Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #1  
Gonna be a marathoner!

S/C/G: 268/258.6/134

Height: 5'4"

Default Do any commercial pizzas not have refined sugar?

I'm trying to do a whole year without refined sugar. I think the hardest part will actually be pizza. LOVE the stuff and yup, it's usually got sugar in the sauce. I'm ok with things like honey, agave nectar, brown rice syrup, etc - basically anything more "natural".

Are there any pizzas out there, besides fancy organic ones (which I will get, but I wish I can have normal pizza too) that don't use sugar? Any delivery ones? Bueller?
Tibouchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

I don't eat commercial pizza, so I don't have an answer for you. However, you may want to check out the blog of a woman who did exactly what you're doing last year. She may have some insight!

http://myyearwithout.blogspot.com/
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #3  
Gonna be a marathoner!

Thanks, hehe, I happened to have that blog up already and been reading it. What a funny coincidence.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #4  
Beings fats is brutals

Height: 5'10

Check with your local pizza shops. I'm here in a somewhat large city in the Midwest and I know of a few different places that offer special pizzas. I know of some gluten-free pizzas, but I'm not sure if they use sugar or not. You might be able to find one without sugar though. Just call and ask.

If you're not successful in finding a pizza place that doesn't use sugar, and if you don't want to make your own crust and sauce, here's what my bf and I do:

We make personal pizzas with pita bread. We just leave it whole, top it with what we like, and pop it in the oven or toaster oven until the cheese melts (doesn't take long). If you can find pita bread that doesn't have sugar it's a fun idea. We use whole wheat pita ourselves and it's always awesome.

He likes regular pizza sauce on his and I prefer olive oil and garlic powder. Then we just top them with the toppings we want. We use the same cheese (usually mozzarella or goat cheese) but we can vary on toppings. I like to use a lot of vegetables, pineapple and pine nuts. And he likes more traditional toppings.

Just have fun with it and make it to your taste.
Metal Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #5  

I agree on making your own. So much cheaper, able to customize, etc. Evenm if you buy the dough pre-made you can made your own suace (just crush or blend tomatoes and cook down with spices and garlic/onion). For the dough take 2 cups of flour, sprinkle in half or less of a packet of yeast, tsp salt, add in a scant cup of warm water, stir like crazy, let sit a couple hours and GO....
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #6  
it's always something

I'll toss in another vote for making your own I use whole pita as suggested above. My favorite toppings include a little goat cheese, a few smears of well roasted garlic, chopped sundried tomatoes, a very light drizzle of olive oil and fresh chopped herbs. If going more traditional, I use a smear of good quality crushed tomatoes, fresh herbs, and a very light sprinkle of cheese or freshly shaved parmesan. I really like being in control of the ingredients.

If you are only looking for a commercially made pizza, try Amy's Kitchen. They offer single serving pizzas that are healthy. They do use evaporated cane juice, but it's so far down on the ingredient list that it's probably equal to the amount of yeast in the recipe. I'd say most of the 4 grams of sugar in the pizza come from non-sugar ingredients.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #7  
Gonna be a marathoner!

Thanks I will make my own as possible. I think this might be an exception I make once or twice a month, to get takeout pizza. I think I would go crazy if I just cut it out entirely, so I will go for moderation.

I also make little English muffin pizzas sometimes. Or use my sandwich maker to make pizza sandwiches. So much better!