Old 01-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/257/184

Height: 6'0"

Default First day at the gym...

Hello everyone! I am brand new to this and am so excited about the support! Today is my first day going back to the gym...except for this time I am probably about 60 pounds heavier than when I last went. I woke up feeling so anxious about being the "fat girl" in muscle city. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this feeling and if so, how you were able to rise above. I'm afraid I'm going to go and be so uncomfortable that I won't go back. Help!
brandijune44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #2  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I think (hope) you will find that everyone at the gym is so into what they are doing, that they won't pay a bit of attention to you. When I was much heavier and working out at a gym, I always felt conspicuous, but the few times anyone ever bothered to notice me, it was to be perfectly friendly. I think people who are at the gym, for the most part, are going to be impressed that you're taking your health in hand. That's why they're there as well, after all.

Of course, this time of year not everyone at the gym is committed. Luckily those people will be gone in a month or so, and you'll have less of a wait for the good equipment!

Having said all that, I had a panic attack at the gym once. It was awful, but I don't even think anyone around me noticed. They were all focused on their own workouts and not worrying about what I was doing, thankfully.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 219/172/160

Height: 5' 4"

Good for you! Pat yourself on the back for the courage to go to the gym. I understand how you are feeling. When I finally went back to to gym I chose Curves as it is all women, no mirrors. I found it to be a very supportive place and have made many friends there.
I recently switched to deep water swimming fitness classes at the local parks and recreation. I am 60 pounds overweight and my best friend talked me in to joining. I am 55 and found women my age and much older in horrible shape but all comfortable enough to put on a swimsuit.
I checked out a lot of gyms before choosing one I felt comfortable at.
Helen ready to lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #4  
299lbs.wordpress.com

S/C/G: 299/285/145

Height: 5'9''

I can totally relate! But guess what... despite my anxiety of going the gym is actually a very nice and non-judgemental place! You just do your thing and remember why you're there in the first place; for YOU!
299lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #5  

Thanks so much for your kind and wise words. It helps to know that I'm not the only one with this anxiety...you all inspire me
Old 01-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 251/see ticker/175

Height: 5'11"

I am going to sign up for a monthly gym membership this week...I also have some anxiety about going but when I think of the alternative (going back to work in April in this shape and with this much weight), I am horrified....so I have to be strong and go...and I know once I go, then the real struggle begins to stay motivated. We need to think of it this way...no one is going to do this for us if we don't do it for ourselves...another day, another week, another month will pass by and we will still say we got to do this...why not start today, right now
Summer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

You never know who you're going to be next to on the machines. What if it was me? Or any of the others on this board who have lost 50, 60, 80, 100 pounds & more, and did it gradually, over a long period of time? As you are now, so once were we. There is no way we would ever look at anyone heavy in the gym with anything but warmth & encouragement. Just imagine you're surrounded by people like those on this forum, rather than Olympic-level athletes or the housewives of Orange County. You know in your average gym that's far more likely to be the case. It's only going to take you a visit or two before you see that the gym population reflects the rest of the world, with all its human imperfections & good intentions.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #8  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

there are some muscled people at my local Y, but I definitely wouldn't label it muscle city, heh heh. yes, I was extremely anxious about going to the gym at my size, 20 or 30 lbs heavier than I am now. I didn't have any problems, many people, no matter what their size, feel self conscious and nervous at the gym (and thus may act dopey).

I'm seeing the January rush this year, it was crowded last night. lines for the machines and everything. It gave me an opportunity to mix up my routine, I used a bike instead of a treadmill.

have fun!

the wives of orange county, that's really funny. our group is the average joes/joans of brooklyn

Last edited by dragonwoman64; 01-05-2010 at 11:48 AM.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #9  
Oh buddy, it's on!

I know exactly how you feel! Yesterday was my first day back to the gym and I felt like everyone was staring at me. But I did my workout and afterwards I felt great. And I know you will too!
Katy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #10  

I LOVE IT!!! You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for your input...I will now be working out this afternoon with a little more comfort, knowing that I may be seen not by the Real Housewives but perhaps the joe/joans of Brooklyn. haha
Old 01-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

chances are good that everyone will be too focused on themselves to care.

And, in the off chance someone does have a negative thought, so what? You're doing this for yourself, not for them. Keep going because you're going to feel amazing and because you're worth it
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #12  

So true, so true...thanks!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 219/172/160

Height: 5' 4"

Thumbs up

Be sure and let us know how it goes this afternoon.
Helen ready to lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #14  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I went back to the gym yesterday. I am way heavier than you guys and everyone was totally friendly. Everyone is there for tyhe same reason. Most people will not judge.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #15  

This helps so much you guys! I will certainly let you know how it goes. It took me about a month of looking around the area and multiple gym showings to find a gym that I felt comfortable with so hopefully it will be a good experience.