Old 12-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 292/T/160

Height: 5'8"

Red face Exercise Question

How did you get started with an exercise you enjoy? This has been the hardest piece of the puzzle for me. I drink over a gallon of water a day and am very good at staying in my caloric range. However, exercise is so difficult for me.

When I started, I forced myself to walk on my treadmill. It lasted about 6 weeks and I was even up to the point of jogging. I hated it the entire time though. I kept waiting for that epiphany that I hear people talk of where they fall in love with or crave it. But, it never happened.

Then I got the Wii Active game. I did it for almost a month, but I find it difficult to do when my children are awake and part of me didn't feel like it was doing much.

So, what activity got you hooked on exercise? I really enjoy swimming, but that is impractical for my life right now.

I would really appreciate any suggestions on what you started off doing or things you told yourself.

Thank you!

Last edited by Momto2Ms; 12-28-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Momto2Ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Is there ANY WAY to reconfigure your life so that swimming becomes practical?

I thought it was impractical for me too (four kids... youngest is 4.... a part-time job outside the home, and a work at home job)

I finally realized that I could lap swim at my local Y from 9 to 10 pm. If there is mom stuff to be done after that, I've made it clear that I'm SIMPLY NOT AVAILABLE (this was a hard shift for me, as i'm a "put yourself laster")

The reason I love swimming is that nothing hurts, and it puts me more on an even playing field with people who are a lot slimmer--because I don't have the huge handicap of dragging my weight around. I get a great workout without ever getting that sore fat draggy feeling.

On the other hand, you may not have access to a pool and that's a different story.

PS. I hate treadmills. I have a really nice one in my basement, and I only get on it when I get trapped and can't get to the pool-- I get bored and frustrated and it makes my hips hurt.

I know other ladies here have great at home routines and one of those might work better for you.

Good luck.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #3  
since 10/23/07

S/C/G: 286/ticker/136

Height: 5'5"

I am NOT an exercise person either. I've gone from hating it to toleration, but that's it.

I have a bunch of workout DVDs I use ... at home, no gym required.

I have worked my way through Power 90, Jillians 30 day shred, and now am into Power 90 master series. Next rotation will be something with Jari Love.

I plan my workouts about 3 months in advance. It helps to have a schedule I can look at and stick to. I also plan in off days, days for just yoga or pilates, etc. Having the schedule keeps it in the forefront of my activities and keeps me on task. It's like a mini-goal for me to complete these rotations. Each one gets harder -- I still only tolerate the workouts -- but my weight loss creeps or stalls unless I get the exercise in.

Judging from your post, it looks like you have that same boredom if you don't mix things up. It takes about 3 months for me to get sick of a particular set of exercise DVDs so I move on after that. Maybe in a year or two I will revisit those routines with more weights. I keep a good plan and good rotation mix so I don't get that boredom.

Last edited by jay41; 12-28-2009 at 01:23 PM.
jay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #4  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I'll say up front that I love going to the gym and using the (gawk) treadmill, ha!

when I first started, I hated doing anything (started with marching in place and walking). as I could do more, and got into better shape, that's when I started to like it. when I first went to the gym, I really had no stamina.

maybe just increasing your activity level in general, and walking outside with the kids, someplace scenic. taking stairs. standing instead of sitting. you'd be surprised how that can add up over time.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:55 PM   #5  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I'm another treadmill lover I had to try a bunch of things (and still try new workouts all the time) to find what I liked. Running just happens to be it for me!
I have 3 kids and get up and do my run before they wake up. If I could find time I would be in a kickboxing or pole dancing class though :P

I agree with dragonwoman....just try being more active and go from there!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

For me, what helps is great music. I do my workout and visualize myself doing things like dancing at a club and looking smokin' hot! Yes, it's nerdy of me, but it gets the job done. I also like to do high intensity interval training. You can Google it. The nice thing about doing that is that in 20 or 30 minutes, you get the same benefits of 1 hour. I also try to take classes because I end up feeling stupid leaving in the middle so I know I will end up doing it. Do I love to work out? Heck no! Do I love what it does for my body: heck yeah!

It does get better as time goes on and I lose more weight. It really does.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It doesn't matter whether you like it or not--it's something one has to do. Like brushing your teeth! Who likes that? But that's not the issue. The issue is health and supporting your weight loss.

If you like walking, why not try going for walks outside or at an indoor mall?

Can you watch TV while you're on the treadmill? That can help. So can having music to listen to.

I got myself a gym membership, and I found that having a variety of machines to use really helped. I also learned some weight training. A gym membership doesn't have to be really expensive, and besides, the amount formerly spent on fast food and junk food in a month can totally pay for it.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #8  
19Deltawifey

The gym is getting a little boring for me also, so Im trying to get back into rollerblading and take my puppy with me. I cant wait to move to Colorado since they have a lot of outdoor activity
Old 12-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #9  

Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond.

My biggest hurdles are my schedule (I work full time, plus teach a couple classes a community college, and have gone back to school myself) and having small children. And my husband travels a good bit with his job (so again the babies). But, the more I thought about it, the more I realized those are excuses. I called the YMCA yesterday to join, so we'll see how it goes.

Thank you all for your support!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #10  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I really enjoy spin class. I'm not doing it much anymore because I'm doing the P90X and Insanity programs, but spin class is a lot more fun than the treadmill. If your Y has classes I'd check it out.

I used to hate running too, and some days I still really hate it, but others I love it. I never thought I'd become one of those exercise junkies, but to be honest, I kind of have. Go figure! Truth is I *have* to work out hard to see results, so I guess I just learned to embrace the inevitable.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
I really enjoy spin class. I'm not doing it much anymore because I'm doing the P90X and Insanity programs, but spin class is a lot more fun than the treadmill. If your Y has classes I'd check it out.

I used to hate running too, and some days I still really hate it, but others I love it. I never thought I'd become one of those exercise junkies, but to be honest, I kind of have. Go figure! Truth is I *have* to work out hard to see results, so I guess I just learned to embrace the inevitable.
Caroline (since you live in Knoxville), I live out in Gibbs, so I am going to be using the Y in Halls and Downtown. I think that I am going to start off with an aqua aerobics class and then the Y Downtown has several Yoga classes I think I am going to try.

I used to be very active (when I was younger I played softball and volleyball) and I enjoyed it. I think it is just a matter of finding something I enjoy and look foward to doing.

Last edited by Momto2Ms; 12-30-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #12  

I wouldn't say I'm hooked on any exercise, but I found this past year that I really enjoy bike riding. I do a lot more work without feeling like I'm working because I'm having fun. Plus, there are down hill breaks. We have a pull behind trailer that we use to pull our 2 year old. She loves it.

I also find that I'm less bored if I'm listening to watching something interesting. I listen to podcasts. Music isn't distracting enough for me. I love This American Life, The Moth, FattoFit, and RadioLab.

When I'm at home, I use a mini trampoline or do videos. I like 30 day shred. I also have some of the wii games, including wii active, but I don't do them often.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #13  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2Ms View Post
Caroline (since you live in Knoxville), I live out in Gibbs, so I am going to be using the Y in Halls and Downtown. I think that I am going to start off with an aqua aerobics class and then the Y Downtown has several Yoga classes I think I am going to try.
I didn't even notice that you're local! I work at the library downtown, so I'm right around the corner from the Y. A bunch of my coworkers work out there and they all really like it. I live out west so I work out in my sister's home gym these days, but I used to work out at Fort Sanders West.

One thing I love about living here is all the great hiking, but I rarely have anyone to go with. If you ever decide you want to give some of the local trails a try, PM me.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
I didn't even notice that you're local! I work at the library downtown, so I'm right around the corner from the Y. A bunch of my coworkers work out there and they all really like it. I live out west so I work out in my sister's home gym these days, but I used to work out at Fort Sanders West.

One thing I love about living here is all the great hiking, but I rarely have anyone to go with. If you ever decide you want to give some of the local trails a try, PM me.
No way! I work from home, but the grant I work under is held in the UT Conference Center right beside the YMCA so I'm there all the time.

The only place I have ever hiked is House Mountain (it is pratically in my backyard). This spring I will PM you about it!

Are you from Knoxville originally?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #15  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2Ms View Post
The only place I have ever hiked is House Mountain (it is pratically in my backyard). This spring I will PM you about it!

Are you from Knoxville originally?
No, I'm from all over the place, but I've been in Knoxville going on 3 years now.

A coworker keeps talking about House Mountain and what a great hike it is. There are so many great trails around here, though, the possibilities are truly endless. I've got a friend in Kentucky who comes down when she can and we hike together, but that's not very often. I drug her out to Frozen Head last time she visited and the climb kicked her butt. It was a great workout, though!