Old 12-26-2009, 03:46 AM   #1  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Default Bugger the resolutions!

I've given up on making New Year's resolutions because it's the same stuff: lose weight, get fit, blah blah blah. I do it every year and every year goes by without me having done a damn bit of it because resolutions come with such a heavy workload. We all know how hard it is to lose weight and get fit because there are so many little "sub-resolutions" that we need to identify first.

So, I'm coming up with smaller, more attainable goals for the year. They're like resolutions, but not; they're more behavioural changes and (in my case) more adventurous.

1- go tramping at least once a month. There are so many tramping and walking tracks here in New Zealand that I've narrowed it down to 12; one for each month. All of them are over 3 hours worth of tramping and only one (far North Island in Kaitaia) is away from where I'm living.

2- track myself better. I'm okay with writing down what I eat and how long I exercise for, but I want to keep better track of it to find out where those extra calories might be coming from. That includes my exercise, my food diary and my binge diary.

3- replace coke with water. I'm a Diet Coke junkie; I admit that I love the stuff enough that our recycle bin is filled with Diet Coke bottles and cans. I'm going to replace one glass of Diet Coke with a glass of water until I'm only drinking two "normal" glasses of Diet Coke per day (one at lunch and one at dinner).

4- write a list of what I need at the market and plan my meals out for the week. I figure this will save me money and keep me on track better. Subsection A: plant fresh herbs and eat out of the garden more since DH is an avid (and very good) gardener.

5- treat myself as my best friend, not my worst enemy. I sabotage myself through negative self-talk (though I feel that I'm getting better as time goes by). I will speak to myself as though I am my best friend- with respect, love and admiration rather than hate and loathing.

I do want to lose the last 20kg this year before I go back home to the States for a visit- it's only a pound/450 grams per week.

Anyone want to share their goals for 2010?
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I think your list is awesome and very attainable! I bet you'll have no problem accomplishing them all
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #3  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

I'm with you! I'm going to make up my own list of small things that will lead to big change, but I'm not going to try and do them all at once. I especially like number 5, I do that to myself too and I don't know why.
Bigknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #4  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

Here, here for treating yourself with love and respect! I would never talk to my sister or my best friend the way I talk to myself sometimes.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #5  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

I love your goals! Treating yourself as you would a loved one is great!

My goals:
1) Reintroduce treats once a month. I avoided them for a couple of months and then mini-binged over Christmas. I think allowing myself one good treat per month is good.

2) Make more workouts running (4/week). I want to slowly build up so I can run another marathon (I ran one 8 years ago).

3) Find some "healthy" foods my kids will eat that I can eat too, so I don't have to cook 2 different meals every night.

4) Make my recent good eating habits stick all year.

Last edited by AFChick; 12-31-2009 at 02:33 PM.
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote