Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 11:07 PM   #1  
Slowly going crazy!

Default I need to CHEW something...

So here's an update...
total lost so far is 16 pounds...give or take one or two for water retention...*LOL*...

I need to chew. It's so hard being on the liquid diet. I'm chewing sugar free gum for the 'sensation' right now.

I've gotten the hiccups a lot. If I drink something to fast there I go 'hiccuping'. At first I was worried, but now I know how to get rid of them. (just hold my breath).

My belly is swollen only on one side. (where my port is) Dh says it looks like it did when I was preggers and the baby would lay just on one side of my belly. It's kinda noticible, but oh well.

Christmas was hard...nummy food. But I was soo good! ! !

I can't wait to eat real food again. I hate thinking about it, because then I want it. If I didn't have to cook meals, I think it would be better.

Already some people are showing strange signs regarding my surgery:
~Close Friends haven't called to see how I am doing
~My dad has informed my children (ages 9, 6 and 4) that mommy's surgery was a mistake.
~Online friends want all the info, and then when they get it, the tell me I'm bragging and need to stop.
~My good skinny friend is the most supportive I have had so far! ! !
~My mom continues to starve herself to prove she doesn't need WLS to lose the weight.
~My dh is enamored and more in love with me.

So, there are good and bad. I think the true friends will be there for the long haul.

If anyone asks if this is the easy way out...I'm gonna knock them upside the head. It's so hard...and It's a forced lifestyle commitment. I don't think that is easy at all...but the rewards will be great.

So...there's my update...whohoo! ! !
Old 12-27-2002, 11:11 AM   #2  

You are doing great Amy!! And I knowwww what you mean about needing to chew something. I went through that too. I was chewing gum and even worse, I would chew some carrot, then spit it out.. LOL

Some of your observations that you have noticed I went through as well. My best friend in the whole world is a skinny twig and next to my husband she has been the most supportive person in the world. My good friend who is heavy, is tired of hearing about it.. Oh well, what ya gonna do.

Keep it up!!
Old 12-27-2002, 11:45 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

amy: you're doing GREAT, and what's even better, you're recognizing that the reactions of others are THEIR problems and issues, and not yours. keep your serenity!!!

as for the chewing gum, some people tell us not to because of the risk of swallowing it and having it get stuck!!! YUCK!!!! not a pretty picture. would SF candies help?

i have the greatest admiration for people who have this surgery and are still responsible for food prep for their families. i don't know how you all do it!! i'm not married, and i have no children, so i've managed to avoid this. and frankly, i have absolutely no interest in being that involved with my food.

and lots of people do that 'chew and spit' thing when the food temptation gets too much.

keep up the the GREAT work!!!!!
Old 12-27-2002, 04:53 PM   #4  

It's interesting how people react. My two youngest boys have been supportive but my oldest is doing the "I don't understand this..." thing. I've tried to explain it to him but he keeps acting like I'm not explaining it correctly. I'm not going on the defensive about it. Tough toodies.

Anyway, Amy, I think you are doing great! Thanks for posting about the ups and downs of it!
Closed Thread