Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/123

Height: 5'5

Default Food Reviews Helpful?

I am just wondering something and I hope you guys will let me know what you think!

Would you ever read reviews of diet foods or participate by adding your own on to the other reviews to help people know if certain foods are worth buying or not? There is a lot of bad diet food (read: not tasty) out there, and then there are some gems. I am just wondering about this.

Thanks in advance for the input!
bethanygm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I don't use "diet" foods (reduced fat, sweeteners, etc.), but there's plenty of healthy foods I'd read/comment on.

I think all you have to do is go ahead and post. That's what this subforum is for I think.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I agree about using "diet" foods but have some "cheats." I usually try to search 3FC--chances are someone has discussed the item here. Otherwise, start a thread and you will get some opinions for certain. So yes, I do read reviews. I would offer my opinion if it was easy on a website--not if I have to sign-up to leave my opinion.

Also, Hungry Girl does offer some advice on newish products. Many times I have found her website to be spot on.

Favorite "diet" find lately is probably still Arctic Zero Ice cream--made from whey protein and less than 130 calories for the full pint.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 12-21-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I really like The HungryGirl website, but I also don't use very many diet products anymore (except for diet soda and sometimes sugar free popsicles or jello).

As for healthy foods I do want to try - I do check online for reviews. For example, I've been looking into non-wheat flours - so I checked amazon.com (just to name a few quinoa, amaranth, fava bean flours). I read the reviews.

When I see a new fruit at the oriental market, unless it's pretty cheap - I'll google the fruit name and learn what I can (and usually there's someone who has described the flavor/texture enough for me to consider) before buying.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/123

Height: 5'5

Are there any other cool sites like hungrygirl and 3 fat chicks that you guys like? I am info hungry, I guess.
bethanygm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

If I'm thinking of trying a specific new diet/health food I just google it with the word "review," and usually a few people have written about it on their blogs and whatnot.

Or, if it's sold on Amazon (which almost everything is these days) you can find reviews there. In fact, if you go to their Gourmet Food page, there are links on the lefthand side to low-fat, low-carb, etc. Maybe that will be useful.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

When I find a new food I always type in the word "Blog" with the name of the product. Usually I find really in depth reviews and pictures of the food out of the box. I do this all the time. I am not fond of most diet foods, but I have tried a few really yummy ones recently. Arctic Zero, Vitatops.. the normal stuff I've seen on hungry girl. However, I usually like to avoid unnatural sugars like the ones found on diet soda & also stevia because they give me mild headaches. Usually looking up a product like this will lead you to many blogs with reviews.
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote