Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Can You Be Overweight and Still Be Healthy?

Several new studies are raising questions about that comforting notion . . .

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...WT.mc_ev=click
mrainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:00 AM   #2  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

Interesting article. I think it makes sense because weight is only a single factor in being healthy. It's possible to be at an ideal weight but unhealthy (poor eating habits, no exercise). Losing weight and reaching 'goal weight' is important but definitely needs to be kept it in perspective of the overall goal of being healthy.

Now if I can just remember that and stop focusing so much on my darn scale, lol.
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #3  

My doctor told me that all of my bloodwork, etc. has really been great, and he wants me to quit worrying about the scales. I told him to quit having the nurse weigh me every time I come in to the office. He said, "Good point!" I don't think that will change though. lol
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #4  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Besides being overweight and having the usual expected problems that come with carrying so much weight (sore back, shortness of breath) I'm pretty healthy, my blood pressure and everything is normal, I became pregnant back in July and I was put on B12 pills, but besides that everything has been fine. I've been overweight since I was about 12 years old and I've wanted to lose weight since then but I've only managed to gain weight (in the beginning mostly because I was going about it all wrong, I wouldn't eat all day) but I plan on getting serious about it after this baby is born because I really want to be healthy for the baby and be able to play with him or her and take it swimming and to the beach etc without worrying and I want to be a positive influence. I definitely think you can be healthy and overweight.

Last edited by Trixie14; 01-11-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #5  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

Ive always been fat. 5 years ago I did trail work. surrounded by dozens of skinny petite teenagers, I beat them going up and down the trail. at 215lbs I backpacked over 100 lbs of crushed granite. hiked a mile with an 8 foot tree trunk on my shoulder, and spent shifts swinging a pickaxe. I did these things at 215lbs, 225lbs, 264lbs. Weight is a number and only one factor in health problems. the interesting about "factors" is that they are just factors, not garantees. Thin does not garantee good health. being active does not garantee good health(jim fixx died of a heart attack, sure he had atherosclerosis, but many folks thought he was healthy). I started my change because I want to, not my health (which, outside my weight is fine), not others because they can't possibly know me, not to blend in. You have to do things for you. each journey is personal, tho many people's journey can be similar to you.

Last edited by eroica27; 01-11-2010 at 07:22 PM.
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #6  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Just because you're big doesn't automatically mean you're going to have heart trouble, diabetes, arthritis, back trouble, etc. I've seen skinny people *with* those problems, and I've seen fat people *without* them. Yes, I have diabetes and arthritis, but my heart has been thoroughly checked and is very strong.

I've worn out my hip joints from over-walking. The most I've ever walked at one time was 27 miles. I was sore the next day, and was told it was because I was out of shape! Can the average person walk 27 miles in a day and not be sore afterward? I doubt it.

Any time I experience pain or a health issue, my weight is automatically blamed. What would doctors say to someone who was 100 pounds less, but diabetic, arthritic, or whatever?

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 01-13-2010 at 09:10 PM.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I think there are far too many variables to answer this in the abstract. Too many factors are involved....

How fat?
What do you mean by healthy?
What health issues run in the family?
What do they eat?
Do they exercise, and how and how often?
What other healthy habits does the person have?
What unhealthy habits does the person have?

And probably a dozen other factors, no one, even the scietists have thought of yet.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:38 AM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Not to mention how "overweight" is defined. Unequivocably, someone can be overweight by BMI and healthy...many professional athletes are classified as overweight by BMI, simply because it measures muscle weight the same as it does fat, so if you're heavy and strong, the formula just sees you as heavy.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

At 360 lbs, if you looked at my bloodwork, you would've classified me as healthy. My blood pressure was normal (even a bit low), my cholesterol/triglycerides/etc were all good and everything was just overall good. Now my cholesterol and stuff is even better but I'm still overweight but I'm at a much better place for myself than I was at 360 lbs.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #10  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Yes. I'm obese yet every metabolic and physical test would put me in a healthier category than my thin beau. I will say that the diet and exercise to get me down to current weight is what has put me into this state of health, when I was heavier and not working hard at diet and exercise I wouldn't have classified myself as in excellent health as I do now.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote