South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 06:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Default Wintery Weekend Chat

It's snowing again on this cold winter morning. It's looking to be a long, cold, white winter for us, as we've already had more snow so far that we get all year.

We're going up to Shady Maple for breakfast and a few groceries (it seems we're always out of something! ), and stopping at my brother's afterwards to drop off some presents. Monica rescheduled Carley's birthday party for this afternoon, so I may go across the river with Andrea and the kids. We're just waiting to see what the weather brings first.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning

Hi Cottage. For us, the winter isn't any colder, whiter or longer than usual-it just IS. Every morning when we go out with the doggies I sit all bundled up and discuss the garden with Kirk. He must think I'm nuts-this AM it was vining acorn squash up a fence in the back-he had this look on his face that was priceless. Needless to say, he's back in bed perfecting hibernation.

Enjoy your Shady Maple breakfast and BD party. I hope the weather cooperates.

Me, up knitting-finally. Starting a project is the hardest and I have 3 hats that need to get done while it's still winter. Bing and the kitty are snoozing on the couch. Not much on our agenda today. There is a winter farmers market being advertised, but I'm thinking it's mostly product-20 m 1 way-further than I want to drive today.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #3  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Morning all!
I don't know how you ladies with constant snow deal with it all winter! That snow we had last year for a few days was more than I want to see! brrrr!
It's 36 here this morning and that's cold enough for me. I hate winter.

Cottage, have fun at the birthday party!
Lex, those hats sound cute! I wish I could knit! The only thing I ever did was a long scarf in high school.

Me, not sure yet. We are going to N.O. to visit my Mother in Law before she heads back to Houston. We may go visit an old house/gardens..not sure yet.
Have to go back to school on Monday and really don't want to! The kids won't be there though. It's a workshop with an author of a book on how poverty can affect kids. Should be interesting though.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Good Morning, Cat. Boy, I hear you on winter-it's not my favorite but it's where I've always lived. N.O. sounds fun. I love watching the many shows about the houses and gardens of your area. I don't think anyone is ready to go back to school-the kids are having a great time in the snow every day. BTW knitting is easy, but I never knit in the summer. I'm a beginner, but learned to make hats for as a service project for our troops overseas. A freind and I teamed up and made almost 100-now I'll never forget.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Good morning!

Cottage - enjoy the bday party, if you go!

Lexiss- I would think you're crazy too ! Does he get up, go outside with you, then come back in and go to bed? If he does, that is Amazing!! My DH has quite a hard time getting out of bed in the morning...

Cat - that books sounds interesting. Enjoy your last couple days off!

Me - I was trying to inspire myself to go to the gym while everyone else is still in bed, but it is WICKED out there!! I want to stay here all bundled up! We've got lots of things to do this weekend, in preparation to knock the walls out of our kitchen and work on the new office, pantry, etc. It's going to look awesome when we're done! I'll have to post pictures!

Have a great weekend!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning from snowy New England. Looks like we're in for it again, though not as much as Heidi. It is the pretty fluffy stuff though, so nice to look at it. I'm worried about the overnight winds. Just hope the power stays on.

Cottage - I could shop every day and still be out of something. What's that about?! Enjoy breakfast and the party

Debbie - We need to talk gardening or we would never make it through Feb. and March. Check out this place, http://www.wintersown.org/. I got 28 varieties of tomato seeds from them (small 8-10 seed packets) and a bunch of other cool stuff too. Now I'm all about getting the greenhouse up and starting plants.

Cat - I'm not a fan of snow and cold but I also hate humidity so there's no winning Who is the author? Sounds interesting.

Twynn - Mornings like this are why we invested in exercise equipment at home. If I don't have to go out I hibernate I tried the Biggest Loser game last night - definitely a good workout. A friend swears by EA Active for cardio but I'm not getting that one just yet

I had a great day back on plan 100% yesterday and am ready to keep going. I prepped three kinds of beans and froze small packages so I have easy meal components set. Also made an awesome veggie chili. No, there's no recipe Chili in our house is always whatever beans and veggies I have around. Yesterday I had lots of red beans, some white beans, and a small container of pigeon peas in the freezer. Turned out it was a great combination! I also had some pumpkin to add in. Plenty leftover for the week too

Well it was a late start this morning. The cats woke me up at 4 but I finally got back to sleep for awhile. I wonder if I can get out for a newspaper.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Drat! Had a long post and lost it when I got an IM! $%%#$#

Anyhow....Good morning. We are cold too but not below 0F. Right now there is Christmas snow falling and more to come. I'm sure glad Richard ploughed the lane yesterday.

I've been staying snuggled at home the past few days, taking it easy with quilting and reading. I even skipped the Mayor's NY's levee yesterday. I just didn't feel like ditching the jeans and t-shirt for something less casual and being social with that lot. Let them think I'm becoming a recluse.

Back later. I slept in for a change and the doggage are restless.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #8  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Cyndi, the book is A Framework for Understanding Poverty.
Glad you asked cause I needed to pack the book for Monday.
I have one of those big old "rolly carts" to tote my stuff back and forth and need to get it organized for back to school day.

Cyndi, that's a neat site! Ilove the little printable packets! I was just outside looking at my garden...whatta mess.
I have one little tiny broccoli and some parsley and some bok choy that looks ok, the rest..yuk. I can't wait till spring. We had big plans of digging up some stuff this week and between the rain and cold didn't get to it.
I think I'm ready to move to a loft condo with a patio for potted stuff. If I could find one downtown, I'd move in a heartbeat.

Last edited by femmecreole; 01-02-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

Today is January 2, which is one month to February 2, which is Ground Hog Day, which is 6 weeks till SPRING! I'm offically 'done' with winter. I don't know how you Northern Chickies do it either! It's 21*F right now. It's not supposed to get above 38* for the next several days. So, I'll stay in the house in front of the fireplace getting dryer skin and scratching! Sounds fun!

Last summer I loaned out my SB book and never got it back. I need to visit the Ph.1 thread so I can remember what to eat. At some point, I have to get on the scale, but I'm scared.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #10  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Cat - I wondered if it was Ruby Payne's work. It's been very popular around here for several years. I attended a full day training a few years ago and many agencies have implemented her ideas. I'll be curious to hear what you think
Old 01-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #11  
Be happy.

Good morning ladies!

It's snowing here, too, but it's not too bad yet. The heavy stuff is supposed to come in this afternoon. I'm going to an 11:00 wedding and I'm praying that I'll be safe and sound at home before the roads get too bad.

I had a great time on my snowshoes yesterday, the snow was perfect and it was beautiful with a light snow falling and the limbs of the pines weighted down with snow. I should have taken my camera along, but I didn't think of it til I got up to the logging road and I wasn't going to head back for it then. I'd like to go out again today, maybe this morning if I can get myself in gear and get things done quickly enough. I don't know if I dare say it out loud or not but.... I LOVE winter!

Cat, our whole school staff spent a year reading and discussing Framework several years ago. Even though I felt like I knew this community and the tough circumstances some of my students and their parents were facing, the book was a real eye opener. I hope your workshop day goes well. Even with a great speaker that's not the way I'd want to spend the first day back after vacation. Zzzzzzz Zzzzzzz

Good morning Ruth - Sounds like you picked a nice way to welcome in the new year, snuggled up at home. Have you finally kicked that cold?

Hi Cyndi - I love reading your menus. I'm a boring cook, though I'm not sure why. I'm pretty creative in other areas of my life but as far as food goes I don't dare get too adventurous. I wonder if 30 years with a husband who only likes to eat what he's "used to" could have something to do with that that?

Hey Twynn I'll be looking forward to those pictures. I love to daydream about doing our kitchen and entry way over - opening up the two. I don't know that we'll ever actually do it, but it's fun to think about.

Debbie, I was thinking the same thing as Twynn - Kirk gets up, goes out with the dogs and then goes back to bed? I couldn't blast Fergie out of bed with a cannon to do that. lol He's always been great with the pets (and kids ) but he either gets up and stays up or stays in bed til he's ready to face the day......

Good morning Cottage - enjoy your breakfast, shopping and visit with your brother. Poor Carley, snow interfering with her birthday party again. I have a winter birthday too and remember being disappointed a couple of times because school friends couldn't make it to my party because of slippery roads. We never postponed back in those days... or at least my family didn't.

I just previewed and saw your post Chelby. You're wishing your life away, this morning, eh? A little cold weather is good for ya! lol I've got 3 copies of the SB book for the exact same reason you mention. I loan mine out and don't get it back for a while so I grit my teeth and buy another one...... I finally got smart and picked up a 'loaner' copy at a yard sale.

Enjoy your Saturday friends!
Old 01-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #12  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Twynn, yes, DH gets a little miffed if I don't wake him for the 1st cup of coffee. We've been doing it for years. How exciting that your project is finally going to take off!! I still love my new kitchen!

Cyndi, thanks-I'll check out that website. Sadly, I don't have a greenhouse-although DH would love one. Staying OP-I'm really interested to see how you feel minus some of the regulars.

Ruth, this is the time of year we can get away with staying at home. I suppose tomorrow is out for church so enjoy it while you can. Pups are restless here, I was beginning to wonder about Rudi. Got them to the park yesterday and he ran around and looked normal. Our pups will be happy when spring comes, too.

Oh, Chelby. Thanks for the info!! The groundhog never does what it's supposed to do, but at least it's moving ahead. Are you still in your shorts and birkies? I saw several of the old books at thrift stores and I'd send you one but you probably want supercharged.

Heidi, I hope the roads cooperate. I'm so glad you love winter. I wouldn't mind it if I didn't love my bike and garden soooo much. Your post got me laughing this morning. Thanks! I think it's really great DH doesn't do much on the computer-this one anyway.

So, I'm canning the knitting for now. Sophie, I was calling your name earlier. It's too complicated, and I need to tear out and simplify
Old 01-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #13  

Height: 5' 7"

Good morning chickies,

It is a nice 6 degrees here can you say BRRRRRR!!! Heidi if we atleast had snow to go with it, it wouldn't be so bad we could go sleding out back.

Cottage hope you get the Birthday party in today, enjoy your breakfast out.

Debbie that is funny that DH wakes for the first cup of coffee but that's nice that you have company for a bit and then quiet time again

Cat it will be hard to get back into the full time grind on Monday but it won't be long til Spring Break.

Twynn no way would I go out in this weather to go the gym, I have a stock of videos to choose from and plan on doing one in a few.

Cyndi enjoy your veggie chili- day 2 of 100% op eating for me as well, other than a headache which is partly allergies, I can feel my body detoxing so I am happy. My goal for 2010 is never to have to detox again staying onplan is so much better for our bodies.

Ruth enjoy your quiet time before you know you will be super busy again

Chelby my sticker is lying but I decided to do a two weeks op before I change it to whatever it should be then. More of a mental thing than anything else.

Heidi snowshoeing sounds fun, you will definitely have to post pictures the next time you go. Be safe on your drive home from the wedding.

Today DS turns 18, where does the time fly. We are going to take him and gf out to dinner to a Mexican restaurant (where I can stay op lol). He already had a bd party this week with friends. Yesterday I ended up taking all the decorations down and cleaned house, I miss the decorations but am glad to have the house back in order.

Have a great day everyone
Old 01-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #14  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

Good morning.
Just a quick check in because we are driving up north to visit a friend and having lunch with her.
Debbie - don't give up on the complicated stuff in knitting, just take it one step at a time or just put it away for a while and when you are more relaxed it will work out.
take care
Sophie
I don't know if it snowing up north, sure hope not because DH will turn right around and come home.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #15  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Thanks, Sophie. I'm still working on it! Drive safe!
Closed Thread