anything to blame on myself. I'll probably end up sending DF out for some veggie burgers. Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm definitely the type to overeat on random stuff because of a craving I can't have. I forced myself away from the kitchen with a book and a nap. If I nap, I KNOW I won't eat everything in sight... with the hope that maybe, just maybe, my yogurt will taste like a greasy cheeseburger.

Okay... no more thinking about it.

Last edited by SNMomof1; 01-16-2010 at 08:02 PM.
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 264/260.5/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm glad you resisted. I agree with sending the hubby out for veggie burgers. I went out for fast food with my husband tonight and now I feel horrible. I got a chicken pita thing that was low cal, but it was still kinda greasy and now I feel sick. Home made food is just better once I get over the fast food addiction.
ToriLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote