General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/192/130

Height: 5' 5"

Default How do you pick a diet?

I'm a terrible dieter. And I do mean terrible. I've only lost weight twice (on purpose) in my entire overweight life. And even then the weight was very minimal.

Here's my dilemma. I have 7 children. I home school. I'm tired. I can't afford expensive meal plans. I have no time to do some of the traditional weight loss methods. I signed up for nutrisystem and I was able to lose some weight with that (about 15lbs), however, the food was nasty. N.A.S.T.Y. And expensive. I am principally opposed to paying that much for nasty food, lol.

Does any one have any suggestions for diets that are healthy and think-outside-(the typical)diet-box?

I have some ideas of some ideas of diets I'm thinking of doing, but I thought I'd just ask if anyone had "the perfect" diet for busy moms of 7 who have to cook and think about food constantly, lol.

Thanks,
Michelle
P31Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #2  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Wow, you home school 7 children? No wonder you are tired!

Here's a thought. Seeings you are cooking meals for everyone anyway, why not just plain and simple count calories? If your calories out are more than your calories in, you'll lose weight. And it won't cost you anything, since you have to eat anyway. In fact you may save money, because you'll be eating less!

Try that first. Then you can look at things like your macronutrient (protein, carb, fat) ratio, and increasing your exercise. But for now just focus on how much you eat.

You may be surprised.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Really, in the long run calorie counting is what is sustainable for most of us. Unless you have a health issue to be taken into account, of course. Then you work with that but even then you still have to watch your portions and calories.

Make what you normally make, measure out what a true portion is and then just stick with that.

We all know we should be eating lots of healthy green veggies, less fat, sodium and simple carbs (I'm talking about white flour and sugar).

I started off eating a low GI diet because my doctor wanted me to for my pre-diabetes. Now, I keep those concepts in the back of my head but it really comes down to portion control and calorie counting. I've lost weight and my numbers are normal. But, I still need to lose wt so this is working for me.

Best of luck to you. Don't hesitate to learn all that you can from this site. There are some amazing people here and they know what they're doing!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #4  

I've never been on a diet but I've followed WW since the 70's (and made goal back then) and made lifestyle changes that supported my desire to lose weight. You can eat anything you want as long as you get in your 9 Healthy Guidelines and stay withing your points. Your children deserve to eat healthy, too, so they are burdened with the problems of overweight in adulthood. Since you are home schooling, you could use this to teach them about good nutrition.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #5  

I started the medifast diet about a week ago, which I thought was the one!! Well now Im not so sure cause your right who wants to pay almost $300 a month to eat nasty powder food, plus why can I eat fruit, I love fruit? On medifast my calorie intake is between 800-1000 calories which yeah duh Im gonna lose I usually take in at least double that. I did learn a few good things in the last week like I feel much better not stuffing myself with crap, and lettuce has made almost every dish better without the bread or tortilla.
So Im thinking if I calorie count and continue to cut carbs I'll be well on my way. I think sometimes it's all a state of mind, I know when Im eating something I shouldnt and I make that choice. I chose to quit smoking almost a year ago and it was a success, now I choose to be healthy.
myryni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primm View Post
Wow, you home school 7 children? No wonder you are tired!

Here's a thought. Seeings you are cooking meals for everyone anyway, why not just plain and simple count calories? If your calories out are more than your calories in, you'll lose weight. And it won't cost you anything, since you have to eat anyway. In fact you may save money, because you'll be eating less!

Try that first. Then you can look at things like your macronutrient (protein, carb, fat) ratio, and increasing your exercise. But for now just focus on how much you eat.

You may be surprised.

This is actually one of my top "ideas", lol. I have a hard time counting calories because so I don't know how many servings come in most of my tried and true recipes, that the family eats (no one has a weight issue but me...in fact, one of my adopted children needs to gain weight....and one of my birth children needs to gain weight). So no calorie restriction for them!

I don't want to jump into my next diet. I'm trying to prepare myself and think this through because I'd like this to be my last "diet" for weight loss purposes.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewCreation View Post
Really, in the long run calorie counting is what is sustainable for most of us. Unless you have a health issue to be taken into account, of course. Then you work with that but even then you still have to watch your portions and calories.

Make what you normally make, measure out what a true portion is and then just stick with that.

We all know we should be eating lots of healthy green veggies, less fat, sodium and simple carbs (I'm talking about white flour and sugar).

I started off eating a low GI diet because my doctor wanted me to for my pre-diabetes. Now, I keep those concepts in the back of my head but it really comes down to portion control and calorie counting. I've lost weight and my numbers are normal. But, I still need to lose wt so this is working for me.

Best of luck to you. Don't hesitate to learn all that you can from this site. There are some amazing people here and they know what they're doing!
I need to mindful of the GI also for the same reason. I keep telling myself to measure out true portions, but I haven't actually given that a true attempt. I really need to do that! Thanks
Old 12-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen00 View Post
Dieting can make people ratty - choose a diet that doesn't make you "ratty." I follow the Atkins diet. This diet allows me to eat lots of eggs, meat, cheese, cream, and fish; I can't eat carbs, though.
I'm on Atkins (have been for almost 6 years) and I eat carbs....just curious why you think you can't
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
I've never been on a diet but I've followed WW since the 70's (and made goal back then) and made lifestyle changes that supported my desire to lose weight. You can eat anything you want as long as you get in your 9 Healthy Guidelines and stay withing your points. Your children deserve to eat healthy, too, so they are burdened with the problems of overweight in adulthood. Since you are home schooling, you could use this to teach them about good nutrition.
You are quite right My kids eat very healthy, other than the junk food they eat on Sundays. Unfortunately, I have 2 children that needs to gain weight...but my 13 year old son has always been skinny, so I think it's just the way he is. Anyhow, we all eat pretty healthy according to the food pyramid, lol. Lots of fruit, veggies and fish I'm the only one who is overweight in my home, and my weight issues started after I started having children.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #10  
19Deltawifey

Im using sparkpeople to track my calories so I don't have to write them down. I prefer counting calories over anyother diet plan. Ive tried several different diets and they usually charge money. You just gotta find which plan works for you. Good Luck
Old 12-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: Before:201 Now:178 Goal: 150

Height: 5'1

You could definitely do weight watchers at home, without having to pay to sign up for it. The materials are easily accessible online! Weight Watchers is just like calorie counting, only simplified. I'm pretty knowledgeable about doing weight watchers at home, so if you have any questions, please ask me! It's soo easy, the only hard part is sticking to it.
VarsityQuidditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #12  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

For me, counting calories has been ideal. If you don't know how many calories something is, just look it up online. I can usually find anything on a Google search. Then, you just have a serving or whatever your calories permit.

If you're making a salad, don't put dressing on yours (put some aside). If you can, have some veggie soup available in the fridge.

Can you do a P.E. class with the kids? You could go do laps around a field. Or, you could get a good workout dvd and see who can go the longest? Go for a hike? I know that's not "diet" stuff, but I think it might help as well.

Of course, it's a lot about what you eat. If your two kids need to gain weight, why not add seeds to their salads and give them almonds to snack on? You could have some too, but not with reckless abandon. Just portion it out.

I'm a huge fan of frozen grapes and I always have some ready in the freezer. They taste great and take a long time to eat.

You can always have baked chicken in the house, throw it on top of some salad greens and top with salsa. There, you have a great meal. You can also add some beans, but they can be caloric, so in moderation.

When stressed and tired and craving something, I always have gum. Since you're home, you could drink lots of different teas.

I hope you figure it out. You certainly have your hands full and you can be an inspiration to many one day!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 180/see ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

To me, what helps is to think of it as a lifestyle change, not a diet! I am concentrating on making my body strong and powerful, and yummy healthy food will help me, along with exercise! The longer I eat healthy, the more my tummy hurts when I eat junk. And I get full faster. That doesn't mean I didn't munch of some christmas caramel popcorn at the office today, though. Everything in moderation, including moderation! I am at 4 pounds lost today. It took me 2 weeks. I'm one of those people that take forever to lose weight, so I am not thinking about the weight, but improving my health.
Scorpio1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #14  

Default Just wanted to thank you all...

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and ideas on weight loss plans.

Most of you suggested what I was already thinking about...calorie counting or some form of it.

I think being at home with my kids and having to think about food constantly has made it hard for me because I lack self-control. I've got to start with that....dieting for me is 90% mental and only 10% food.

So right now, I'm considering just straight calorie counting....or trying the Lean Cuisine website which is a form of calorie counting really. Or some combination of both.

For anyone else looking, I LOVE that site! It is similar to e-diets and nutrisystem combined.

Thanks again. You are all very supportive and helpful. I've got to get into shape for myself and family!