South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #1  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Default The "On Plan" Thread - week of December 14 - 20, Holiday Madness

The "On Plan" Thread - week of December 14 - 20

Quote:
It's time for a new week of talking On-Plan!

* Anyone, from any phase (1, 1.5, 2, 3, etc.) can post, and those who are new to 3FC are especially encouraged to do so!
* This thread is for questions, sharing advice and strategies, and encouraging each other to stay on plan. It is not for chatting about daily life unrelated to this topic. Members have indicated that they would like to have chatting remain in the Daily Thread, so any posts that are off topic or chatty will be moved by the mods to the Daily.
* Because people from different parts of the plan are posting here, it'll help everyone if you indicate what phase you're in when you post. Thanks!
* While you may certainly find, from time to time, the need to ask for help after going off plan, remember that this thread is about staying on plan. When you share details of off plan foods you've eaten, it can upset, tempt, and otherwise frustrate other members, so please keep these details to a minimum.

So, share with us: How are you staying on plan this week?
This is where the going can get tough. Let's help keep one another accountable and cheer each other on
Old 12-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Don't we know it, Cyndi! The countdown begins!

I vow to eat OP in between events, and try to only have a bite or two of anything off-plan at any events if I can't resist at all. I must keep in mind that I don't want to spend all of January undoing the damage!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:39 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

My plan is to hold the line! There's a big family party on Thursday night which will be a challenge - surf and turf! If my hotel room has a fridge, I'll sneak part of it back for breakfast! The rest of the week will be as OP as possible under the circumstances. I already have the next three days planned.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I've been doing OK foodwise because most of my events have been potlucks. It's taken extra time, but I've taken an OP dessert to every one, in addition to my main dish. It has taken the temptation away from all the scrumptous cookies and cakes.

I've been having a hard time getting alot of exercise in, and decided yesterday I'm going to consider myself "maintaining" until I can get back on my bike again. Once I get to the Eastern slope, my exercise options really taper off. I'm travelling today and was going to skip exercise class because my list is so long, but decided this AM everything else can wait.

Good week everyone!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Debbie, those are great tips for this season! Though it certainly is extra work, I often bring an OP dessert with me to potlucks so I don't feel deprived. If I don't have time, I'll bring a SF pudding, chocolate, or a decadent piece of fruit (this time of year, clementines... ) so I have something.

I think we all have to find the balance that works for us during stressful times. Focusing on maintaining can be a good strategy. (In fact, it's the strategy of the "Lean Plate Club" at the Washington Post!) However, do remember how much exercise can help with stress--and it does make any slip-ups have much less effect. So I'm glad you made the point of going today.

My big problem is getting enough sleep. As DH so wisely pointed out, we have more than enough cookies now to give away--but only five varieties, and we planned 13 (yes, I know, I have a Martha complex! ). I need to find a balance between making a couple more without going overboard and getting my presents wrapped and shipped (which was supposed to happen last Thursday...so far, I have one person done. Yikes!!!). DH is out of town tonight, so I have the fight the temptation to stay up all night to get it all done. Ugh!

My exercise has been good most of the time. I skipped on Wednesday and added an extra 10 minutes of cardio on Thursday (would have done more, but that's all DH would do and we went together) to make it up. I was really physical this weekend, between scrubbing the out of two bathrooms on Saturday and deep cleaning and reorganizing the bunny room yesterday. So I hope I burned a few calories here and there.

The cookies are tempting, even though they're in the freezer, since I had to dive into them twice yesterday (once to make up an early plate for a friend I'll see tomorrow and then again to put together a "sweet treat" to bring to a party today), but making sugar versions of several has helped keep me out of them: in the dim light of the basement, it's hard to tell which are sugar and which are sugar free, so I just stayed out!

So, what are you doing to stay OP this week?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #6  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

I have to confess that I am a terrible spoon and bowl licker after the cookies are made and then I deprive myself of the baked cookies. No more of this, no more licking or tasting and I will spread my cookie portions (one of each) only on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We really don't have too many social functions this year just the family so it won't be too hard.
take care
Sophie
Old 12-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

I've been eating the chocolate oatmeal with a scoop of crunchy peanut butter mixed in for breakfast. I love the smell when it's cooking and it reminds me of some of my favorite cookies. So far it's helping me feel less deprived.

Planning is incredibly important for me. I'm not only planning my meals but planning emergency fixes too. I've started bringing an extra bowl of veggie soup with me so that I have something to eat if I just have to eat. I have to eat that first then reevaluate eating something off plan. By then I'm usually too full and don't want anything extra.

I'm also planning my exercise. It keeps my mood more even (which helps with impulse carb eating) and keeps me burning better.

Days I don't plan I get into trouble and for me one slip often leads to more. As always nothing crosses my lips that contains high fructose corn syrup because that's the sure trigger to a binge. Home baked goodies are my only off plan indulgences and those have to planned into my day in small amounts.

Speaking of planning-
B: chocolate oatmeal with 1/2 scoop protein powder
S: clementine, plain yogurt
L: white bean & barley soup, roasted brussels sprouts
S: veggie soup
D: taco bake

exercise: walk outside!, 2 10 minute fitness segments
Old 12-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Cyndi, what's the chocolate oatmeal? I must have missed something!

Sophie, the fact that most of my cookies include raw eggs keeps me out of the dough. But I know tons of people who are still not disuaded.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #9  
Be happy.

My strategy for the next week and a half is to stay as far away from the teachers' room as possible! The place was wall to wall holiday goodies today and as wild and wound up as the kids are this time of year I could easily give in to temptation.

B - cheese stick, V8
S - yogurt
L - chicken stir fry
S - almonds and choc milk
D - baked squash, steamed broccoli and cottage cheese
Old 12-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #10  
Working on healthy

Schmoodle - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/brea...e-oatmeal.html
I just use my regular Bob's Red Mill 5 grain, add cocoa powder, PB , 1/2 scoop of protein powder and a packet of sweetener. The protein powder is not necessary but I need that extra protein in the morning or I'm starving by 10. I've started adding the cocoa powder with the oats just so the house smells of chocolate

I am happy to report that I resisted the cookies everywhere. I did decide on a different lunch but it was the Co-op's healthy lunch special - a scoop of brown rice with steamed, seasoned mixed greens. I added a few yams to improve my mood
Old 12-15-2009, 06:36 AM   #11  
Be happy.

Long day today, I've got my class this afternoon and of course - there will be holiday goodies. I made SF PB cookies to bring as well as my V8 and pistachios.

B - oatmeal, v8
S - yogurt
L - ww cheese tortellini
S - v8 and pistachios, maybe a SF PB cookie
D - chicken and pepper stir fry
A milky drink sometime during the evening
Old 12-15-2009, 06:47 AM   #12  
Working on healthy

We have a staff brunch today but it's at a local restaurant I know so meal times are off but planning is easy.

S: yogurt
B: huevos rancheros (hold the sour cream, don't eat the tortilla )
L: leftover bean soup, greens
S: veggie soup
D: taco bake

exercise - walk, 2 10-minute fitness segments
Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #13  

Hi everyone,

I have a question and a cry for help.

My question is I stayed longer on Phase 1 and I'm now on Phase 2, but I don't have startches everyday. I'm trying to take it slow, is this a problem?

I work 2 jobs and I can't seem to find time to exercise. Any suggestions.

Thanks so much for all of your support.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:32 AM   #14  
Be happy.

Kimmiblue,

I started phase 1 at a really busy time and because of that I extended phase 1 also. It was just easier to keep eating what I'd been eating than to figure out what to add and how to adjust when life was so hectic.

I don't believe it hurt me any, but I also don't believe it caused me to lose weight more quickly than if I'd gone right into phase 2. For me it was just a convenience thing, I wanted to be sure to stay OP at a time when I was too busy to put much time into menu planning.

The original book says that it's OK to stay on phase 1 for more than the 2 weeks especially if you have a lot to loose, but IMO it's a lot harder to stay truly OP if you stick to phase 1 for too long. And we need the good grains and fruits if we're going to truly be eating a healthful, well balanced diet.

My plan today:

Treadmill if my foot is up to it. Stretching/pilates if my foot is still too sore.

B- oatmeal, v8
S - yogurt
L - ww cheese tortellini, salad
S - hommus and red pepper
D - broccoli cheese soup
A milky drink sometime this afternoon or evening.

Last edited by Heidi58; 12-16-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 AM   #15  
Working on healthy

Apparently I'm doing Phase 2 today. Just turned out that way based on leftovers

B: chocolate oatmeal
S: yogurt & veggie slices
L: Still have that leftover soup and today I'm eating it! maybe with a side of sauteed greens
S: vegetable soup as turned out to be the perfect afternoon snack - almost no calories and very filling and satisfying
D: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/croc...-what-dal.html

Exercise will be the dreadmill and 10 minute fitness segments for flexibility & core
Closed Thread