Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #1  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Default (Aspiring)Runners/Joggers Winter Apparel

I apologise to the mods if this should be in another subforum. Please feel free to move it if necessary.

In April I started the C25K program and I worked my way through that all the up to running 10K on my own at the beginning of November. Then I had a foot operation and now for the last 3 weeks I've had mysterious acute lower back pain out of nowhere but I'm *nearly* fixed up again

That said, I got through spring/summer/autumn with the apparel I had already, and I bought new shoes end of May so those are still good, but I have no idea what to WEAR in the winter to run in! I only run outside - I have no treadmill at home (and no plans on getting one) and I have no gym membership due to timing/money issues.

So can anyone give me some examples of what I would need minimally to get out there again and run? I'm guessing a hat, some gloves maybe? Do I wear a scarf? What about the type of material the clothes should be? Are there any mid-priced online places out there that deliver internationally? Or at least online where I can get examples of what I could look for here?

I'm clueless and I don't want to get sick or something because i'm not well-protected. I so appreciate any help I can get in this area!

TIA!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

UnderArmour if you're somewhere really cold. Otherwise, just wear a long-sleeve shirt/sweatshirt (that you can take off) with running pants. It's just you get so hot while running that it doesn't really matter what you wear. I've seen people wearing gloves/scarves, but you'll get so warm...quickly. Just dress like you are in fall.
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #3  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

How cold does it get in the Netherlands? As a general rule, I've found (and thanks to the advice from other wonderful running ladies) to dress cooler than you THINK you'll need to dress. I've over-dressed on occasion and even during races, and you warm up faster than you think you will. I would say generally (for me) after the first mile, I've warmed up adequately.

Let's see, my cold weather essentials: Nike dri-fit running tights, Under Armour headband to keep my ears warm (below 35 degrees), a moisture-wicking shirt, and a Nike dri-fit running jacket. I found the Nike stuff on Ebay - just search for Nike dri-fit and you'll see a lot of examples. I swear by the tights. They keep me so warm! If it is really cold, I will wear these under regular running pants.

hope this helps!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #4  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

dress like its at least 10-15 degrees warmer than it is!!! You will warm up REALLY fast, especially if you over dress. ANd if you get too hot, you will sweat too much, and then get wet UNDER your clothes, which = hypothermia.

Invest in running tights (doent matter what brand or anything- under armour makes some decent ones). WARM GLOVES are a MUST! NOT Cheapos!! I personally wear my ski gloves. If its below 20 deg F i will wear a light weight hat/beanie. If its warmer than 20 it just ends up making me too hot. NIX the scarf idea. Youre not gonna want that around your neck. Wear a misture wicking t-shirt or tank top or logn sleeved shirt (whichever you want) and a uber light, windproof, water resistant running jacket. If its a good jacket, it will keep you warm when its 10 degrees out, but also keep you cool enough when its 40 degrees out. Dont wear any cotton, if you are prone to sweating a lot. Only moisture wicking synthetics, like polyester. Dont forget your toes. Its totally alright to do wool socks if your feet get cold
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

YakTrax.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #6  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

thanks ladies, really appreciate the input.

Today is was 0 Celcius and we are heading for around -3 by Saturday/Sunday. So it's like 32 degrees right now with a chance of getting all the way down to about 12 this winter (if I were to convert to fahrenheit).
Old 12-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Good thread. I've been wondering the same things. Anyone know where to get plus size running tights? (I hate searching for plus size athletic wear. They assume we don't exercise or something)
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #8  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

I checked one site (Zombie?) and they didn't have my size if I checked the size/weight chart properly. I am still overweight, but not obese anymore with a BMI of 28.9. It's very frustrating!
Old 12-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #9  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

dumb question but the running tights you just wear? or do they go under pants like longjohns. Sorry for such a newbie question
Old 12-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #10  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

just checked under armour running tights. only go up to XL and according to their size chart I'm an XXL.

maybe this is going to be harder than I thought... or I'm just fatter than I'm seeing of myself
Old 12-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #11  

Well companies like that aren't too great at accomodating larger sizes. I just checked the Nike site and their chart says an XXL fits a size 20/22. Sounds great, I wear a 20. Then I looked at the measurments, I've got to lose about 8 inches to get into those things! fits a size 22 my a**.

And as far as the running tights, my sister just wears them. But I would wear shorts over them (if I can find any in my size) just because I don't want people to see my giant booty shaking all over the place
Old 12-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #12  

How about fashion leggings undert shorts, could that work for outdoor running?
Old 12-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #13  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

yeah, I was thinking there'd be a lot of advertising going on if I just wore the tights. But I don't own a pair of shorts at all. I *hate* wearing shorts.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 267/ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

so im no "runner" being a noob and all, but here in ohio its f-ing cold. I wear wen running: my "indoor" shorts under lightweight sweats that stay up good, knee high socks, a tank top, a long sleeve shirt, a light jacket, and a skull cap. I stay just warm enough, and if I were to get too hot I could take off the jacket I guess...
medinazarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I bought a set of pink silk thermal underwear for my base layer. I wear a fleece headband to cover my ears or a fleece hat and gloves when it's really cold. On top of my base layer I typically wear a long sleeved Nike shirt with wick away and long pants. A Nike running jacket over that. I am doing okay so far but would love some Gore-tex or Neoprene stuff.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote