Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Default healthier croutons ?

croutons on my salad is one of the things that's been hard to give up. Does anyone make homemade healthy croutons? I was thinking if I could cube and toast my Ezekiel bread to make them like croutons.. but not sure what else I would need to do. Recipes online say to toss with a bunch of oil., could I use something else lower calorie and what kind of seasonings would be good? TIA
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/233.2/145

Height: 5'4

any kind of good healthy bread you can use.I like to lightly season with dry ranch mix then spray lightly with pam and bake. they are really tasty. also the spray on itallian dressing is good too just spritz the bread cubes and bake..
whip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #3  
Moderation Maven

I made a post once about how I make healthy croutons, but since this is my first post it isn't letting me post it.

Basically I use a Misto to lightly coat some chopped-up baguettes in olive oil, then I bake them, with a dash of garlic salt. Yum! I'm eating some right now, on my salad, as I write this. You can get whole-grain or just regular white baguettes, and I slice mine into small squares. So yummy!
Hollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

What is about croutons that you miss? Something others have done is roast chickpeas until they are crunchy and add them to salads.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 400/400/180

Height: 5'5"

I have the same issue. Love the croutons!!! yum. Will try to make my own. The ranch ones above sound interesting.
Bridezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #6  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

A friend that I met in Junior High used to always crush up a package of crackers and put it on her salads. She always called it "Poor Man Croutons" I still do this sometimes. It adds a nice touch.
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #7  
♪♫ Katie ♫♪

S/C/G: 339/298(+/-)/180

Height: 5'3"

My dad's croutons are awesome.
Texas Toast(any healthier bread I'm sure would be great) with a few quick sprays of olive oil and some garlic powder and a tiny bit of salt if you want.
Bake those till golden brown. YUUMMMMMMMMM.
StargateAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Oriental rice crackers make nice croutons. So do chex cereal (or chex mix).

I add a teaspoon or two of oil in a large gallon ziploc bag and fill the bag half way with the chex cereal and shake then add seasoning (garlic powder, or ranch dressing powder) and shake again. They're not bad straight from the bag onto the salad, but usually I bake them at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes to get them toasty.

I even like a plain handful of chex cereal thrown into a salad or bowl of soup (though rice chex get soft faster than corn chex, especially in soup).

Last edited by kaplods; 12-24-2009 at 05:08 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 320/170/145

Height: 5'7

i always get the fat free ones from walmart, they're in a white ziplock bag and are a dollar and basically OK tasting... i have a problem with going over board, but these give the crunch without as much flavor (so i dont go too nuts). so you can add a decent amount and it feels like youre getting more.
nicollle is offline   Reply With Quote