South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 279/252/160

Height: 5'5"

Default Phase 2 is makingme nervous

I have been in phase two for one day. In this one day I have already eaten the wrong popcorn (contained palm oil and a little salt) and bread that is potentially not a wise choice. I was so excited about transitioning to this phase, but now I am beginning to worry that my novice knowledge of the SBD is going to cause me to stall or hamper my weight loss. I am reading the book and it is definitely helping me along the way, but I am still really nervous about the new things that I am introducing (mainly the ingredients). I know that book says that in Phase 2 you have to try to pick and chose you carbs. This too makes me nervous. I am so tempted to eliminate bread from my diet, but I know this would not be very wise. I never thought I would wish to be back in Phase 1. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys. You have been such a great support network thus far.XOXO.
sjohnson102006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Why do you think it's not wise to eliminate bread from your diet? Many of us here have bread rarely on Phase 2. I found that if I have too many starchy carbs, it stirs up cravings for more. I try to just have one starch a day, usually oatmeal.

There's an excellent sticky in the FAQ section titled "Phase II Emergency Handbook" that you may find very informative. I hope it helps!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

When I was on Phase 2 for several months last year I never missed bread. I find I do better not to have it at all; easier than moderation for me. I quickly added steel cut oats for breakfast and crackers later in the day. I would much rather have those than bread! And I did best when I stayed Phase 1 for lunch. Actually, thinking back, I stayed Phase 1 for dinners too. I know lots of people add grains to meals but I didn't miss them as much as crackers and fruit. Funny how different we all are.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #4  

Great. I really haven't missed bread, but I thought (although incorrect) that it wouldn't be wise to eliminate it. I think I will just do that. It is such a headache to worry about how much and what ingredients to avoid in it, when I really don't care for it. Plus, I do not want to start craving it. Thank you guys so much.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:15 AM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Transitioning to Phase II, I only added one fruit for the first week, then added oatmeal once a day for the second week. After that I occasionally had a second serving of fruit, and/or a second grain. I usually eat a sweet potato or brown rice with dinner. Like others, I don't miss bread at all. I find if I eat too many grains I start to crave more.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

As I was reading through this thread this morning, what really stood out to me was how different we all are in P2. For me, in P2, I have taken several things into consideration;
1. What I enjoy eating
2. What I can eat and continue to lose weight
3. How I can learn to read labels and buy appropriately
4. What I can't stop eating when I start

For me, I have to find a way to incorporate foods I enjoy in order for SBD to be a WOL (as long as I can eat a reasonable portion then stop.) I enjoy bread, but I don't eat it every day and I need to understand what bread is appropriate WHEN I choose to eat it. I have found I am able to portion it and it doesn't cause cravings for me. Personally, I use Ezekial breads and tortillas but I keep them in the freezer, since I don't go through a loaf very fast. Ezekial products are made from sprouted grains instead of refined flours which I think make them really SBD friendly. My local grocery carries their products in the frozen food section and they are avaliable at health food stores. Here is a link to their products; http://www.foodforlife.com/

Here is a thread I found helpful for reading labels
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...se-breads.html

I still get frustrated from time to time because there is so often a huge difference between what the front of a package advertises and what the actual ingredients are. I am very careful when buying bread, crackers and cereal. BTW-with bread I'm fine, but crackers-I could devour a whole box, so I don't incorporate them into snacks but occasionally crumble a few atop my salad...and I rarely eat brown rice or sweet potatoes. I think that is one of the things I like most about SBD is that there are lots of choices.

Take it a day at a time. I remember being nervous when I started into P2. As you slowly add things you will quickly find what works for you and what doesn't.

Best Wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:36 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

It is important to have some grain in your diet but there are lots of yummy whole grains out there. I make bread every week but only eat the end slice out of the oven (usually with Laughing Cow). I do like whole grain porridges, multirain hot cereals, brown & wild rice, quinoa, millet and just this week I tried amaranth. Wheat berries and spelt berries are also great ways to add texture to stews.

One of my favorite things about this WOL is how much experimenting I've done and how many things I've learned to use and enjoy.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #8  

Thank you guys. I am so glad i joined this forum. You knowledge and personal experiences, routines, and tips have really helped me along during my SB diet.