Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 02:09 AM   #1  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Default How Do I......

Hello Everyone!

The new year is right around the corner, and it is my plan to start yet again, to lose this weight and improve my health. My anticipated start date is 1/2/03. (My husband's vacation time will be over, and we will have returned to our normal routines, which seems to be an easier situation for me to start.)

My question to you all is this ~ how do I make the things I do to achieve the weight loss a change for life ~ something I can do for the rest of my life ~ not just a temporary situation.

That seems to be where I am failing. I know what I need to do, and have succeded in doing it for a while, but then eventually fall back into old patterns and ways of thinking.

I began my journey in the fall of 1999. Joined this site early in 2000. By the summer of 2000, I had lost 40 pounds, (I was almost half way there and blew it ~ how stupid) then went on vacation, and have never been able to get my original drive back. I have started over again many times, and been yo-yoing ever since, and by now, have gained back all I lost.

I am disgusted with myself too, because I am a nurse, and I know the health risks of not losing this weight (I have high blood pressure). But this knowledge still does not make me do what I know I need to do.

How do I find a realistic way to eat? I think it is unrealistic to think that I will never have another cookie, or cake or icecream. I am lost as to how to not deny myself these things ~ be able to have them once in a while, without letting it turn into a big binge.

Sorry this is so long. I appreciate being able to share here and for any help or suggestions anyone may have.

Thank you all for listening.

Take care ~ glynne
Old 12-27-2002, 06:22 PM   #2  
hot mom wanna be!

Hi!
We have all lost weight and then gained it all back and then some. Dont beat yourself too much over that one. The only thing I can recommend is find your calorie range where you arent starving yet losing at the same time. People who are normal weight and stay that way seem to know instinctively how much to eat to maintain their current weight. When I started losing weight in Jan 2001 (two years now!!) I would eat 2000 calories a day and still lose easily. I lost 30 pounds and then kept it off a long time before trying to lose more. Then I lost ten more then kept it off, etc... to get to my current 76 pounds gone!! It's not the fastest weight loss in the world but atleast I didnt starve then gain it all back right away like I have done before!!
I would say try 1800 calories a day if you dont have a lot to lose. If you do, then try 2000! Believe it or not that is cutting back on calories for a lot of us. If you kept track of what you eat on a normal day and were honest you'd be suprised how many calories you have to eat to maintain your weight!!
best wishes and let us know how you are doing!!
laura
313/236/160
36 to go to get to 200!!
Old 12-30-2002, 10:00 AM   #3  

*HUGS*

I am right there with you. I've gained back so much. I am terrified to step on the scale.

I am starting all over again. I never wantt o regain again! I am very dissapointed with myself too. But it's not gonna get me nowhere. It's a New Year..and am not giving up yet.

I wish I had the answers

Old 12-30-2002, 10:06 AM   #4  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

How do we do this for life?

Easy - you never quit. Sure we take a break once in a while... but no matter what - NEVER QUIT. I know that I can pig out - but that I will always come back here.
Closed Thread