Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/198/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Holy Cow! I have my surgery date scheduled for Dec. 22! Didn't expect it so soon!

Well...I initiated the process back in August and moved rite along taking the educational seminar, meeting with the nutritionist and finally the psych eval. I had to put things on hold to come up with the rest of the funds since I'm paying for this myself. Friday I finally had it all so I called the surgeons office to see about setting up an appt. I never expected for them to call me in that same afternoon. So I went in and met with the surgeon and the nurse. I was there literally for 3 hours and they answered all my questions. They scheduled me for the RnY Dec 22. Turns out my surgeon (who I researched extensively and hand picked) is leavin his bariatric practice to join another hospital as a trauma surgeon. He promised to stay with all his patients through their 3 month follow up and gave me the option of going with his parner instead. I'm sticking with him because I have complete trust in
him. He also said I can continue come in to the bariatric center for all my followups with the nurses but that he couldn't guarantee his partner would be picking up all his patient load and they're currently looking for another surgeon that will take his plac
e. In spite of this obstacle I'm proceeding...
So I've been reading through the threads to see what I need to prepare. I have looked over the shopping list for the liquid diet I'll be following for the first month after surgery...I would value any ideas anyone can add...including what I should or shouldn't take to the hospital...as much as iv researched it's different now that I have a date that's right around the corner..oh and I have a pre-op class Thursday morning they want me too attend so I'm sure I'll be getting more info there..
DesertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 PM   #2  
Call me Finki =)

S/C/G: 400/300/155

Height: 5'6"

First let me say....CONGRATS!!! On the quick surgery date. It seems from my experience that cash pay always get through quicker. It seems like you have done your homework on the first few weeks post-op diet and since it was 6.5 years ago for me I could scratch my brain and tell you what I did, but I feel like I should add more to the whole what to take and what not to take to the hospital question.
Take your jammies and your little stay over night bag(shampoo, cond., toothbrush, toothpaste, lotion, and don't forget the chapstick) I don't know if you have ever stayed in the hospital or not, but I say, pack your little over night bag as if you are on vacation. My surgeon required that we were up and walking within hours of surgery. I walked the halls the first day in my hospital gown, but as SOON as I could shower( and use my little over night bag) and put on my own jammies, that was the high for me. Take your everyday get ready, comforts of home. To me and all of my 5 hospital stays, it has made a world of difference.
Good luck on your "day of arriving" and God bless.
Gelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:12 AM   #3  

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply The only time I've ever had surgery was a C-section with my daughter 9 years ago so this is all a new experience for me...I have to admit, i was a little freaked out by all the disclaimers they're required to give you regarding the risks of surgery...compounded by the fact the my surgeon will be gone in 3 months...Im trying to stay positive and keep the faith...I believe everything has aligned according to God's plan for my life...it seemed as though it wasn't gonna happened and now everything has just fallen into place...My faith is what is carrying me through this process..that and the support of my DH and family. And like I said, I thought I was ready but as the date approaches, I feel so unprepared...hand holding at this point walking me through what I need and what to expect is greatly appreciated and totally welcome =D

Last edited by DesertMermaid; 12-14-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:53 AM   #4  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Height: 5'2"

Wow, that does seem pretty fast! Good luck!!
I have never had surgery before, but... in addition to the awesome overnight bag, I'd also get an ipod full of music that helps you relax, get a small dvd player or laptop/netbook with a couple of your favorite movies ready to go, or bring a nice book to keep your mind busy. =)
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

WOW!!! that WAS fast!!! congrats! there's a sticky thread at the top - the PREOP SHOPPING THREAD FOR WLS. there are lots of good ideas in there in addition to the ones these ladies have posted.

so your surgeon is going from bariatrics to trauma surgery?? that's quite a change - i wonder why??!! <no need to answer that - i'm just ENDLESSLY curious!!!>

how nervous are you???
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

congratulations!chapstick is something I wish I had when i was in the hospital. i was too asleep to want much of anything else besidse my own jammies and a shower. good luck!
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #7  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

Good luck to you and wishing you a speedy recovery
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good Luck !!!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #9  

Smile

Chapstick...check....slippers...check..reading material...check,,. Robe...check! Thank you all for takin the time to reply with your helpful tips...well guess where I am??? I'm writing from my cell phone in the hospital I had my RnY yesterday and I'm doing great!!! Dr. even said I could go home today if I wanted but I decided to stay another night for good measure. I was on clear liquids all day Monday before the surgery. I was up and walking soon after I awoke from surgery yesterday...when iv been in bed I had leg compressors on squeezing away @ my calves to ward off the clots... and I've had only ice chips. Today I "feasted" on one ounce of broth and one ounce of sugar free jello and one ounce of tea..15 mins per ounce...they gave me a bunch of the little one ounce cups (medicine dispensers) to take home since they are the perfect portion size. I'm excited at how well I'm recoveering so far and praying all continues well once I get home...oh! And I weighed I'd lost 12 pounds from the last dr visit to surgery date...I gotta go fig out the ticker when I get home so I can keep ya'll posted on my progress
Old 12-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

YAY I am glad you are doing so well!
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #11  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Height: 5'2"

Awesome DesertMermaid! Very good to hear you are doing ok. =)
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #12  
Old Cackler

oh this is wonderful news!!!! and a great christmas present [you're not responsible for cooking, are you????]

rest up, darlin!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #13  
Featherweight

S/C/G: 135/130/125

Height: 5'3.5"

Great news
AR4life is offline   Reply With Quote