View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #19
Jilu
Looking for Zen

S/C/G: 315/267/180

Height: 5' 10"

Someone mentioned Angel Food Ministries (google them). They do participate in food stamp programs, and host sites are all over the country in urban and rural communities.

They helped me and my husband immensely when we were both in college and afterwards with struggling to pay off student loan debt.

The Signature boxes they do include enough food to feed 4 people for a week including meat and sides (note sometimes they include fish sticks or chicken nuggets). They also have fruit and vegetable boxes that you can buy or meat or poultry boxes. We were able to stretch out a box pretty far (seriously, it's hard for me to eat soup to this day).

Currently for $22 you get 3 lbs of sweet potatoes, 4 russet potatoes, 2 lbs of yellow onion, 1 head of cabbage, a pound of carrots, celery, 4 lemons, 6 oranges, 4 grapefruit, a mango, an avocado, and a lb of kiwi.

I don't mean to sound like an Angel Food Ministries commercial, but they really were helpful to us during a harder time. I volunteer at a local host site when I can and buy boxes for local shelters.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that there's no requirements or qualifications; anyone of any income can purchase a box.

Last edited by Jilu : 12-20-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Jilu is offline   Reply With Quote