Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5.5"

Unhappy Things aren't the same

Prior to surgery there were several places that I enjoyed going to eat at. Now post surgery I can't seem to find things I want to eat. Those once favorites just aren't the same.

Why is that?? Could it be that I was use to eating large portions and now that the portions is small I'm just not into it?

I'm still not hungry very often, still having issues with drinking water but other than that my weightloss is going steady.

mgf~
MyGirlFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Tastes can change after surgery. Also, if you had to do any kind of low carb or liquid diet, that can mess with your tastes, too. I know even before I ever had surgery, if I was doing well on a strict low-carb diet for an extended amount of time (months), and then I tried to eat some junk as a "treat," it just wasn't the same, and sometimes was even gross to me.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:21 AM   #3  
Call me Finki =)

S/C/G: 400/300/155

Height: 5'6"

Hello! Surgery? Sorry mygirlfriday. I have not been around very much, and I am just (ASSUMING) it's WLS you are talking about? If so, I HIGHLY recommend you check out this site.
http://www.livingafterwls.com/index.html
I am 6 years post-op and this site has saved me the last few months.
Gelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #4  

How long ago did you have your surgery?
SilverShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 340/165/150

Height: 5'5

I know personally, my tastes changed after surgery. For a long time, I needed everything to be salty...then I wanted strange food I never enjoyed before....I am not sure when your surgery took place, but try to be patient with yourself. If you are a longer term post op than we think, view this as a new challenge, not as a problem. Find what NEW foods you enjoy and start keeping track of them. If the "same old places" no longer do it for you, branch out..try new restaurants. When you are at the grocery store, make a point to buy at least ONE new food every time. I do this every time I go to the farmers market as well. One new fruit or veggie, or natural product.

Hang in there hon. You have almost lost 40 lbs!! You are making big strides...keep going!

Kat
Katarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

this happened to me, I can no longer stand anything sweet, not just sugar, but even fake sugar sweet.
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #7  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Things I liked before surgery look just awful now (donuts just look painful!) and I get excited about fresh Fruit!hehehe Strange but true.

I have craved things that are very salty since surgery. It has changed a bit over the last year or so but still my tastes have change dramaticly.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 12-20-2009 at 07:53 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

MGF :hugs: sounds like you're having a wee bit of mourning? lots of people go through that. and it IS very strange to look at things that you only recently enjoyed and get grossed out by them.

So, my suggestion is to just go with it. find some new favorites - strange as it may sound, this is truly a time for you to develop a new relationship with food - one that's healthier and happier for you. and only YOU can choose what that looks like.

As you heal from the surgery, and get into the journey, things will change DAILY, and sometimes even from meal to meal. just focus on the NOW, and on making choices that work for you NOW, and do it again tomorrow.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #9  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

hubby is having the same issue... he does not enjoy going out like he used to. it's about the foods he can't have and the portions he misses. we take a lot of food home with us.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote