Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 10-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307.5/301.5/159

Height: 5'7"

Question Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred?

I'm thinking about getting the 30 Day Shred DVD but want to know if any of you have tried it. What are your likes and dislikes of this workout?
HilaryAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: See signature

Height: 5'5

Likes---it works! You see a significant difference after 7 days alone.

Dislikes- Im a person that likes to see the scale drop and for whatever reason, on 30DS I lose absolutely no weight, I even showed a weight gain the first week, which is depressing but I can assure you, inches do come off.

Challenges- it is virtually impossible to stick with the program 30 days. Im not saying it cant be done but it takes an extreme amount of dedication and after day 2 of doing it, your body hurts in places you never imagined and your simple little tooth brush feels like a 10 pounds weight, lol.

All in all, I was able to stick with 30DS for 20 days, not 20 days straight, 20 fluctuating days and did lose inches. One of the girls in my forum just did 30 days straight and the results were amazing, her name is BurgundyRayne, try to look her up in the mini goal photo album, it speaks for itself.

Good luck!
luckylindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #3  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

I like it - it is only 27 minutes long and I can fit it in anytime with little to no excuses.

It is very intense, I only do it every other day. The moves are easy and don't take much coordination (not my strong suit!). Very sweaty, very intense - my heartrate monitor said I burned 267 calories in those short 27 min!

I only weigh and measure once a month - have been doing it for 2 weeks and I don't weigh til November 1st so I can't tell you what the weight gain or inches lost is yet.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

There is actually a long thread of 30DS users in the exercise video forum
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/fitn...pport-2-a.html

I have it and think it is a really good video and would recommend it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #5  
Mind Over Stomach

S/C/G: 160/ticker/136

Height: 5' 5"

I would recommend also! It's tough!
specialkonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #6  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

I personally think that Jillian Michaels is a maniac. I did the 30 day shred for 12 days and the first day, I couldn't even raise my arms to wash my hair.
It's a good workout, very short....but wow. You have to be seriously disciplined to do the 30 days straight (IMHO). Good luck!!!
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #7  
Beings fats is brutals

Height: 5'10

I LOVE IT!!!

I had never heard of Jillian Michaels until I came across 30DS on Exercise TV on Comcast On Demand. At the time I was trying different workouts on there. I had things I liked and disliked about all of them. When I tried 30DS I was in love though!

Reasons I dig it:

It's short enough that I can talk myself into doing it every day. I don't do well with exercising for a long period of time a few days a week. Things will come up or I'll make excuses not to do it.

I don't have to be coordinated. I'm SO clumsy. I can't do the fancy pants dance workouts. I get mixed up and trip over my own feet. She keeps things very simple. Most of the exercises are familiar.

It's complete. Cardio, Strength and Abs. And since it's okay to do every day I don't have to keep track of when I do it or how long I should wait before doing it again. I just plan to do it every single day. I do occasionally miss though. I've missed 2 days so far in December since I was uber busy with holiday festivities. However, there were other days that I had holiday events to attend and I STILL had time to Shred.

No weird equipment! You just need hand weights and a mat if you're on a hard surface. Most people seem to use 3 or 5 pound weights, but use whatever is right for you.

She's TOUGH and tells you to KEEP GOING. I guess since I was raised by my dad and 6 big brothers I prefer that approach. I don't personally respond well to coddling. Passive-aggressive PC BS generally just annoys me. But I guess that's why I have a hard time working in an office.

The workouts are TOUGH. I'm cold natured and I don't sweat a lot. I've done many workouts that never made me break a sweat. This one makes me good and sweaty every time. And I totally feel the strain of my muscles during the strength exercises. I know I'm not just going through the motions. I'm really making the workout count.

Results! I'm losing inches and my strength and endurance or improving every day. I weighed myself in late-September and then again at the end of October and the end of November. The scale hasn't moved too much. But it has moved some, I just haven't bothered changing my ticker because I feel like it's so little an amount. However, since I started my weight loss in June and I have no idea what I weighed but I was much bigger, it could be that I'm at a plateau. I'm really not sure. But again, I'm losing INCHES!!! That's way better.

It's cheap! I got it for 10 bucks at Walmart and I think it's less than that at Amazon.

Notes:

I sometimes extend the warm up and/or cool down if I feel like it's just not enough. I'm ridiculously cold all the time. So I often need to warm up before the warm up or I can hurt myself. And if I feel a muscle is still tense after the cool down I'll go ahead and do some more stretching. But if I wasn't the Ice Queen I wouldn't need a longer warm up and the cool down IS usually plenty of stretching.

Some people extend the cardio. I'm pretty active during the day but if I had a desk job I may want to add an additional cardio workout too.

I was on Level 1 for a while. Then I moved to Level 2 when I was ready. Don't force yourself to move on until you're ready. There was a definite jump in difficulty from Level 1 to 2. When I'm ready to proceed I'm going to alternate my days between 2 and 3 instead of just doing 3 every day. I didn't think of this until I was plenty used to Level 2 though. Also, some people seem to alternate all the workouts for variety.

I wish there was more variation on the cardio. I started regularly exercising and stopped smoking in June. Some of the exercises were really hard for me to keep up with. I would end up just doing SOMETHING to keep moving when I could no longer continue. That said, maybe she didn't include a lot a variation for people that would just automatically go for the easier workout. I don't know. I do a pretty good job of being honest with myself and TRYING every exercise every time until I can do it but I guess some people will take the easy way if they think it's alright to. I like to keep focused on Natalie, she's the badass - sometimes I can actually keep up with her and that feels great! Especially if I couldn't before and I had to work up to it.

Geez. I know this post is long. But I'm trying to be thorough!

Last edited by Metal Chick; 12-30-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Eye kean't speel gud
Metal Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I'm glad to read all these posts! I bought the 30DS quite awhile ago but had surgery right after I got it and wont be able to start in until the 11th.

I saw BurgundyRayne's pictures.. WOW.. definitely a big difference! I can't wait!
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

I'm going out today to get some weights on sale at target so I can start this 30 day shred tonight. Why wait until new year's day?
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:26 PM   #10  
Beings fats is brutals

YAY! Good for you! Every positive decision brings you closer to your goal.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/261/165

Height: 5'8

I've used it on Comcast ONDemand, and it's so good! I highly recommend it!
thevillageghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #12  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I just bought it today it was 8 dollars at walmart and I love work out videos an am bored of mine so I thought I'd try it.

Today was my first day and I must say it kicked my butt completely. But I liked it, its short and none stop which makes things great. Might not be able to do it every day but i'm thinking doing every other day for 2 months and i'm sure you'll see the same result if you were to do it every day for one month. I am sure though i'm going to be very sore tomorrow so doing it tomorrow wont work lol. But i'd say buy it because it's affordable.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #13  
Beings fats is brutals

Awesome! 30DS has a whole thread in Fitness Videos. Come join us there if you want. There are people at all levels you can talk to about it.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/fitn...rt-2-a-37.html
Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I tried all three levels. I also exercise fairly regularly, including running, hiking and mountain biking, so I am not new to exercise. I found after doing it for at least 15 times I did not lose any weight, going the whole 30 days in a row, well who knows. I really believe you have to rest in between because to me some of those exercises seem like they are strength building. At any rate, I was just too sore. And my knees killed me. I won't do those static lounges. I found on exercise tv, there are a lot of effective workouts that don't kill you, and you can always throw in a run or walk after.
rosemarie0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:02 AM   #15  
Motivated 1/13/2010

S/C/G: 169/ticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I am seeing my muscles building. Then again, this is my first exercise regiment in like 5 years. I am only on day 6 andI feel just a tad stronger and with my new eating style and the shred, I am seeing a small change. So, I think it works if you are starting out and are low in mucle strength - like me. Than again, this is just my opinion.
Teresa2010 is offline   Reply With Quote