South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 148/141.5/125

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Seeking Help With Phase 2

I started Phase II on Monday and at first it was going really great. So far I've found that I'm solid eating oatmeal in the morning and I think I'm pretty good with berries and yogurt in the evening. Sweet potatoes seem to make my tummy grumble like I'm hungry when I know I'm not and I think HFCS makes me crave.

My issue is the last couple of nights I can't seem to get full and I can't tell if it's I'm still hungry or I'm just wanting to eat. In Phase I I'd get to a point after eating where more food didn't even sound good and the last couple of nights I cannot seem to get to that point. Outside of 1 serving of starch and 1 serving of fruit I try to stay with Phase I foods.

I just see myself getting derailed and discouraged because I'm hungry and craving again and I fear that almost everything I love will be off limits for me if I want to feel full and not crave.

Any thoughts?
KKBs Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

Try adding just one thing. Maybe take away the berries at night?
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

HFCS shouldn't be part of your Phase 2 choices. Not sure where it's coming from with oatmeal and fruit? Are you eating whole oats or instant? Personally I never touch the stuff because it causes me huge problems.

Sounds like you are doing a good job testing foods. Hunger is usually a cue that something is off unless you really eating less. Maybe cut back to just one grain or fruit a day for a couple of weeks and then experiment again.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: maintaining

From what I have read on other threads, you might have added too much too fast. This time around, my third, I am adding only one thing at a time and late in the day. So far that is working.

And I also think that certain foods, although PH2 approved, are just hard for me to control so better avoided. Sweet potatoes, that you mentioned, for one. Crackers for another.

Also, you might consider steel cut oats instead of oatmeal.

Good luck.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #5  
Jess is losing it!

S/C/G: 189/159/129

Height: 5'3"

I tend to agree with those who posted above me, you might have added too much too fast. The key for phase 2 is to only add in one thing at a time, and only keep it if your craving do not return. Berries at night might be the culprit: too sweet too late, and causes cravings for more. When I made the shift to phase 2, I added one slice of whole wheat toast with my eggs in the morning. The rest of the day is still phase 1 foods. So far so good with cravings! Next I'm going to try a piece of fruit with my morning snack like an apple, orange, or banana. But if I feel ANY cravings, I'll cut back. IF you figure out how to keep the cravings in check, you won't be so discouraged about not being able to eating your "favorite foods", because you won't crave them! Ironic, isn't it?
jazzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Ok, now I'm going to go on another tangent here. Cat, one of our successful maintainers, brought up some highlights from a book she had been reading. There was a suggestion that part of craving had to do with being in various stages of malnutrition from eating so many processed foods. If you think about it, white flour starts as whole wheat before all the healthy things(such as bran) are taken out.

I definitely had similar experiences to those you described. I, too, was trying to figure out if it was my body or my head that was hungry. I decided for me, it was a bit of both.

What I did, was focus on OP foods that could be eaten without reservation. I kept 3 bean salad in the fridge, and had vegies, chicken bites and homemade soups that I could feed myself when I felt like that. The feeling did pass, I don't remember exactly how long it took. I also remember thinking it might take awhile for my blood sugar ups and down to normalize.

I can tell you how I felt this morning; I was super energetic, doing all sorts of stuff. I had to stop myself and have my breakfast. When I did, I reflected that it's amazing that I have to "remind" myself to eat sometimes because I no longer feel the way you describe.

I suggest reading what everyone says; and then think about what seems to be your solution.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: maintaining

It really strikes me how different we are.

One example: Jess eats her grains in the morning and finds berries to sweet at night. I am the opposite - finding grains too tempting and that I am less likely to go off plan if I save my add-ins for late.

There is so much great advice out there, Nicole. You will just need find what works for you.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #8  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Debbie - I did the same (though no chicken ) Now I keep veggie soup in the fridge - just plain vegetable broth with high density, low glycemic veggies. My current favorite is a can of diced tomatoes and some coleslaw mix because it's easy I add a little chili paste or hot sauce because I like that sort of thing. I can eat as much of that as I want with no "diet" problems and it's very filling (low glycemic, low cal, no fat....)
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Also are you having a snack? An evening snack was a must for me when I started SB. Now, I eat so many veggies with supper, I am often too full to have a snack in the evening. I do snack sometimes late morning or mid-afternoon. Why not post your menus so we can see what and when you're eating and how much. You should not be hungry and craving.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote