Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-31-2009, 01:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default Help. Hip pain on treadmill

My first post in the exercise forum.

I'm mostly a swimmer but use the treadmill once or twice a week.

The last two times I've had pretty bad hip pain during my workout.

I never had this problem before-- it's on one side only, and seems worse with a greater incline although I'm not sure if that's the problem. It's worse with walking than running.

I don't feel this pain at other times, like swimming, walking outside, or just walking around, although I have had a little pain there occasionally. I did not notice it as a problem on the treadmill before.

Tonight, I had to cut my workout short.

I'm not sure if it's something particular about my gait on the treadmill.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/173/135

Height: 5'5

i had the same problem however mine hurt a little bit all the time but the treadmill aggravated it. The Dr basically told me the treadmill is hard on joints and she recommends the elliptical instead. I do much better on that! She also found that the side that hurt was about an inch shorter (the leg) and that affected my gait. I would try something else like the elliptical and maybe see the Dr to make sure you measure up. I cant really tell, I do know my gait is off but I had no idea that was the reason why
Naysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 354/354/200

Height: 5'10"

This happens to me too. I visit the chiropractor frequently and it really helps to have my lower back adjusted. Hope this helps.
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Have you checked your shoes? Maybe the support and cushioning is not doing what it's supposed to do... If the problem persists def see your Doctor.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:06 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Have you checked your shoes? Maybe the support and cushioning is not doing what it's supposed to do... If the problem persists def see your Doctor.
I have really good shoes, picked out for me at the running store... but on the other hand, I was almost 70 pounds heavier when I bought them...I only wear them for walking/running, so I don't think they're worn out, but I did notice that my left (smaller) foot seems to slide a little in my shoe and that's the side that hurts. I know people say your feet get smaller with weight loss, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Is treadmill harder on joints than walking/running outside? Of course it being January, that's not an option for me right now...

I'm not crazy about the elliptical because contrary to what most people say, it hurts my knees.

Hip still sore this morning, but not too bad. Guess I'll swim today instead.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Why don't you try no incline? Also, after warming up, do a nice stretch for the hips before the treadmill. Stand with left foot crossed over the right, both feet flat on the ground. Lean to the ride side letting your right arm slide down your right leg. You should feel that in your hip. Do the opposite side.

I have problems with my hips/lower back from a car accident in July, and have found that stretch really good. I love the treadmill but find it aggrevates my lower back/hip too - so I do no incline, don't run but fast-walk, and do that stretch. Seems to be okay.

HTH!
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 183/173/135

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post

Is treadmill harder on joints than walking/running outside? Of course it being January, that's not an option for me right now...

I'm not crazy about the elliptical because contrary to what most people say, it hurts my knees.

Yes my doc said to walk outside, not on the sidewalk but on the asphalt (road) to protect joints. I thought that was kinda odd, but all the running trails around here are made of it so I guess there must be something to it. I also noticed that people that jog in my neighborhood are on the asphalt, close to the curb.
Naysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naysmom View Post
Yes my doc said to walk outside, not on the sidewalk but on the asphalt (road) to protect joints. I thought that was kinda odd, but all the running trails around here are made of it so I guess there must be something to it. I also noticed that people that jog in my neighborhood are on the asphalt, close to the curb.
That can actually cause the problem, because usually if you're not in the middle of the road, you're on a slant, at least around here. Just something to consider.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #9  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

I had a problem with hip pain when I used the incline feature.
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathydoe View Post
I had a problem with hip pain when I used the incline feature.
Hmm... that's interesting.

Clearly the big diff for me was that before my cardiovascular conditioning was so punky that my heart/lungs would give out way before anything else.

Now, I can walk faster, do incline, run, etc. and I've never used an incline higher than 3% until recently. I'm not sure if it's the increased walk speed, the incline, or something weird about how I adapt my gait to the treadmill.

Could anyone suggest how to figure out the optimum speed for walking and or jogging?
Old 12-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

My physical therapist recommends never going lower than 1-2% incline on the treadmill. This is because your stride is different when the ground is moving underneath you and can cause your hips and pelvis to move at an awkward angle.

Also, calibration is not perfect. Outside you probably speedup and slowdown frequently. The constant pace can be hard. Try for awhile pushing a button every lap. A little faster a little slower a little more incline a little less...etc.

Many people have to go slower on the TM than outside. Start slow and go from there.

Ellipticals kill my knees also, although the Xtrainer style with its shorter stride seems to be ok.

Last edited by ennay; 12-31-2009 at 02:32 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:12 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
I have really good shoes, picked out for me at the running store... but on the other hand, I was almost 70 pounds heavier when I bought them...I only wear them for walking/running, so I don't think they're worn out, but I did notice that my left (smaller) foot seems to slide a little in my shoe and that's the side that hurts. I know people say your feet get smaller with weight loss, so maybe that has something to do with it.

If you've lost 70 lbs in the last year, you don't say how long it's taken you to lose, and you were walking every day, you may definitely need a new pair, specially if your foot is loose in the shoe... I replace mine every year... The treadmill should be easier on joints because it's not as hard as cement or ashphalt.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:12 PM   #13  

Height: 6'2

I personally find running on the treadmill worse then running outside. It hurts my knees and hips, but running at the park I had no problems and was able to run every other day. Once on the treadmill took me out for 3 weeks.

Just remember most running shoes need to be replaced around 500 miles.
luvtolose728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Running on the treadmill is completely different to running outside for me. Treadmill running is much easier on my body...almost feels like a lazy workout lol. I usually have the speed at 12.5 kmph as a baseline with intervals up to 16.1kmph (thats unfortunately as high as my gyms treadmills go).

My general pace outdoors is around 12-13kmph as well but it involves a lot more mixed terrain, inclines etc. My body has to adapt to conditions which involves my core far more than on a treadmill. Especially when I go up and around the mountain.

I haven't had any problems with my hips at all so unfortunately I cant help you there. I used to get very tight calves on the treadmill though - that turned out to be a shoe issue. Got some good shoes fitted for my feet (Asics Gel Kayano) and haven't had a problem since.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
If you've lost 70 lbs in the last year, you don't say how long it's taken you to lose, and you were walking every day, you may definitely need a new pair, specially if your foot is loose in the shoe... I replace mine every year... The treadmill should be easier on joints because it's not as hard as cement or ashphalt.
I got my shoes in June, the same time I started weight loss, but I don't wear them very often. Just for walking, but my main form of exercise is swimming.

A bit of googling and it looks my pain isn't really in my hip-- it's on the outside of my hip/thigh, and apparently "hip pain" is felt in the groin...

Last edited by ubergirl; 01-01-2010 at 09:48 AM.