Old 12-31-2009, 04:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Default Swim lessons ?

I never learned how to swim so at the ripe old age of 49 I'm thinking I just might reward myself with swim lessons next year.

I just started water aerobics and it is scary how weak I am in the water. I can do the exercises with no problem but moving backwards after moving forwards is impossible at this point. I see I don't have the strength to move against the current of the water but I'm hoping to see some progress and when I do I want to take some swim lessons.

Has anyone here learned to swim as an adult? I know it's different for everyone but I'd love to hear how long it took you to learn and how long it took you to gain strength. That's really my only fear--knowing the moves but just being too weak to actually move forward! Other than that I'm pretty comfortable in the water. I'd also love to hear of any benefits you've seen from swimming.

I wonder if giving myself 2-3 months will put me in a good place (physically) for swim lessons? Any thoughts?

Thanks for any and all input!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:19 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I think this is an awesome goal!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I work at a pool that does adult swim lessons, and the speed at which people improve varies GREATLY. But I want you to know that you aren't alone. We have a lot of adults that are just learning to swim, the ones who do best are those that practice outside of class!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:35 PM   #4  

That makes sense--thanks for the encouragement!
Old 12-31-2009, 11:17 PM   #5  

Height: 6'2

I played water polo and swam in high school, and can say that swimming is a great exercise.

Do you know how to swim, and just not in shape for it? Or do you not know how to swim at all? Once you get moving in the water and feeling good with your stroke, here is a work out program to build distance and endurance that we used back in high school for the J.V team.

http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

If you feel that might be to tough, there is also the

http://ruthkazez.com/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.html

program which starts off with walking in the pool, then running, then laps. Make sure to find out the distance of the pool because these are based on meters so you know how many laps you'll need to do. Good luck and welcome to this amazing sport!
luvtolose728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:36 PM   #6  

Thanks for the info.

I do not know how to swim, I have just noticed in the first water aerobics class I took yesterday how weak I am as far as moving forward or backwards against the current of water.

I'm glad to hear that swimming is great exercise! Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 01-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #7  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I've taught some adult swimmers and you don't need to worry about the strength -- if you're a walking functioning adult, you'll be able to swim. Lung capacity takes the longest to develop. A good way to start is the kickboards at the pool. That gets you in the horizontal position, moving forward and you don't have to worry about coordinating your breathing.

The YMCA offers adult swim classes for people who have never learned to swim.

In my former life, I must have been a mermaid because I've always been a swimmer. I take it for granted so thanks for making me realize I have a mom to thank for that!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #8  

Thanks for the encouragement. I AM a walking functioning adult! I can do this and it will be an excellent reward to my self.

Maybe I can practice with the kickboard after the water aerobics class......thanks for the idea!
Old 01-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I started taking swimming lessons two years ago. I go once a week, on Sundays. I've had foot problems & I get knee soreness, so I'm trying to work on my form for swimming, since I know that form of exercise could serve me well in the future years & outlast my legs. I did swim when I was an adolescent, but it had been a good 25 years since I was last in the water. The pool is a great equalizer. There are women older than me and twice my size who swim more adeptly & go for more laps than I do. Endurance on land is quite a different thing from endurance in the pool, as I've discovered. I thought I'd attained a good level of cardio fitness -- and my doctor thinks so, too, after doing EKGs on me -- but oh boy, nothing wipes me out like trying to do consecutive laps in the pool.

I've never taken the water aerobics class they offer, though it looks fun & challenging -- it's held two hours before my class meets & the location of class, miles away from where I live, makes it impractical to attend both. Good for you for getting in the pool & working it! I wish I had been more adventurous a few years ago & started water aerobics & worked my way up to swimming that way. A lot of the women in water aerobics stay in the pool for the Beginning Swim class afterward. We have a lot of adults learning to swim. Because I live near NYC, the classes are extremely diverse & many class members are immigrants to the U.S. I was surprised how many grew up in the Caribbean islands but had never learned to swim till they came to the U.S.

Last edited by saef; 01-02-2010 at 12:46 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #10  
Looking for Zen

S/C/G: 315/267/180

Height: 5' 10"

I've been debating taking swimming lessons at my gym (the local Y), but I've been feeling silly with it.

I mean, I know how to swim in the fact that I know how to move across the water and not drown. I live on the water in the summer with water skiing, knee-boarding, etc.

But I have no idea how to swim a lap or proper swim form. So I've been tossing around the idea that maybe I need swimming lessons for something different to do at the gym.
Jilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #11  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolose728 View Post
I played water polo and swam in high school, and can say that swimming is a great exercise.

Do you know how to swim, and just not in shape for it? Or do you not know how to swim at all? Once you get moving in the water and feeling good with your stroke, here is a work out program to build distance and endurance that we used back in high school for the J.V team.

http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

If you feel that might be to tough, there is also the

http://ruthkazez.com/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.html

program which starts off with walking in the pool, then running, then laps. Make sure to find out the distance of the pool because these are based on meters so you know how many laps you'll need to do. Good luck and welcome to this amazing sport!
O wow, thanks for the links! I haven't been swimming ages, but having a neat schedule like that is encouraging to see (bit like c25k). Now where's my swimsuit?
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote