Old 01-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #1  

Default Friends and Losers: Jan 11-17, 2010

Just to start the new week.
SyracuseNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #2  

I'm not disappointed in myself, because I did really good on plan last week. The problem is, I didn't lose 1 pound. I wrote everything down. I passed up on many goodies offered to me. My sister even made homemade cinnamon buns and I even passed on that when offered yesterday. You know how hard that was...

I always seem to be saying the same thing over and over, but the more I try to lose weight, the more frustrated I become. Ever since I went through the COL, I can't seem to lose any weight.

I'm more determined than ever this week to make even better choices, and eat less to see if that will move the scale downwards next Monday.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #3  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

hello all. just thought i'd check in and say hi. hope everyone had a nice weekend and is ready for a productive week!
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #4  
Back in the saddle!

Height: 5'8"

Default Getting back into it!

So, today is the first day, and I'm trying to do a pseudo-take off (using oranges). So far, I'm hanging in there. I ate out enough this weekend so I shouldn't feel those urges for a while.

Got up this morning and did 2.2 miles on the elliptical. Not overwhelmingly strong, but still good considering i haven't exercised in ages. Tomorrow I will go a little further, a little longer. Just keep on trucking!

Hope everyone had successful POP weekends!
green0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #5  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Oh Sy, sorry you are frustrated. My thought is that your body needs a little time to adjust, so maybe you just need to keep giving it a little more time, and things will start to happen.

I am so excited to see some of our old friends back. Kristin, Wendy, Erin, yay!!! I hope that we can continue to encourage each other and get the old support and comraderie going strong. Thanks to all of you for your awesome stories, support, and sharing your journey.

I have talked a little bit about what is going on with me. I have been doing daycare for the last 10 years. I have gotten more and more sick of it over the years, and I have been ready to move on and do something else, but I make a good income doing daycare, so it has been hard for me to say good-bye to. In the meantime, for the last two and a half years, I have been working at a clinic that I own with my sisters on the weekend doing Reiki (energy healing), card readings, past life regression, psychic readings, teaching meditation, etc. I feel that this spiritual work is my true path in life, and I really want to do it full time. So.....to make a long story short, I have finally decided to close the daycare at the end of the month! I am going to work a few hours per week mentoring other daycares for the state, and dedicate the rest of my time working to grow our business. We have a wonderful in home Reiki program for cancer and HIV patients that I want to do a lot more with. I am so thrilled and excited. My DH thinks that I should be worried about money, but I am not. I am certain that things will work out in our favor, and we will be fine. All of this makes me more determined than ever to stop the weight madness, and get these extra lbs off once and for all.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #6  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Great job Erin, that is fantastic!!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #7  

Katie: Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm not giving in yet.
Katie, as far as going for your dreams, go for it girl (you may never pass this away again to the opportunity that awaits you). Best of luck and if you need anything let us/me know. It will be an exciting year for you. Me too but not by choice. I do consulting services in IT for a large corporation. I've been doing consulting services at this customer site for 21 years, and this past year they replaced the computers that I manage/support so my contact is done at the end of this month. Then, after 21+ years I go back to working for the large corporation that I continue to work for for the past 31 years. But, since 90% of the employees in my state work from their home office, I don't even have an office to go back to. And, I'll feel like a new employee all over again. Actually, I'm feeling more like a fish out of water. So, now it's up to me to find more consulting work for myself. I'm excited and scared to death after having a secure job for the past 21 years. Katie, I wish I could visit your place so you could tell me what the future lies ahead for me.

Green: Good job with exercising.

Last edited by SyracuseNY; 01-11-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #8  
Yoga-addict

Height: 5'2''

hello All!

Nice to see this group getting bigger and active ...lots of new and old faces

Sy - Hang in here! Drop a plan if you need to. Regarding new numbered plans,unfortunately I know only about Plan 1 and 2 ( or Plan 2 and 3 without lites) so I have no idea what are the servings on the other plan numbers. All I know is if you have 50 - 70 lbs to lose, they put you on Plan 2 w/lites and after 30-35 lbs they put you on Plan -1.
It might or might not help you. This numbered plans are part of Rapid Results plan...you can find a thread by that name on this forum.

Erin- Great job and good luck!

Katie- Good luck to you too!

Happy Monday!
mj2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #9  
Yoga-addict

Default Slim Forever the French way ...by Michel Montignac.

I found this awesome read at the library this weekend called...Slim Forever the French way ...by Michel Montignac.
For anyone interested...it teaches you how to choose low-GI food to trick your body into releasing less insulin and making it use more reserved fat.
This is because excess insulin secreted by a sensitive pancreas( carb-sensitivity or pre-diabetes) is the reason behind fat storage in body. Most people develop a sensitive pancreas with age...or years of abuse with high GI fast food...or may be even hereditory. But ...the book tells you that it is absolutely treatable...you can make your pancreas normal by choosing low- GI food.

I found some useful info such as...if you eat high GI food like Fries ( GI-95/100) with steak or fatty burger, the high GI food releases a lot of insulin and traps the saturated fat from the meat. That is the main reason why fast food combo make us gain weight.

Also some interesting facts like raw carrots ( GI-30) become unhealthy starch ( GI- 85) when it is cooked and the fibre in them are broken by heat...same happens to overcooked pasta.

The best part from the book I like is...you can eat till you are full, as long as you can keep the total GI of your meal very low.

I haven't finished reading yet but so far it makes a lot of sense. So those of you think that you not getting results as you want, you might want to take a look at your food choices.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #10  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

Hi all - it warms my heart to see so many new and old faces here!

Weekend went - OK, I guess. We got all un-Christmassed on Friday night and I cleaned on Saturday, and then painted our master bath on Sunday. Living the dream! LOL. All part of the newer, more organized me.

I skipped 30DS yesterday, and today I won't be doing it because I am hauling my arse back to the gym. Gulp. I'll just sneak in with all of the other New Year's people and be anonymous.

Sy - Stick with it, hard as that is. I never see any good numbers from weeks 2-4. Cruel, cruel world that it is - I do start to lose pretty well after that, and if I can make it to 6 weeks - well, then when I weigh in, the birds start singing, rainbows shoot out of the sclae, and the world is a wonderful place. I was there once or twice - it's nice. I hope to be there again!
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #11  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Sy-make sure you're not "undereating" as well-if you're not getting enough calories-you're body goes into starvation mode and holds onto the fat instead of burning it. Go to fitday or some other equivalent and put in your info and see what calorie range it recommends and then put in a couple days from last week and see if it's too high or too low. The heavier you are the more calories you need to (get to!) eat and STILL lose weight.
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #12  
Alannah

S/C/G: 260/231/140

Height: 5'3"

Happy Monday!

I have been OP for a couple of days now. I plan to do a FF with oranges here maybe thursday/friday or so.

Not a lot to report from here. Had a quiet weekend - just me and the pooch. I am finally feeling better after a month and I am finally off the antibiotics so they just need to clear my system over the next few days.

My friend next door and I are going to start walking at the indoor track starting tomorrow. We are aiming for a few times a week minimum and take it from there. That should be fun. We always chat away while we walk and end up walking further than we originally planned cause we just don't shut up!

I may take a look at this EODD plan and see what it's all about. Don't really know much about it yet.

Hope everyone has a good day!
equinetcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #13  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi Friends

I love new energy and excitement and it is really rollling on here I am happy to report that I completed day 6 (I think) of the 30DS. It took me almost all day to squeeze it in, but I did it. My house is a mess, and I feel very disorganized right now....but I am working out. My eating hasn't been perfect, but one thing at a time, right? I did try to sneak a piece of cake tonight, and CHOKED on it. Yeah......pretty clear sign, huh?

Anyway....just wanted to pop in and say hello. I will check back soon
XOXO
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #14  

Kim: Thanks for the encouragement and telling me that it may take me 6 weeks OP to see any weight loss. My husband was telling me the same thing, to give it a couple weeks. He is older than me and has loss the 40# that I've gained. He lost his weight in 'clumps' as he puts it. When he didn't see results, he tried harder. I guess I have to get the fact out of my mind that I should be losing a # a week or more like the olden days (a couple years ago). I'm proud of myself that I'm still OP and didn't give up after 7 days like I normally have the past couple years (and I blamed it on COL). Day 8 is down, and I'm working on Day 9. Thanks again!!!

JulieMarie: Good idea about adding up the totals to see if I'm getting the right amount of calories... Thanks for the idea and I'll try that.

MJ: Any more 'tips' from the book? I knew there was something about carrots because they use to be unlimited at WW, and now you have to measure. Does it give you a list of foods that are low GI? I'd like to incorporate some low GI foods it into my plan.

Katie: How are things?

If I missed anybody, I'm sorry.

Hugs,

Sy
Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #15  
Yoga-addict

Hi All!

Finally I made it to the gym after a whole week...and actually I feel great!I have graduated from treadmills and ellipticals to stair climbers and 20 mins of stair climbing felt great ...after that i did some light training too.

Nicole - You are amazing, really! I love the +ve energy too...and i think one thing about this group is that we are all very positive...no matter what. I can't remember a week where i heard something negative here...that is why I keep coming back no matter how busy i am.

Sy - Last night I read something about AGI ( average glycemic index) of a meal and we are supposed to keep it as low as possible combining all food.
Typically...vegetables/fruits/protein having a GI <= 35 can be eaten as veggies or fruits or protein...but those having higher GI MUST BE eaten as starch...to lose weight.
As for eg...parsnips( cooked),carrots (cooked),fresh/frozen peas,kidney beans, sweet potato,pumpkin etc must be treated as starch.
Also there is something to do with meal combination. Lean veggie protein( without saturated fat) can be eaten with high GI carb (starch)...but never animal protein+starch together...because all animal protein have saturated fat. Animal protein+fat+ low Gi carb( veggies) can be eaten together.
This is because...saturated fat ( animal protein, butter etc)is same as human body fat so it can be stored easily in insulin secretion is spiked by high GI carb...but unsat fat like olive oil,nuts will not have that effect when eaten together with starch.

Also I liked that Dark choclate( 70% cocoa or more) has GI as low as 25...and is a guilt free treat .
The book does have alist of low GI stuff...I'll try to scan those over the weekend and email you a copy.

Have agreat day everyone!

Last edited by mj2007; 01-12-2010 at 01:59 PM.