Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/185/125

Height: 5 3

Cool Not sure if I'm in the right forum...new here

Hi. I am new to natural diets and trying to lose weight unsuccessfully for the last 7 months. I just saw my nutritionist/ chiropractor today and he has put me on a 21 day cleanse. I haven't even read the pamphlet yet but feel like something has to give. I am worn out, frustrated, physically fried. I really think my deal has to do with hormones at the cellular level. He seems to think we will be able to figure it out once I am "detoxed" so to speak.

Anyone done this before? I was decreasing my sugar, wheat and dairy as well as taking whole food supplements for body systems that tested weak on Nutrition Response Tests. I lost a few pounds here or there. Not enough to really keep me long term motivated. I guess I am a sugar addict. I definately love my cream and sugar with my coffee. I know all of this is about to change. I am deciding when I am gonna start. He wants me to schedule an appt with him and then count back 21 days and start then. He says it is crucial for him to evaluate me on the 20th or 21st day of the cleanse. So for now, I'm eatin'. Having a last Hurrah!!
almsthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

So for the cleanse, you aren't eating? Well I'll say that isn't the "Whole Foods' way

I personally don't believe in cleansing/detox 'products' but there are a lot of allergens that we commonly digest such as eggs, dairy, wheat, peanuts, etc and if you are sensitive to one of these foods, eliminating them can make you feel better. It is usually what is called an elimination diet where stop eating common allergens and you add stuff back in to see how your body reacts to each item as you add it. Your body is wonderful at detoxing itself as long as you give it plenty of fresh fruits, veggies, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #3  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

our bodies naturally cleanse themselves. a good number of folks at my job are doing the master cleanse (lemonaide diet) in order to "detox" their bodies...that cleanse was designed by a doctor to help folks with stomach ulcers. I did 2 months of vegetarianism to get my body going and lost weight pretty quickly (for me). I too am a sugar addict and since tracking my meals, i find that the lionshare of my sugar comes from fruits and veggies.

I personally do not like cleanses that require that you fast because it seems like starvation to me. I question the medical and nutritional validity of such things.
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/183/145

Height: 5"4

I tried a detox a couple years ago and (warning this may be TMI!) it made me very constipated. I lost maybe 3lbs in the 2 weeks that I did it but my stomach was uncomfortable the entire time. It didn't do too much for me to 'cleanse my system.'
But for the past 3 and a half months (excluding the holidays of course!) I've been trying to eat as clean as possible, following Tosca Reno's Eat-Clean Diet and it's worked wonders. Not eating anything with preservatives or laden with ingredients I don't even know has cleared out my system more than a detox. I also noticed form eating clean that my skin looks better and is clearer and I have much more energy (that's from working out too!)...now if only the pounds would start falling off!
mandymic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/185/125

Height: 5 3

Wink

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I wasn't very clear about the cleanse because I hadn't really read the program guide. It is eating, and fiber supplements, and green food supplements and protein shakes and lots of whole food supplements.

I meant I was "eating" now as a final period of enjoyment before I begin a whole new lifestyle and new and improved body! I plan to start it Friday so that I can be evaluated on the final day as directed.

The more web searches I did based on my symptoms, sounds like I am in adrenal burnout which makes sense with my "superwoman" lifestyle: RN, wife, 4 kids under 7, 10 yrs of marriage to a recovering self centered man, and completely deficient in self care.
So, I do embark on this journey, willingly, but with great hope that eventually, I will feel like myself again, whomever she might be.
almsthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm not sure if 'supplements' are the right way to follow a whole foods plan. Although I myself take a 'greens' supplement, but not because I'm lacking greens in my diet. I take it because I like it. If you are eating plenty of whole foods, you shouldn't need a fiber supplement.

I think it is more important what happens after your 'detox' than your detox itself. Are you eating a lot of fruits, veggies, legumes, whole grains, etc during your detox? Is there a plan to follow afterwards? how do you go from eating your current diet to eating a healthier, whole foods based diet?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote