Old 12-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Anyone have throat pressure?

I have 150 to lose now (used to be 100 when I joined here, how scary is that) and probably should post this on the 200 lb forum, but I'll try here first. For awhile i've felt, on and off, like someone's thumb is on my throat. I've noticed especially at night if I lay on my back I have the pressure on the throat feeling. The doctor didn't find anything wrong and told me I could have it scoped, but it wasn't bad enough at the time for me to do it and it really is just annoying. In any case, I'm wondering if this just has something to do with having a thicker double chin with the fat pressing on the voice box or some other part, since it's worse when I lean back. Anyone else experience this? I got down to 250 a few months ago and it went away, so I'm hopeful. Unfortunately I didn't stay there for more than a week and don't know if I can truly attribute it to a reduction in neck fat.
missy3gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #2  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Not sure.... although I do know that when I was heavier I snored much, much worse. Now that I've lost some of it... yeah. Totally going away. Could definitely be related!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

When I had issues with my throat, it turned out to be mono
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #4  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I had this too and really hated it. I felt like I was being smothered by my chins and chest. I always attributed it to the additional weight/pressure on my airways, but not really sure if that was it. It did get better for me and sounds like it will for you as well. Hang in there!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #5  
I need more coffee.

S/C/G: 280/259/170

Height: 5'9"

Have you had your thyroid checked?
DixieAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #6  

First..did your doc check your thyroid? He would have felt your throat when you swallowed and also there is a blood test called TSH or the full panel of TFTs (thyroid function tests).

Second...yes...the extra weight can put pressure on your larynx and can actually cause sleep apnea. Some people with obesity and sleep apnea have had their sleep apnea go away after losing weight.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 311.5/289.5/150

Height: 5'6"

I've only lost 22lbs but before this I could not sleep on my back. I felt like I couldn't breathe. So, yes, being fat can definitely put pressure on your throat. I would only be concerned if it continues once you lose weight. I have also experienced in the past the feeling that I can't quite breathe deeply enough, like I'm not getting enough oxygen. This is usually when I'm over 300lbs and when I'm laying down. I would have to get up and move around for a time before it went away.
Suezeeque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #8  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

I had this - still have it. It turned up at the beginning of the year, and comes and goes. I was diagnosed with reflux. Most annoying, as I was eating really, really well, and the only thing that I could have cut out that might have been causing it was coffee. So I put up with it, because cutting out coffee would be worse than the reflux.

I don't think it was the chin, as it doesn't seem to be correlated with my weight. I'm hoping that it'll eventually disappear. I do have medication prescribed, but I only take it if it gets to the point where I can't sleep. I find that it significantly reduces my appetite, and so I feel it has helped my weight loss.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote