View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
PeanutsMom704

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

ha, good timing because I just finished chopping up 2 lbs of carrots to have in my salads all week.

For me, the major thing about eating clean/whole as much as I can means I have so much more control over what I eat, how much I eat, all the ingredients, and the amount of chemicals I'm ingesting. I'm far, far from perfect, and I'm fine with where I am, but I've tried the Lean Cuisine and Slimfast routes in the past, and I've never felt this good and most importantly, I never felt like I changed my life the way I have now. Pretty much by definition, Slimfast is a temporary fix, and I now know that controlling my weight is a permanent situation. Sure, you can drop weight on Slimfast, but what happens when you stop being ON Slimfast? For me, and I think for the vast majority of people, that weight comes back because you have just taken a temporary break from the behavior that made you gain weight, without actually changing that behavior. I think if they can jumpstart someone into a healthy, REAL food-based weight loss program, then great! But I think it takes more to achieve sustainable weight loss.

Lean Cuisines are a little bit different IMO. I think they can be a good way of learning portion sizes and to recalibrate your eyes and your stomach to appropriate amounts of food. And they are certainly a better alternative to many other quick and no effort foods you could eat. So to me, they can have a place - I have a couple in my freezer, just in case. But they are very high in salt and other chemicals, and I don't think a ideal choice from either a health or weight loss perspective, at least not in to have regularly. One thing to keep in mind is that the nutritional info is not always completely accurate - I just saw a news story yesterday saying that the amounts were about 10% off (saying that a LC had 300 calories when it really had 330). And same thing with the nutritional info that restaurants and fast food places provide - the FDA considers it accurate if it's within 20% of the actual amount.

As for tracking calories in homemade food - I weigh and measure all the ingredients before I cook and then figure out how many portions I've made and use that to calculate my calories when I eat a serving. It takes a bit of extra time and effort but as a couple of people pointed out on another thread yesterday, I used to spend a lot of time thinking about how much I wanted to be thin. Now I'm putting that same amount of time into actually getting there!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote