Old 01-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #1  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Default my body doesn't want me to be fat just yet...

Since early December, I really slacked off on the exercise routine. I basically gave up running since I'm a wuss and did not enjoy running in the cold. When I did run a few times, I realized that I lost a lot of ground and that I'd have to build up my endurance once again. However, over the month of December and early January my food intake was very good and I continued to make modest progress on the weight loss. As of 4 days ago, I was just 4 pounds away from being fat.

Because I really want to run a 10k in April, I've decided to get EXTREMELY SERIOUS about exercise. My goal is to go to the gym every day during the week and alternate running days with weight lifting days. Because of my work schedule, I only have 30-40 minutes at the gym wicked early in the morning (I'm there from 6am to 6:30ish).

Since resuming a serious workout/ running/ weight lifting schedule, I've noticed that my daily weigh in numbers have increased. This morning, I was up 2.5 pounds .

I know this is because of water retention, muscle changes, glucogen, etc etc....

I'm still eating very healthy and staying within my calorie range, so theoretically, I should be losing fat. I'm just a little bummed that getting down to an overweight BMI might take a couple of more weeks.

For people that started lifting weights, how long did it take for you to start to see loses on the scale? Did you initially gain the first couple of weeks?
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #2  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Hi Matt,

First - WAY TO GO! Great job getting up and getting to the gym!!

One of the reasons why I don't like BMI is that it takes the focus off of what our bodies can do and what they look like and puts it on a generalized guideline of what it should weigh. Please, while you are weight training, don't focus on the BMI. Eat the right foods, lift and run and you'll get to your goals.

Your body might hold as much as 7 to 8lbs (for a man) of water/glycogen, etc for up to a few days following a strength training workout. How long does it normally take you to lose that much weight? That's about how long it will take to get past the initial gain. Muscle=Metabolism. The more you can add to your body, the faster you will lose weight going forward. Why don't you have your body fat % checked and track that for awhile in addition to the scale. You could also take measurements. There are so many better ways to track progress than the scale!

Keep it up and you'll be running with power very soon!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #3  
Absent Minded

S/C/G: See ticker for details. :D

Height: 5'4"

Muscle weighs more than fat... So if you're lifting weights you're losing fat but replacing it with muscle. I'd suggest adding toning to your routine so you don't gain too much muscle mass. And don't start with the biggest weights on the rack! Start small and gradually work your way up. I don't lift weights myself but I do know that it takes time to notice any kind of change, good or bad. Don't get discouraged if you don't see the change you want right away... Just take comfort in knowing you're headed in the right direction. Good luck!
MisfitRycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Every time I increase my exercise my weight goes up. Arrrggh... I feel your pain-- but YOU SERIOUSLY ROCK with your new routine. Good for you!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #5  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Way to throw yourself back into it Matt!... I need to get back into an exercise schedule too. I've been slacking since mid Dec... I'm sure my weight will jump up afterwards too (it usually does.) For me it took about 2-3 weeks before I started losing again the last time. Stick with it... even if the scale doesn't move you know you are doing the best thing for your body!
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #6  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Oh Matt my friend, I feel your scale pain! After making it to the two teens and into overweight territory, the scale has been up every single damn day the 4 days since, knocking me back out of both. So depressing, and yes sums up my feelings as well!

Sigh. But you are exercising, and that is fantastic! Take heart, the scale will right itself soon. It has to. Right? We're not exceptions to the weight loss rules...

P.S. - Your "wicked early" reference made me think fondly of a guy I worked with from Sandwich, MA. Everything with him was wicked this and wicked that. Made me smile every time I heard it!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

I have been unable to motivate myself to exercise since just before thanksgiving. I know how good it feels to do it...but somehow I just can't seem to get started... Hats off to you ! To answer your question... If you are lifting you can certainly expect to plateau because you will offset any fat loss with muscle gain...that's a good thing ...even if it lasts a long time .Try not to focus on the number.

Last edited by marigrace; 01-12-2010 at 09:35 PM.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 402/277/healthy

Height: 5'4"

Matt - Hang in there!! You are doing all the right things. It will show on the scale soon. Meanwhile you are getting so healthy
bluebutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote