Old 12-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #1  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Weighing at night..

So when I weighed myself I did it at night on tuesday of last week and I stepped on the scale this morning and was around 260. I know wight fluctuates through the day so I'm wondering does anyone weigh themselves just at night instead of first thing in the morning? Or should I just go by what the scale said this morning and use that for a starting weight? Ive already changed my eating habits starting last week
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #2  

I went to WW meetings at night when I lived in Ohio - and ate my dinner before I went. As long as you weigh at the same time every week, it doesn't matter. But weighing at night and then next weighing in the morning doesn't work.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I usually weigh first thing in the morning, and last thing at night (but I only record the morning weigh-in).

It may sound obsessive, but I find that if I weigh before going to bed, it keeps me from getting up in the middle of the night to snack, if I wake up hungry (because I want to see a loss in the morning, not a gain from that last weigh-in).

A lot of people advice to only weigh weekly so that you're not upset by normal fluctuations.

(At least for myself), I have an opposing theory - weigh frequently so that you become familiar with and understand (and therefore are not upset by)
normal fluctuations.

Do whatever works best for you (but only compare weights taken under similar circumstances).

Last edited by kaplods; 12-28-2009 at 12:15 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I don't think it matters when you weight yourself as long as it's consistently at the same time of day (for recording purposes--I step on the scale more often like Kaplods.)
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I sometimes do. I almost always weigh more than I did in the morning, and I always lose 1-2 pounds overnight. If at night I weigh the same or close to what I did in the morning, I know I'll be low in the morning. I don't record it, it's just curiosity.

On the one hand, I think it's a good idea, for a little while, to weigh at different times just to learn how it varies. Keeps you from freaking out. On the other hand, it's so easy to get addicted to weighing multiple times a day that I don't think I could really recommend trying it.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 12-28-2009 at 12:42 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #6  

I think it really doesn't matter as long as it is consistent and with the same amount of clothing such as with/without shoes.
jeanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #7  

You will get more fluctuation at night than in the morning based on what you eat during the day. If you always weigh yourself right before bed, that will be the most consistent time for night weighing as anything that is going into your body has gone in by then. Consuming meals with varying amounts of liquids will cause more variation. Most of the fluctuation in weight is from water anyway, so weighing in the morning seems to even that out pretty well after the morning pee.

I weigh all sorts of times of day, but the meaningful times are first thing in the morning, and when I get home from work before but dinner (and only if I have come straight ome from work). The after work time is really consistent because I eat almost exactly the same thing/amount for breakfast and lunch for long stretches of days.
Tarisaande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarisaande View Post
You will get more fluctuation at night than in the morning based on what you eat during the day. If you always weigh yourself right before bed, that will be the most consistent time for night weighing as anything that is going into your body has gone in by then. Consuming meals with varying amounts of liquids will cause more variation. Most of the fluctuation in weight is from water anyway, so weighing in the morning seems to even that out pretty well after the morning pee.

This isn't necessarily true for everyone. Different folks have different circadian rhythms, different eating, drinking, and bladder/bowel patterns. There can be quite a bit of variation.

I have IBS, which means my bladder/bowel patterns are very inconsistent. And I'm also prone to water-retention (which tends to be most noticeable in the morning weigh-in).

For me, a mid-day weigh-in (just before lunch) is the most consistent. There's more variation in the morning and evening weigh-ins, but a mid-day weigh-in isn't always convenient, so I just deal with the fact that my morning weigh-in isn't the best measure, but it's the most convenient one to take - and the most convenient to document (I forget to write down evening weigh-ins).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #9  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

thanks everyone! I think Im just gonna restart my weigh ins tomorrow morning and go from there
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote