Old 08-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #1  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Default Split peas

Okay, this isn't a recipe, it's a request for ideas. Is this the right place for it?

I bought a couple of large bags of split peas (can't resist a sale). One bag is green and one yellow. Anyone have ideas outside the usual split pea soup and dal?

thanks!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

oh man, I love split pea soup....although DH hates it with ham, so I make a vegan version that is awesome.

I've substituted split peas (both green and yellow) for lentils - they have a bit different flavor, but are still pretty good in most everything I've used them in - with one exception, lentil tacos. Let's just say that split pea tacos were not the hit I was expecting them to be....oh well, I guess that is what you get for not checking ingredients before promising a meal

I have a recipe for a lentil loaf that I sub split peas in for some or all of the lentils once in awhile. The family likes it and it is cheap cheap cheap to make.

Let me know if you're interested in the recipe.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #3  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I love split pea soup, or lentil soup with turkey bacon or turkey sausage. I put lemon in the lentil soup, yum, and a drop of balsamic vinegar into the split pea soup, 2nd yum. LOL
Belle Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
oh man, I love split pea soup....although DH hates it with ham, so I make a vegan version that is awesome.

I have a recipe for a lentil loaf that I sub split peas in for some or all of the lentils once in awhile. The family likes it and it is cheap cheap cheap to make.

Let me know if you're interested in the recipe.
I've gotten really good at meatless soups over the years. I even have a garlic broth soup that makes a great sub for chicken soup when we're sick in the winter.

I would love the loaf recipe! thanks
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
I've gotten really good at meatless soups over the years. I even have a garlic broth soup that makes a great sub for chicken soup when we're sick in the winter.

I would love the loaf recipe! thanks
1 cup dried lentils
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
3/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1 small onion, minced
1/2 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup fat free egg substitute or egg whites
1 t. ground cloves
2 t. thyme
1 T. reduced sodium soy sauce
6 oz. tomato sauce
1 T. olive oil
1 t. Tabasco sauce

1. Place lentils in a small saucepan and cover with water.
2. Cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
3. Coarsely mash lentils and combine with remaining ingredients (save 2 oz tomato sauce).
4. Pour mixture into a loaf pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
5. Pour remaining tomato sauce onto the top of the loaf.
6. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
7. Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes or until loaf is firm to the touch.

I always mess with the spices a little - feel free to play.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #6  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Copying and pasting and trying that recipe. Sounds like something I can get the hubby to eat even though it's meatless.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Not a big fan of green split peas, but I love the yellow. I usually do make either dal or an American style split pea soup -onion, carrot, celery, broth or stock, and the peas - usually in a crockpot (sometimes with a bit of smoked pork such as some smoky pork - such as a bit of ham, bacon or a smoked pork chop - a little really does go a long way).

If you add less water to either (or just cook the split peas with broth), you can make a really good side dish (about the consistency of mashed potatoes).

I've even made what amounts to "sloppy joes" by cooking yellow split peas in water or broth. I sautee chopped onion and green pepper until tender and then adding the cooked peas and bottled or homemade barbecue sauce or sloppy joe sauce (like Manwhich).

Last edited by kaplods; 12-17-2009 at 12:33 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote