South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/162/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Exercise in Phase I

I'm on day 6. So, yesterday I was feeling all energetic and healthy and decided to break out one of my speed-walking DVDs and just go a mile. I haven't exercised in months because I was too busy being slovenly and self-indulgent.

I got in the shower afterward and thought I was gonna fall asleep! It got me to wondering if there are enough carbs in Phase I to support a bunch of huffing and puffing. Should I put off cardio and weight resistance until Phase II?
weakling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

This might help: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...phase-1-a.html
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 166/162/135

Height: 5'5"

Thanks, Cyndi. I think I'll ride out the exercise thing until I begin Phase 2, other than things like taking the stairs and parking farther away. I really don't want to discourage myself....leads right to a bag of chips!
weakling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #4  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I made it 8 days through phase one and I am love exercising...between the headaches and tiredness, as soon as I added in a fruit and some oatmeal, within two days I was feeling 100 better. It helped get those things out of my diet but sure didn't feel too healthy, especially at the gym
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

I read that thread that Cyndi posted and thought there were a lot of good ideas there. But for those who really want to exercise on Phase I, I found that having beans for breakfast gave me more energy for cardio than eggs.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #6  
Working on healthy

or my favorite breakfast - an egg and refried beans, with salsa of course
Old 01-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Good ideas.

Question to those who work out regularly: I am going to the gym 1-2x a week. I tend to do the "fat burning" workouts. I don't know if they really work but I am still sweating and while I am not panting for my life, I feel like it's a good way to ease back into exercising after like, a 4 year hiatus! Is this right or wrong? Should I be focusing on cardio?

(also, the plan is to do 45 mins on machines, 15 on legs/arm/back and then 30 minutes of swimming/5 in hot tub/10 in sauna).
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 206/190/140

Height: 5'7"

I didn't do any exercise other then walking during phase 1. I've never been great at exercising or wanting to.. however when I was months into this WOE in 2007 I was feeling great and was really liking my transformation and started an exercise routine because I wanted to!
oopsmyhalofelloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #9  
Working on healthy

The vast majority of my exercise when I was losing was walking. It still is. I also do a little light arm work with weights and some focused core work a few times a week. I like riding my bike and yoga and mix those in when I can. That's a long way of saying that whatever you enjoy will work for you. The important thing is to get moving again.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8"

Hey Jenn,
That's quite an ambitious workout schedule if you are weaning yourself back into exercise! I've done this off and on for years and what I would recommend is maybe doing 20 minutes on an "all over" body machine like a rowing machine to strengthen all your muscles for a couple of weeks. Could you do this every day before you jump into strength training? Sometimes going back to the gym is just a matter of getting back into the habit, but your planned workout sounds very rigorous (and as though it would take a lot of time each day - is it realistic?) Sorry to but in where not asked but I've been down this road so many times -
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #11  

Jenn - I think if you can only get there once or twice a week then you have a good plan Lots of cardio for burning calories, and cross training with the swimming. And experts really stress the strength stuff now - supposedly if we build muscle we will burn more calories. So I think having both is important and you have that planned. Don't forget your chest and abs.

Of course the best plan would be to add in more days... but you are doing great to fit in what you can. I don't have a job and can't imagine how hard it would be to exercise if I did.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #12  
Working on healthy

Jenn - you already have some good feedback. I'll piggyback on it - if you cut those workouts down a little could you get to the gym more often? 1-2 a week is better than not exercising but probably won't get you into a routine that will be easy to maintain. Are you doing anything at home in-between (videos, Wii, etc)? I've become a fan of on-demand exercise TV for days I just can't get interested in any of my usual stuff. Adds some variety to my workouts. You know I'm a fan of those 10 minute workouts too. I'd never fit arms and core work in without them!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #13  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Hi all and thanks for the feedback.

Right now we can't afford the gym. So the extra $40 from each of my checks after paying my bills is no longer going to junk but to the gym. It's $12 for the two of us to go once. DW gets to go 4x because of the class she is taking.

Issue is, I have classes starting tomorrow and while I walk during the week (to and from my house to the Metro), it's not feasible for me to extend my even long work day. It would mean not eating dinner in favor of the gym.

My calendar, so you get an idea:

6:20a wake up (gym and pool do not open until 6a and DW has to be at work, 30 m. away, by 7:30a), leave house by 6:55, wife drops me off at metro. I take Metro and walk from the station to work. Start my day at 8a and go through at least 6. Commute home (1 hour). Get home by 7p. Change, eat dinner, go study from 8-11p. Go to sleep. Repeat.

When I can gauge my work for school, I can gauge what I can do and when. I will likely take a class come the summer when I have 2 weeks off but until then, I think my routine will most likely be on weekends...

I am going to TRY to work in Wii Active each morning (starting today) and get up 20 minutes earlier but I need to make sure I can go late into the night b/c of school...you know? I am pretty good at time management but if anyone sees a hiccup where I can improve, let me know!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #14  
Working on healthy

I agree Jenn - your schedule is crazy! Two thoughts - first, get a pedometer if you don't have one and walk wherever and whenever you can during the day. Seriously I must log 2 miles a day back and forth to the water cooler and then the bathroom My Mom is a teacher and she just paces the halls when she has a 5 minute break. She also does laps around her upstairs now because the basement is too cold to use the treadmill. We have the strangest conversations in the evening while she is doing loops around her kitchen and hall It's silly but that pedometer will encourage you when you see how much exercise you can sneak in. Second - try a 10 minute workout in the evening when you need a brain breather from studying. When life is crazy you have to work with what you have. You're doing great! Just keep doing what you can and think about sneaking little bits of exercise in when you can.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #15  

I think Cyndi's advice is great! And it reminds that I read once about squeezing in exercise at odd moments. One example is doing squats when you brush your teeth. Or butt squeezes when you weight for the elevator or in line. (I always laugh at that image.)

You are crazy busy Jenn.