Old 01-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default Any health or weight loss books that have helped you.

It's always good to get ideas from others.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Funny enough, back in the day, I never recall reading a single *diet* book. Not a one. Interesting, no?

I read my first one AFTER hitting my goal. When I became a health minded person I was interested in what others had to say on the subject.

My very favorite, which I wish every overweight person would read, is "The Thin Commandments" by Stephen Gullo. It was recommended to me by 3FC's very own Mandalinn. She had read it and said it (he) had many of the same philosophies as me. I read it and I kept nodding my head over and over again with what he says. He even recommends string beans as a good snack (my favorite and one that I always recommend to others). I instantly fell in love.

http://www.amazon.com/Thin-Commandme.../dp/1579548989

Last edited by rockinrobin; 01-03-2010 at 09:10 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

First & foremost, Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution and Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. Also, Gary Taubes Good Calories Bad Calories.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #4  

It's been awhile since I read it, but I liked Skinny B*tch and found that Diet for a New America *really* made me think about what I was eating.

Both of the books push you towards a vegetarian lifestyle. Though I still eat meat it's an interesting perspective and cutting down on it has helped me lose weight and feel better about myself.
juliejenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

Jason Vale: Slim for Life.

Don`t let the title deter you, it`s fantastic and makes utter sense. I think this book really did it for me and started the ball rolling.
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #6  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

YOU: On a Diet by Drs. Oz and Roisen. Such great information about how our bodies use food, why we get cravings, and how everyone should eat. Good stuff!

Also any books by Geneen Roth. She writes about compulsive eating and is so wise. Her books blew me away because they described my binge eating so precisely. Very helpful.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post

Also any books by Geneen Roth. She writes about compulsive eating and is so wise. Her books blew me away because they described my binge eating so precisely. Very helpful.
She writes a monthly article for Good HouseKeeping every month, which is always spot on. I would therefore imagine her books would be just the same.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

The only book that really helped me, so far, is Overcoming Overeating by David Kessler. He explains a lot of the science of food, and how we get programmed to overeat-- and some of the insights about food craving really spoke to me.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, The Omnivores Dilemma, and In Defense of Food - all showed me all the wonderful things that could come of growing my food or obtaining it locally, cooking it, and eating it in season.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Right now I am reading The Beck Diet Solution (corny name I think). It's a cognitive approach to changing the unhealthy habits that can prevent weight loss. It goes along with any healthy food plan of your choosing. It takes some time daily to implement the plan - but, is worth it.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 01-04-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #11  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
The only book that really helped me, so far, is Overcoming Overeating by David Kessler. He explains a lot of the science of food, and how we get programmed to overeat-- and some of the insights about food craving really spoke to me.
Yes! I read that one and thier other one called When Women Stop Hating Thier Bodies. That and a few months of therapy and I am ready for my transformation! I really needed to tackle the mental side of this. Those books were a big help. I especially like the illustration about the dust that freezes everything. What would you do if a magic dust blew onto earth and you and everyone else would never gain or lose a pound? Would you go to the beach finally? Buy new clothes, try for a new job, get out and socialize, starve yourself, eat foods you hate, kill yourself at the gym, etc. Obviously, it's an illustration and we all are here because we want to lose weight, but the mental hang ups we have can prevent us from being successful. I took the book's suggestions to heart and got a new haircut, new clothes and really started taking care of myself. I feel beautiful even if I am overweight. For me, that series was very helpful. They describe a method for dealing with the eating disorder that is overeating (binge eating) that won't necessarily lead to weight loss but does help in breaking the eating disorder. I had to conquer that for a period of time before I could "trust" myself to try to lose weight the physically and mentally healthy way. It will always be a struggle for me, but I have tools now to deal with the struggle better than I could before.

I also like Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet. It's just common sense nutrition. Eat whole foods and feed your body often so you don't get hungry. I like her perspective and even though the word Diet is in the title, she promotes a lifestyle.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, Kessler's idea of "hyperpalatable" food was like a light bulb for me. "It's not me that is messed up for craving endless bites of this food. It's because the food is *hyperpalatable.* The *food* is abnormal, not me." It's surprising how much it helps just to realize that, consciously. Food choices involve a lot less feelings of deprivation.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 01-05-2010 at 10:31 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #13  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Simple Swaps - Biggest Loser book. I like some of the advice in the book!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote