South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default OT but maybe not...Perimenopause

OK, I thought when you started getting towards menopause that's when your period goes AWAY...not comes more than once a month. Seriously, for the last 3 months or so I am having about 24 day cycles. I'm pretty regular, but the cycles are getting shorter! I've only been on SBD since last Monday so I don't think it could really have had any impact (positive or negative) on my cycle yet, or could I be wrong? The periods are not remarkable in any way and actually progress the same way the always have - not many cramps but just a little, and about 5 days long. Any suggestions for me?
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Menstrual irregularity is a common sign in perimenopause - periods can be shorter or longer or uneven in rhythm and length.
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #3  

I often wonder if it's dieting per se or peri-menoupause setting in myself. Mine range from a mere 19 days apart to as long as 30+ days. From an almost nonexistant flow to rather heavy. It may be my imagination but it does seem to vary more when I first begin a diet especially when I cut carbs.

Last edited by jeanies; 01-11-2010 at 05:00 PM.
jeanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Me too, my gyn describes them as bonus periods. Hmm, some bonus. On the plus side now I'm starting to skip a few. At almost 49 it's hard to argue for anything other than age in my case
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Mine got a lot closer together before they started stretching out farther. Definitely not fun, but talk to you doctor about it if they get heavier or more painful. Mine we awful due to fibroids.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #6  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I'm 50 and feel like I was regressing into my teenage years - periods closer together, crampy, PMS - all stuff I hadn't dealt with in years. Last month (for different reason) I went on birth control pills and it's nice to know when my period will arrive again.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 166/162/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm about to turn 50, and my periods were still regular, but getting heavier. I'd have to "double up" and run to the bathroom at least every couple of hours.

I talked to my GYN and she recommended a procedure called Novasure endometrial ablation. I had it done this September. It was an outpatient procedure, and insurance paid for it 100% (lucky in these times, I know). I couldn't be happier. I can still tell by breast tenderness that my period is due, but there's *no* bleeding, and no bloat.

Can't recommend it enough, but things turn out differently for different people, so you have to do your homework to make the best decision for you.
weakling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #8  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I known some women the ablation worked for and some that it didn't. My doctor said it wouldn't help with my fibroids. Had a hysterectomy at age 45. Now they do uterine artery embolization as an alternative too. I'd look into that or ablation if I needed something done now.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:11 AM   #9  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I started in my 30's...weird and irregular..
then they stopped all together in my mid 40's full blown menopause.
Then came back again a few years later...every few days very heady..
Then the hysterectomy, then menopause yet again after surgury...
hysterectomies are a great thing!
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote