View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 02:03 AM   #76
arumaru

"Fat Families Thin Families"

This book really spoke to me, because I feel like I was "raised to be fat". I'm not one of those people who was thin at one point and got pregnant, got married, aged, etc and gained weight. Losing weight to me means changing most of the lifestyle habits I was raised with, and having a new perspective on life. The book talks extensively about nutrition and exercise but it also denounces diets, gimmicky weight loss schemes and it talks a lot about the psychology of "fat families". Most families like this (including mine) are in denial about their habits, and how they are risking their children with diseases, conditions, depression and social stigma, because they refuse to accept the reality of their situation and change. This book inspired me to lose weight and to make sure that I don't raise my own (future) children the same way that my parents raised me.

I also want to read "Mindful Eating" and "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Total Nutrition". I think losing weight is mostly psychological, so I like to read books about the psychology of weight loss/health. I also want to learn more factual information about nutrition, because I admit that I am not that educated about it. Most diet/weight loss books are not worth the paper they are printed on. Most promote some kind of diet, product or gimmick. I actually think the diet industry in general helps people advance one step, only to go back two steps. A lot of people think it is impossible to lose weight because they've tried so many diets and have become so demoralized with them, failing one after another. I also think this trend of books with titles like "Skinny B*tches and How to Be Like Them" and "What Skinny Woman Know That You Don't Know" are very aggravating. I have thin friends who have been thin all their lives, and most of them dislike being called skinny constantly. The women who write those books try very hard to be skinny, and are very self-righteous and condescending about it. I also dislike Oprah/Dr Phil type of books... it's complete nonsense to me. I don't like being talked down to when I read books.
arumaru is offline   Reply With Quote