Old 01-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/260.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Default How to quit smoking and lose weight

I quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant with my son, but started again recently, because apparently I'm an idiot. I need to quit again, which I know I can do, but does anyone have any advice on quitting smoking and losing weight at the same time. Last time I wasn't concerned about what I ate, I was pregnant, I was supposed to gain weight. This time I would really like to do better, but I don't know how I will handle it, so if anyone's been there, can you give me you experience. Thanks.
ToriLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Here is a post I made to someone else that had asked me here how I had quit smoking while losing weight, I hope it can help you in some way

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/2885060-post21.html

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #3  
Getting Started

S/C/G: 275/257/145

I don't have any advice, but I wanted to say congrats on the decision to quit again!
mel hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #4  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Chantix helped me - I did gain a few lbs but use the veggies as a substitute rather than the candies. Even if you put on a few lbs in the long run it's WORTH it by far! Good luck!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #5  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

I'm a gum chewer. When I quit smoking, gum was my BFF. I get the sugar free kind where it's only 5 cals for 2 pieces.

Also, you may want to try weaning instead of going cold turkey. Like if you smoke a pack a day, smoke 3/4 of a pack for a week, then 1/2 a pack for a week, etc. I researched this many moons ago and people who weaned off nicotine instead of suddenly quitting were much less likely to regress and pick up smoking again. Don't get me wrong, not smoking is important and the sooner you quit the better... but you want to do it in a way that is beneficial for YOU and that will make you less likely to pick up a ciggy 3 months from now.

s YOU CAN DO IT!
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #6  

Thanks for the advice! Although I want to look better, my main reason for losing weight is to get healthier, so quitting goes right along with that.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 320/320/154

Height: 5"8'

Hi ToriLeigh

How long has it been since you started smoking again? I started back about two weeks before Christmas, I'd given up 2-3 years ago when I got pregnant. Even though I've been smoking for a month or so, I know I'm not quite addicted properly yet because it's not too hard to resist the urge to smoke - are you at that stage too, or do you think you're as addicted as you were before?

I sort of gave up today, and I haven't eaten any extra, I don't think. But it's really early days so far. I would say the things that have worked for me (although YMMV) are...

1. I'm avoiding hanging out with family or friends that smoke, just for now
2. I've made sure there aren't any biscuits or cake in the house (this is usually the case, but it goes double for now)
3. I've got some low calorie rice cakes for when I really feel like nibbling, also some sugar free mints
4. I'm drinking extra coffee so that I've got something to reach for.

Cheers, and good luck!
QoS

Edited to say I just read Onederchic's link and Allen Carr's book was what helped me give up the first time, and that's the approach I'm taking now. If I hadn't lent my copy to my sister I'd be a bit stronger about giving up today because I'd be re-reading it!!!

Last edited by QueenOfSwords; 01-10-2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: wanted to add...
QueenOfSwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #8  

I started again about 3 months ago. I just had one stupid cigarette and I was hooked again. I am not one of those people who can smoke "socially" or whatever, I know that when I quit this time, it has to be for good. I think I will try the gum. I also love baby carrotts, so I think I will keep plenty of those around to munch on, keep me from going straight to the chocolate.