Old 12-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9

Default I can tell this is going to be hard

Hi I am new here. My name is Vanessa. I was about to post my introduction when my mother-in-law called and asked me where she should mail our Christmas cookies that she gives as gifts every Christmas. We live in Oregon but are planning to travel to California for Christmas so she didn't know if she should mail them to California or Oregon. Anyway, I just can't resist those cookies. Here I am motivated to lose this weight and now this. I just have absolutely no will power for those cookies. Okay, that's my rant for the day. Now about me. I am 33 years old. I was a little bit on the big side before I had my children but really put on the pounds after they were born. I have two kids and having no more so I really want to start losing all this excess weight. I also wanted to say that I feel so glad that I found this site. To know that most of you can relate and are like me in many aspects is a good feeling.
vanessa761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #2  
TimeForAChange

S/C/G: 202/202/140

Height: 5'5"

I know how you feel about those cookies vanessa! I can't resist them either, & i don't! When i really, REALLY want something..i let myself have just one or with other foods..a small portion..just to satisfy my craving then i walk away.

Temptation is a big b*tch and it's part of our everyday lives. We have to learn to controll and live with it and i still do! lol Have fun on 3FC and i know you'll find some awesome support here! GOODLUCK!
HannahBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahBoo23 View Post
I know how you feel about those cookies vanessa! I can't resist them either, & i don't! When i really, REALLY want something..i let myself have just one or with other foods..a small portion..just to satisfy my craving then i walk away.

Temptation is a big b*tch and it's part of our everyday lives. We have to learn to controll and live with it and i still do! lol Have fun on 3FC and i know you'll find some awesome support here! GOODLUCK!
Hi and thanks! I don't know if I can eat just one. There are so yummy.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #4  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Is there any chance you could ask her not to send them? Or if they would hurt her feelings, can you take them to work or give them away to friends or neighbors? As heavenly as I bet they are and as hard as your mom worked on them, why torture yourself?

Welcome to 3FC!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post
Is there any chance you could ask her not to send them? Or if they would hurt her feelings, can you take them to work or give them away to friends or neighbors? As heavenly as I bet they are and as hard as your mom worked on them, why torture yourself?

Welcome to 3FC!
It's my husband's mom and he has been telling her for years not to send us any because he is concerned about his weight too but she still sends them. Thanks for you suggestions. I think I will just take a few pieces and give some to my family and although I don't like to waste, throw the rest away.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #6  

Height: 5'11"

Are they the kind of cookies that would freeze well? If so, maybe throw some in the freezer? Only do this if you are the kind of person who can ignore cookies in the freezer! ;-)
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
Are they the kind of cookies that would freeze well? If so, maybe throw some in the freezer? Only do this if you are the kind of person who can ignore cookies in the freezer! ;-)
If they are in the house it is hard to ignore them so I will try to give them away after taking a few for my family. Thanks.

Last edited by vanessa761; 12-05-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #8  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

I know how you feel...I have to throw things out...the only place I won't sneak them from is the trash can!

Good luck...sometimes it can be hard not to hurt the MIL's feelings...
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

I know if it were me I would snack on them all day so I agree, give them away. I of course would take out just one as a treat for myself lol

Last edited by lauralyn; 12-07-2009 at 06:58 AM.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #10  
TimeForAChange

S/C/G: 202/202/140

Height: 5'5"

Like with vanessa's cookies..my gma sends my family this awesome cheese and sausage gift box and there's like a bunch of different cheese's and meats and crackers. They are SOO yummy.. When i was little i would've pratically eaten the whole box to myself. I LOVE cheese..so i'm dreading the day we get the package..i need to find a distraction from the goodies.. i don't want to deprive my family from the treats b/c of me. So, i'll have to be strong.. lol
HannahBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #11  

I called my mom the other day and she told me that when we visit her during Christmas she is going to make me tamales, which are extremely fattening. I haven't had any of my family's homemade tamales in years and they are so yummyyyyyy If anyone knows about making tamales in a latino howme, you know that we make a lot at one time. Growing up we would eat them for days for breakfast, lunch, and dinner during Christmas and Thanksgiving. As much as I want some, I am going to tell her not to make any for me. They already made some during Thanksgiving, I wasn't there, so she said she would make some just for me when I visit.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 248/248/190

Height: 6 ft

Will power is only a part of the equation. It makes it much easier to have the will power if you make sure you are staying full with the right foods and at the right times. I have found that preperation in advance is key to success. I am trying to live by this: "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." I always spend sundays cooking meat and cutting up veggies to have throughout the week, and preportion into containers, so all I have to do is grab and go in the mornings. This makes it so much easier to stay on track.

Here is what I do:
morning:
2-3 eggs (the protein really helps curb your appetite until snacktime)

Snack 1:
1 mozzeralla stick and/or some fresh veggies. (depends on if I am feeling hungry or not, but I try to eat something for a snack).

Lunch:
A large salad and upto 2 cups of veggies (sometimes fresh, sometimes frozen) and 4-6 ounces of lean protein like chicken, or pork chop.

Snack 2:
Another Mozz stick and/or veggies.

Supper:
6-8 oz of protein, with alot of veggies and/or salad.
-love stir fry

Snack 3:
usually I will do a little peanut butter on a half of a low carb tortilla (these are usually around 7 carbs per tortilla.
peanut butter is chunky Jif. It does have alot of suger and carbs, but it is my one indulgence during the day, and I have heard that consuming carbs some carbs at night is better, because the normal cycle of eating carbs and craving more happens when you are sleeping, and by morning I am ready to hit the protein again. protein keeps you feeling full longer. I am going to try to incorporate a protein powder in my snack rotation to see how well that works, because I joined a gym and am planning on walking everyday.

Whatever you do, DO NOT consume carbs in the morning as this will cause the cravings to start up and last all day, killing your will power.
Also, get as much water as you can possibly take. I use crystal light, and drink about 80-100 oz of that per day to get in my H2O. This also helps with the will power and curbing cravings. It normally takes about 3-4 days of doing this type of low carb diet before you start to lose the cravings and the physical hunger pangs, but beleive me it does get better and easier the more you go along.

I hope this helps you.
sbinkerd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #13  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinkerd1 View Post
Whatever you do, DO NOT consume carbs in the morning as this will cause the cravings to start up and last all day, killing your will power.
Okay, I have to disagree with you on this one.
My "diet" consists of very similar items, but I don't cut out carbs...especially in the AM and I don't have any problem with my cravings (when I eat right).

AM - breakfast muffin = take a 1 cup measure (plastic dry cup) lightly spraying with EVOO (I use a Pampered Chef sprayer) and put 1.5 Jennie-O 20 calorie bacon slice chopped...1 tbsp of chopped sauteed mushrooms...2 egg whites - throw it in the microwave for about 1.5 min - 2 min and it's done. 1 Thomas whole wheat muffin toasted. add the egg & top with a slice of the 2% milk pepperjack cheese. all that for under 300 calories.

Don't forget the coffee

AM Snack - 1 Breakstone's 2% cottage cheese "snack pack sized" & 1 individual size peaches or pears in extra light syrup (drained)

LUNCH - 4 oz chicken, 2 cups spinach leaves (or fresh salad greens), 5 strawberries, 1 tbsp feta cheese (low fat)

PM Snack - 1 large carrot, 2tsbp hummus

DINNER - 4 - 6 oz chicken or fish, steamed veggie, complex carb

Be sure to get in plenty of water - 1 drink roughly 85 - 100 oz a day.

I am not really a stickler on calorie counting, but I do try to keep it under 1500 calories a day. I try to watch out for the fat & sodium intake - which I keep up with using My Daily Plate. My main focus is to stick to the minimum required amounts for each food group in the Low Carb Food Pyramid.
I am not trying to eat a low carb lifestyle, but I just find that eating like this seems to work better for ME.

This is just a suggestion...I have an eating disorder and I have a very hard time sticking to my healthier eating routine, not because I can't...but because I choose NOT to. I do great for about 3 months...then something will happen and I will slowly get back into my bad habits. I haven't had a good support system until now. I know what to do, what to eat, how to exercise...I just didn't have many people in my life who know how to be properly supportive...now I do.
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote